What would make Slacker better?

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
I love Slacker, I think it is just about perfect. But there are a few things that they could use that would make it even better.

1) I wish that they supported podcasts. I would love to be able to get the talk radio podcasts (that I download and or pay for) on my slacker device, that would even make me upgrade to a newer device.

2) I love making my own channels, but I wish there was a way to limit songs from an era. Like I have a station for music that I listened to when I was kid, since I graduated from HS in 1982, I would love to limit that station to 1975-1985.

What about you?

3)

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
I know I'm gonna get torn apart for this, but I wouldn't mind Seeing DJ's. As long as you can continue to shut them off (As you can right now) I don't see the harm in having someone come on and tell you about the music you're hearing. Great for in the car when you can't look down at the display. They have one on Todays Hits and it doesn't work out too badly.

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
I know I'm gonna get torn apart for this, but I wouldn't mind Seeing DJ's. As long as you can continue to shut them off (As you can right now) I don't see the harm in having someone come on and tell you about the music you're hearing. Great for in the car when you can't look down at the display. They have one on Todays Hits and it doesn't work out too badly.

I agree, I would like to see them on more stations. As long as they don't talk over the music and keep the discussion about the artist and the music. I hate when they talk about politics and non artist related crap.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008

They have that ability, but they also have the ability to turn it off. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Russ Davis and Michelle Sammartino on Acid Jazz or Jessie Scott on Alt-Country or Americana.

I also wonder if there is a way to request a song by two artists who don't normally go together, to play on a custom station. Like the song 'Deep River Woman' that Lionel Richie and Alabama did together. I requested that song, but that doesn't mean I want to hear Luther Vandross on a country station because I requested Lionel Richie. Anyone know how to get around that?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
1) I wish that they supported podcasts.

2) I would love to limit that station to 1975-1985.

Yes on both of those or maybe they could add a station that adds several rotating talk programs, you'd have to refresh daily to keep updated, but I wouldn't mind that, you have to download podcast to do so already. Not sure how they could pull that off, but I'd sure like to see them go there at some point.

Clearly on their back end DJ setup they have the ability select specific years and even specific types of music (holiday) (gospel), however they don't make those tools available to us. Maybe they could add those to those of us that have Premium Subscriptions only and that would give folks some incentive to subscribe to the higher priced sub. Though honestly I'd rather they didn't do that because I plan to drop to the Plus when my current Premium runs out. LOL

I've made several decade specific stations and I had to rely on Billboard charts to tell me the years that songs were released on insure the validity of the time on my decade channels. I have 2K Throw Down, 90s Eruption, 80s Explosion, 70s Jukebox, Romance 70s. But I've also created like Country Gospel, not Southern Gospel as those are different. So, again I had to do some digging to figure this out on my own and there should be simple way for me to go in and select say Tennessee Ernie Ford (Gospel) and it would only pull from his gospel albums. Right now you can only make a station my putting all those songs as favorites and then setting favorites to MAX. It works, but takes a lot of work too. I have to admit I have loved doing it though.

One thing I've learned in creating my stations. Just because you type an artist name in and the song doesn't appear. Does not mean it isn't in the Slacker Library. Nope, you have to type it like this; In The Garden, Alan Jackson It will search and then you'll see a secondary screen pop up that you can click on, that song pop up with a heart on it. It won't show up in the list at all, but that song will indeed play into a regular rotation once favored. So, So, much music doesn't show up just by typing the artist name in. But Slackers Library is much bigger than any of us probably realizes. In created my decades stations, I never found a single artist or song that wasn't in the library. Yes, I know it is a lot of work more than what most would be willing to do. But that is the attraction of the service to me.

No, you won't get torn apart at all. I just wish I'd hear, you are listening to Slacker Radio every now and again, but those don't appear to come up on the Plus or Premium subs. Only on the basic. But YES, I'd love some DJ's on the stations because for those that don't want them, they can turn them off.

topcats69

Jan 12, 2009
MN,USA

I would like to see some DJ's too I sometimes like hear some info about the music and would like to hear some news going on around the world.

