What songs have been ruined for you?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
You have a song you like, and something comes along (it's inclusion in an advertising campaign, movie, whatever) that just ruins the whole thing for you. You still like the song, but whenever you hear it you think of that event. Here's Mine:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_SeaI2ALg4]YouTube - Wayne's World Scene (Bohemian Rhapsody)[/ame]

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Yeah, that one most certainly was ruined. There's really too many to mention. That's why I love that the Beatles worked very hard on keeping their original music off of cheesy music collections and soundtracks and commercials.

I'll go with ANY Who song that has sold a truck or a long distance provider.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
That scene in Wayne's World didn't ruin Bohemiam Rhapsody for me. That was like looking into a mirror aimed at my high school years.

Truck commercials never ruin music for me. I vowed never to buy a Nissan after they used Stevie Ray Vaughan in a commercial, but it didn't ruin the music. Nothing could ruin that.

Tequila, orange soda and nacho cheese Doritos, I ruined that for myself.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
Songs I hear every once in a while are forever ruined by lyrics added by Howard's gang:

Feliz Navidad (Jose Feliciano). Hearing it in a mall around Christmas time last year - I swear he was singing "release Robin's bra".

Backstreet Boys, "I want it that way" (Loser's/Backside Boys "I want it the gay way") and "Everybody" (backside's back).

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Any of the 30 or so songs on my .mp3 player. I always forget to change them until I'm ready to exercise, and then I'm stuck jogging to the same old tired Van Halen. F*ck you, Sammy.

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I was never a big fan of the Modern English song "I melt with You", but that Taco Bell or whoever it was commercial a while back pretty much killed it. All I can think of now when I hear it is all those stupid images of super-stretched cheese coming out of people's mouths.

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
you don't know how many times i wanted to stick pens in my ears after thanksgiving working the second shift because i had to hear little michael sing over and over and over and over again how he saw mommy kissing santa claus last night on the music from the satellite feed.

there's also the humpty dance. every time i hear that song, i think of automatically three old guys tragically unhip talking auto racing that was not nascar and start busting out laughing.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
(A LONG time ago, the first thing that comes to mind)

That Journey song "OPEN ARMS".

She was a Journey FREAK, even loving the COLORS that they liked. :rolleyes:

Then my wife's brothers substituted "BROKEN ARMS" and that totally destroyed the song.

:p

"Here I am, with broken arms..."

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
(A LONG time ago, the first thing that comes to mind)

That Journey song "OPEN ARMS".

She was a Journey FREAK, even loving the COLORS that they liked. :rolleyes:

Then my wife's brothers substituted "BROKEN ARMS" and that totally destroyed the song.

:p

"Here I am, with broken arms..."

Dood! I still do that! . . . . . . sorry. . . . .

Chrissyb

Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
my husband has pretty much wrecked every song that I've liked by making up his own words.. for example:

Nelly Furtado's - I'm like a bird.. he as changed to "hung like a bird" even tho I've never seen a bird weener.

Pearl Jam - World Wide Suicide.. has a part they say "there's got to be another, another, another wayyyy" has has changed to bananas bananas and gravvyyy...

Pearl Jam - You Are.. they say "you are a tower, I am the key" he has changed to you are a sunflower, I have to pee...
Those are just the songs on the top of my head..