• Become a "dumb pipe" distributing other's content

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Bye bye satellite radio

Votes: 25 29.4%

• Total voters

hwkn

Oct 14, 2008
Evanston,IL
Knowing Mel K he'll add commercials to the music channels at some point[as long as it's only 1-2 breaks an hour i'm fine with it].

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Knowing Mel K he'll add commercials to the music channels at some point[as long as it's only 1-2 breaks an hour i'm fine with it].

At first blush, I'd agree with you. But that has the potential to turn off so many subscribers, that the risk of subscriber revenue loss may outweigh the potential incremental revenue. To be honest, satellite radio has not attracted the greatest quality of advertisers on the channels that run ads. Perhaps that would change...

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
The cancellations are coming fast and furious with the musical change lineups. Putting commercials on to make the music channels even MORE like FM would probably cause a much bigger flood and complaints. Wouldn't be worth it. Things are going poorly...better to pull the plug rather than make things even worse THAN pull the plug.

Supafly

Oct 12, 2008
Optimistically voted for "dumb pipe."

Realistically the Sats will probably fall out of the sky into someones backyard.

Would Clear Channel/ Premiere/etc. use sat radio for content distribution or stick with local affiliates?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
At first blush, I'd agree with you. But that has the potential to turn off so many subscribers, that the risk of subscriber revenue loss may outweigh the potential incremental revenue. To be honest, satellite radio has not attracted the greatest quality of advertisers on the channels that run ads. Perhaps that would change...

Does quality of advertisers really matter? We all have radios that can pause and skip through commercials. As long as there's INCOME, does it really matter who the income is coming from?

I would support commercials on some channels during non-peak hours, such as 6 PM PT to 5 AM ET.

Maybe the rest of the time have the dj's say something like "This hour is brought to you by...." where the music doesn't stop for a traditional commercial break, but Sirius is paid for live commericals.

joe2k4

Nov 12, 2008
I can't believe Sirius and XM couldn't get better adds for MLB and NFL. I mean these are huge contracts, and they hardly are selling adds for them.

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
All stocks are low, these days. So, I wouldn't worry more about Sirius XM than about half of the other stocks out there. I think it'll be business as usual. Of course, I might be wrong, and lose my investment in a lifetime sub...

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
All stocks are low, these days. So, I wouldn't worry more about Sirius XM than about half of the other stocks out there. I think it'll be business as usual. Of course, I might be wrong, and lose my investment in a lifetime sub...

I forget the math, but you can get 1 year at $12.95 a month times 11 month. You can get 2 years of service at $12.95 a month times 22 months. A lifetime fee is paid off after 3 1/2 years or so.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I almost think that would be the best thing for it.

Google gets a lot of deserved credit for doing some good things. But they also have taken some good businesses and run them into the ground. Just Google "Grand Central"...the phone service they bought out. See what happened there. Google is not always the cure for cancer.