I would also like a windows mobile app.

A way to buy songs or a link to amazon or something.

drowe

Oct 14, 2008
Better (faster) FF and Rewind on my .mp3s and bookmarking so I could listen to a long podcast, listen to one of the stations and then come back to where I was in the podcast.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
The ability to have player auto start when usb power is applied and auto sleep when usb power is turned off for use in the car.

Multi level song ranking, with more choices than just love or ban.

Totally pass on the DJ's thing. thats one thing that keeps Slacker affordable, no DJ payroll. and a main reason I left SatRad. Turning off Dj's wont help if the price goes up to pay for on air "talent".

lronglien

Nov 10, 2008
Slacker improvements

I need my Slacker to jump up and slap me in head when I forget it when I go to work each morning. Its a long day without the tunes.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The ability to have player auto start when usb power is applied and auto sleep when usb power is turned off for use in the car.

Multi level song ranking, with more choices than just love or ban.

Totally pass on the DJ's thing. thats one thing that keeps Slacker affordable, no DJ payroll. and a main reason I left SatRad. Turning off Dj's wont help if the price goes up to pay for on air "talent".

They have already decided that auto play when USB power is applied is not going to happen, the device already support pausing and going to sleep when USB power is unplugged. That happened via firmware before last.

Care to explain multi-level ranking with more choice that just love or ban as I don't get what you mean by just making that blanket statement. (Elaborate!)

Actually they already have DJ's and Programmers working, so this would not cost them a penny more. These guys just have to record a few voice overs to stick in between songs. Now it they start going after big name DJ's etc, then that is a different thing, but I don't see that happening. But the DJ thing for those that want it would be good.

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
I just wish I'd hear, you are listening to Slacker Radio every now and again, but those don't appear to come up on the Plus or Premium subs. Only on the basic. But YES, I'd love some DJ's on the stations because for those that don't want them, they can turn them off.

Did you try turning DJ's back on? I noticed that with my Plus sub, all my custom stations that don't actually HAVE real DJs, just station ID's had their DJ setting turned off by default. I never bothered because those get old after a while to me; I KNOW I'm listening to Slacker lol.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Did you try turning DJ's back on? I noticed that with my Plus sub, all my custom stations that don't actually HAVE real DJs, just station ID's had their DJ setting turned off by default. I never bothered because those get old after a while to me; I KNOW I'm listening to Slacker lol.

DJ is on via all my stations, but on my Premium I've never heard the station ID's. I found on my G1 which has the free account, the station ID's are about every 1 to 2 hours, but maybe they will get old, since I've only heard them a few times I don't know.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I've made several decade specific stations and I had to rely on Billboard charts to tell me the years that songs were released on insure the validity of the time on my decade channels. I have 2K Throw Down, 90s Eruption, 80s Explosion, 70s Jukebox, Romance 70s. But I've also created like Country Gospel, not Southern Gospel as those are different. So, again I had to do some digging to figure this out on my own and there should be simple way for me to go in and select say Tennessee Ernie Ford (Gospel) and it would only pull from his gospel albums. Right now you can only make a station my putting all those songs as favorites and then setting favorites to MAX. It works, but takes a lot of work too. I have to admit I have loved doing it though.

Wait, wait, "2K Throw Down," "90s Eruption?" MUST SHARE:bigthumbup:

wabc770

Jan 25, 2009
I love Slacker too - the changes I've seen mentioned would be good - I've found myself wanting those too.
Perhaps much of what I want could be done on the pay service ...like

* The biggest one is the oft-mentioned repeats. This is the only thing that really drives me nuts.
Artists on the stations I've designed have dozens of songs that show up in the library, I seem
to keep hearing the same handful.

* Album vs Radio cuts -- My 70s station has a few disco artists. I'd prefer to hear the 3 min radio
version vs the 9 min album cut in that context. The 9 min version would be fine on their disco channel.

