What's Up, Y'all?

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Greetings DRCers. It has been many moons since I last graced your presence. I hope all of you are well. If you've died since I last checked in, please reply accordingly.

I am well. Thank you for asking. I'm still whimsical yet venerable, cynical yet inspirational. Mostly I'm trying to assemble a band in which I play bass guitar, working and being a dad.

I went to the SiriusXM website yesterday and noticed that nothing has changed. The radios still look crappy and expensive, and the channel lineup looks repetitive and annoying. It was so magical back in 2003 when this was all new and Sirius announced its first 100,000 subscribers on the air. Hell, they even announced individual new subscribers on the air. But, all things must pass.

I wish each of you a Merry Christmas.

Casual Fan

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Greetings DRCers. It has been many moons since I last graced your presence. I hope all of you are well. If you've died since I last checked in, please reply accordingly.

I am well. Thank you for asking. I'm still whimsical yet venerable, cynical yet inspirational. Mostly I'm trying to assemble a band in which I play bass guitar, working and being a dad.

I went to the SiriusXM website yesterday and noticed that nothing has changed. The radios still look crappy and expensive, and the channel lineup looks repetitive and annoying. It was so magical back in 2003 when this was all new and Sirius announced its first 100,000 subscribers on the air. Hell, they even announced individual new subscribers on the air. But, all things must pass.

I wish each of you a Merry Christmas.

Casual Fan
Happy holidays. I think the last time you checked-in, you realized who Koop voted for, and then you disappeared.

Reactions: Casual Fan and JHDK

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Casual!

Your mother and I have been worried sick about you!

Glad to see you check in.

I think we need to have you do a Myers Briggs personality test figure out if whimsy, cynical, or inspirational dominates.

Good luck with the band.
We're still playing.
We still stink. (So we don't play out.)
But we're still having fun with it.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Reactions: Casual Fan

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Who are you again?

I agree your mother IRBS and Hectic has been worried sick about you.

Looking for a new band, why The Open Cointaers kicked you out?

Merry Xmas to you and all a good night.

Reactions: Casual Fan

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Hola. I chk in every now and then to look at the Rural Retreat thread, and stalk you on FB.
Merry Christmas

I follow all the latest cabbage happenings on your FB page

Not dead yet.

The night is young.

Happy holidays. I think the last time you checked-in, you realized who Koop voted for, and then you disappeared.

That mother #$*&!%

Casual!

Your mother and I have been worried sick about you!

Glad to see you check in.

I think we need to have you do a Myers Briggs personality test figure out if whimsy, cynical, or inspirational dominates.

Good luck with the band.
We're still playing.
We still stink. (So we don't play out.)
But we're still having fun with it.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Mom's a dirty whore! Her boyfriend told me so.

I failed the personality test.

On my third band. I think I told you that with the first one, the one-eyed, deaf bassist got dementia and moved to Ohio (really). The second one, the talented guitarist got a job out of town during the week and wanted to spend all his time on the weekends getting really drunk and really high.

The third one is the most promising yet...we shall see. I'm primarily a (b)ass man now. I love it. Got a '95 Fender jazz in Lake Placid Blue.

I see plenty of you on the Book. Both wheels on the asphalt.

Who are you again?

I agree your mother IRBS and Hectic has been worried sick about you.

Looking for a new band, why The Open Cointaers kicked you out?

Merry Xmas to you and all a good night.

I see you on Facebook too. And semipenguin.

Glad everyone is well. I miss you guys. I haven't had a good invasion of Canada for years. They're asking for it, too.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
49576985.jpg

My man Caz’.

You need to bring back your old Starmate avatar with your name in the display

41Z9J5ETNWL._SX300_.jpg

Oops. That one is Wolfies radio.

I remember when you and BatSh*tCrazy would go at it over political views. I think he got banned.

Back in the days when forums were the place to go. Didn’t take long to rack up 1000 posts.

Now days most forums are deserts.

I’m sure DRC has been around a lot longer than SBS was.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Hey I never own a Starmate, but good choice in bands. I don't subscribe to SiriusXM anymore, but i still own my Lynx.

I miss the old glory days of SBS. I just looked up the old site it was around from 2002 - 2008 and DRC was born in 2008. So yep DRC is close to a decade old. Dang, I feel old. :(

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I remember the old Sirius manifesto, the Sirius-XM fanboy wars, that precious handful of years before audio streaming on smartphones and Bluetooth car infotainment systems when your Sirius install was the thing. Trying to get reception indoors. Putting antennas on your house roof. Websites that listed Sirius playlists that were shut down. Finding repeaters. Those red letter days when the channel lineup changed. Arguing whether NYC or DC were better towns for a radio headquarters. Sound quality. Finally being able to rewind.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I remember the old Sirius manifesto, the Sirius-XM fanboy wars, that precious handful of years before audio streaming on smartphones and Bluetooth car infotainment systems when your Sirius install was the thing. Trying to get reception indoors. Putting antennas on your house roof. Websites that listed Sirius playlists that were shut down. Finding repeaters. Those red letter days when the channel lineup changed. Arguing whether NYC or DC were better towns for a radio headquarters. Sound quality. Finally being able to rewind.
Now we're just waiting for Howard to retire.

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I bought a new car last year, had Sirius activated on day one. Then my commute went down to about 5 minutes each way, and saw no reason to pay $25 for 5 minutes of listening in the car (I have no radios at home). Nowadays I stick to Apple Music and Podcasts. Found some interesting ones mostly relating to Cyber Security (my chosen profession after I get my degree). Beyond 'The Colorado Sound' (Colorado's version of 'The Current') and a few NPR news stations there's really nothing worth listening to around here, especially since I moved to small town Northern Colorado.

Board-wise there's a lot of people I'd like to see come back, but I mainly get on Reddit for any sort of meaningful discussion, so that's a nice replacement. I still run 'Theme Songs' around here, and that keeps me around, but forums as a whole aren't what they used to be.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I bought a new car last year, had Sirius activated on day one. Then my commute went down to about 5 minutes each way, and saw no reason to pay $25 for 5 minutes of listening in the car (I have no radios at home). Nowadays I stick to Apple Music and Podcasts. Found some interesting ones mostly relating to Cyber Security (my chosen profession after I get my degree). Beyond 'The Colorado Sound' (Colorado's version of 'The Current') and a few NPR news stations there's really nothing worth listening to around here, especially since I moved to small town Northern Colorado.

Board-wise there's a lot of people I'd like to see come back, but I mainly get on Reddit for any sort of meaningful discussion, so that's a nice replacement. I still run 'Theme Songs' around here, and that keeps me around, but forums as a whole aren't what they used to be.
I use my old phones to stream Sirius inside and outside my home. And I stream in my car. The wife's car has the sat rad, and the daughter. So I get plenty of bang for the buck.

I'd also like to see a bunch of members come back, even the ones I argued with. Hyson, Ernie, Blyons, Ehilbert, TJ-WX (or whatever). I don't think digital radio forums are much of a draw anymore.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I use SXM for travelling. No scanning up and down the dial everytime I change towns. I sometimes listen when driving around my home city. Listen to the 70s or 80s countdowns (depending on year). My wife also still listens to her AirWare when she is at her desk. My SL2 is in a drawer somewhere. Once it's recording failed and there was no way to do a rebuild on it, I gave up.

I do my arguing on Facebook. This place is fine but quiet ... particularly without Wolf ... spelling and all.