What's bothering Howard Stern?

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
Today when he mentioned being bothered by something going on at Sirius, my initial thought was contract negotiations. He mentioned something about different hours, probably meaning less hours a week and less days.

But he also said there was something else he didn't want to go into. Who else thinks it has to do with Opie and Anthony? I know they since XM and Sirius merged they weren't allowed to play clips from Howard on their show although they still talk about him here and there. I'm guessing Howie wants another gag order but probably can't get one. That's why he seemed upset and wouldn't go into it on the air.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
I had a feeling something was bothering him months ago. He seemed to be unhappy with the company, and maybe it has to do with the Rosie thing or Sirius XM otherwise not listening to his input. Maybe the iPhone app works into it.

But I seriously doubt O&A even cross his mind on a regular basis.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
He's angry he has to work 4 days a week.

Oh, and he's sick of the same ole replays.

LOL.

Do you think Howard listens to his channels when he's on vacation?

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I had a feeling something was bothering him months ago. He seemed to be unhappy with the company, and maybe it has to do with the Rosie thing or Sirius XM otherwise not listening to his input. Maybe the iPhone app works into it.

But I seriously doubt O&A even cross his mind on a regular basis.

Exactly. This has nothing to do with O&A. I don't think he pays much attention to them at all recently.

This is about the way SIRIUS XM markets Howard Stern and the way Howards content is distributed.....perhaps ;)

k9feces

Oct 20, 2008
Yep Howard is mad that he won't get another $100 million dollar bonus to be on Iphone, but it definetaly has to do with $$$$

Spokker

Jan 15, 2009
Basically, it's the beginning of the end. Howard needs to position himself in a good place to leap to retirement and/or Internet radio and leave Sirius. He needs to make it sound like Sirius fucked up and not him (I'd tend to agree with that general sentiment).

When Howard leaves Sirius will go under or seriously revamp its business model. Satellite radio is not the future and I don't think it has a place going forward.

What Sirius needed to be was fan friendly, but it made too many mistakes and did not correct them fast enough (censorship on some channels). This turned off a lot of loyal listeners.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I think there's just too many options for there to be a single defined way of listening to audio entertainment (music, political talk, non-political talk, etc.) In no particular order, you have Slacker, satellite radio, terrestrial radio, mp3 players, phones, other internet-listening devices, Pandora, and probably a hell of a lot more.

How many of these seven things existed in 2005 as serious competition to the other guys?

Sirius XM could still exist. They existed before Howard, didn't they? If they spend their money wisely, without the need to bid against the other satellite provider, they could do respectable.

What about this? Over time, Sirius XM gets away from the whole satellite thing and moves towards the internet? Your "radio" would be your phone, and you could listen through the traditional internet, or your phone?

Wishful thinking, but maybe they could even partner with someone like Slacker or Pandora, so that users could custom-define their stations with the music they want.

OTOH, Howard is probably at the stage where he could do a podcast on his terms with his hours. The technology is there, but he'd need a studio of some sort, and at this point, would he want to invest in it, or rent something?

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Basically, it's the beginning of the end. Howard needs to position himself in a good place to leap to retirement and/or Internet radio and leave Sirius. He needs to make it sound like Sirius fucked up and not him (I'd tend to agree with that general sentiment).

When Howard leaves Sirius will go under or seriously revamp its business model. Satellite radio is not the future and I don't think it has a place going forward.

What Sirius needed to be was fan friendly, but it made too many mistakes and did not correct them fast enough (censorship on some channels). This turned off a lot of loyal listeners.

I think it still has a place, I don't think it has a place at $12.95 a month in your car(unless you drive a rig for a living)as the landscape of car entertainment options become wider and cheaper.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
OTOH, Howard is probably at the stage where he could do a podcast on his terms with his hours. The technology is there, but he'd need a studio of some sort, and at this point, would he want to invest in it, or rent something?

Howard made it pretty clear (to me) that it was contract issues. If you read into that, that means $$$$$$. If howard were to do a podcast, who would pay him?

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
The guy wants to get paid, can you blame him? We may not agree with what he gets for how many hrs he works but doing the show is obviously about money. Everyone who does any radio show does it for the money. They sure as hell wouldn't do it for free.

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
I don't think it's about money. Howard said it was a small issue that he wanted to deal with himself. If it was money, Howard would think it's not his problem; it would be someone else's, and they would need to fix it. I would guess it has something to do with personalities or policies.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I don't think it's about money. Howard said it was a small issue that he wanted to deal with himself. If it was money, Howard would think it's not his problem; it would be someone else's, and they would need to fix it. I would guess it has something to do with personalities or policies.

This is a good thought. I just don't see what other personalities are doing that would annoy him. It's not like anything is any worse with rival hosts.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
We may not agree with what he gets for how many hrs he works but doing the show is obviously about money.

of course it is, thats why i think there is contract issues. As far as I know (which is basically nothing), people don't get paid for podcasts, so why would howard do that? I believe there is an underlying issue as to why howard is not on the apple app ($$$$$$)

Everyone who does any radio show does it for the money. They sure as hell wouldn't do it for free.

Bull. Howard even said when he first started it wasn't about money. I am pretty sure no-name radio jocks when they start their career make diddly-swat. You need to be pretty big in radio to make any sorta money. I did my college radio show for free.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
of course it is, thats why i think there is contract issues. As far as I know (which is basically nothing), people don't get paid for podcasts, so why would howard do that? I believe there is an underlying issue as to why howard is not on the apple app ($$$$$$)

Bull. Howard even said when he first started it wasn't about money. I am pretty sure no-name radio jocks when they start their career make diddly-swat. You need to be pretty big in radio to make any sorta money. I did my college radio show for free.

I get compensated pretty well for being on the radio. :2funny:

I'm not any good though. :p

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
maybe sirius doesn't want to pay him 100 million a year to do a 2 day a week show for his next contract.

HEY OHHHHHH!!! I think we may have a winner. Now why wouldn't Sirius want to pay $50 mill to $100 mill a year for a 2 day a week show with an extra 11 weeks of vacation? :rolleyes:

Seriously I think it may be some money issues and some policy issues. Howards seems really pissed Rosie isn't on his channel. Say what you want about Rosie, but she's been pretty real since she came out. She likes to say the FUCK word too. So I say the Stars channel isn't for her.

Also think about this..... Howard to this day isn't on the first Iphone app. If it was really anything else but a money issue it would have been worked out by now.