* Hits/Familiar/Deeper, etc. I noticed one station I've got at 'familiar' played a LOT of unfamiliar stuff.
I checked Billboard, and sure enuf they charted, but it might be something like #38 on the Soul chart, but
nowhere on the 'mainstream' hot 100 charts. I applaud Slacker for being so thorough in their selections,
and I've heard a LOT of great tracks I've never heard before, but it would be nice to be able to fine-tune
based on which chart.

* Moods: Wanting to hear Open Arms or Waiting For A Girl Like You on my lite rocker, I open myself
to Journey & Foreigner's more up-tempo stuff, which I also like, but Hot Blooded after Endless Love is jarring.
Being able to streamline that would be nice.

* The Classical category is sorely lacking.

* Is everything shown in the library really available? I fav'd and maxed a few long-forgotten oldies, and
have yet to hear them online or on my G1. Don't get my hopes up if you can't actually play them! :)

Final word - most of this is minor. Slacker has made music fun again. The concept is excellent, the execution
is quite good. My online experience seems somewhat better than with my G1 as far as breadth, repeats, etc.

My G1 with the latest firmware has been a beautiful performer. It's updated and played virtually
flawlessly over the few weeks I've owned it.

Reactions: Aaron

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
They have already decided that auto play when USB power is applied is not going to happen, the device already support pausing and going to sleep when USB power is unplugged. That happened via firmware before last.

Care to explain multi-level ranking with more choice that just love or ban as I don't get what you mean by just making that blanket statement. (Elaborate!)

Actually they already have DJ's and Programmers working, so this would not cost them a penny more. These guys just have to record a few voice overs to stick in between songs. Now it they start going after big name DJ's etc, then that is a different thing, but I don't see that happening. But the DJ thing for those that want it would be good.
To bad on the usb auto play. Usb sleep would mean if its playing and loses usb power it auto sleeps if you dont touch it in say 5 mins. as in when you switch off the car while its playing.

Multi level ranking like 0-5 stars. 0 =ban / 5 = love it -
The closer to 5 a song ranks the more it looks for more songs by that artist
The closer to 1 the less frequently it gets played, but its not banned.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
To bad on the usb auto play. Usb sleep would mean if its playing and loses usb power it auto sleeps if you dont touch it in say 5 mins. as in when you switch off the car while its playing.

Right now it will automatically Pause, but won't go to sleep for 2 minutes, so if you see it pause and hit play again then it will continue to play, until the sleep timer reaches the next set pause/sleep interval. Like say you have it set for 60 minutes. If it remains untouched for that amount of time the process will repeat itself.

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing that!

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Right now it will automatically Pause, but won't go to sleep for 2 minutes, so if you see it pause and hit play again then it will continue to play, until the sleep timer reaches the next set pause/sleep interval. Like say you have it set for 60 minutes. If it remains untouched for that amount of time the process will repeat itself.

hm, mine's not working right maybe?
It will be keep playing if power is lost from usb.
Time for another chat session...

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH

I dunno, though. The G2 is already hard enough to use in the car let alone having to rate the songs instead of just fav/banning :roflmao:. I've oftentime's wished for this feature, but when I think about how it would complicate the portable player, I shy away from it.

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
I dunno, though. The G2 is already hard enough to use in the car let alone having to rate the songs instead of just fav/banning :roflmao:. I've oftentime's wished for this feature, but when I think about how it would complicate the portable player, I shy away from it.

They could replace the Heart and ban buttons with Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down, like Tivo. Then you could give it up to 3 thumbs up and three thumbs down. that would be a 0-7 rating.

Three Thumbs - Favorite Play Again
Two Thumbs - Really Like it
One Thumb - Like it
No Thumbs - ok
One Thumbs Down - Not really my style ok to play, just not that often
Two Thimbs Down - play it rarely
Three Thumbs Down - never Play it!