What is your listening strategy?

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
When you're in the car or in the house, do you...

1. change channels often, listening to whatever is playing your favorite song at the moment

2. keep it on one channel until it plays something you dislike

3. keep it on one channel for long periods of time.

4. other?

down4six

Oct 14, 2008
Southern Colorado
www.twitter.com
I think my "strategy" depends on the setting and what you listen on. I listen either on a SL2, Starmate 3 ( I think), and on the internet. If its on something with an artist alert, I tended to bounce more. at work, I tend to find something and stick to it. The SL2 is in between, more of the listen until they play something bad. SO I guess it's a combination of all 3.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
In the car, I change channels often, always looking for something better.

At home, I usually pick a channel and keep it on for a long time. I've been enjoying the rewind feature of the radio... replaying a song I really like, skipping over one I don't, etc.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
At home when not sleeping or going to sleep:

1 channel on my SL2. Usually I select a different channel each day and only rarely pick Classic Rewind since I record that one overnight.

While going to sleep:

The Bridge on my SL2 or Tao if I am recording an AT40.

While sleeping:

Classic Rewind is recorded on my SL2.

Waking up:

One channel usually 70s on 7 on my Tao

On the commute and during the day:

I listen to pre-recorded content on my SL2 -- either Classic Rewind or AT40s. With ClassicRewind, I skip songs I don't like.

In a car:

In my car with integrated XM i skip between 6-8 channels.
In a rental I have my SL2 and listen to one channel for about 3-4 hours then change. I pause it when I get gas or need to talk to the boy or on the phone. I then usually play from the buffer and skip songs I don't like.

Reactions: Aaron

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Car: Listen to Howard 100/101 for long periods of time when it is a live show. Flip between about 4 music stations when he's on break. Days it is a rerun or if I've heard the show or boring segment i'll flip then too.

Home: Set it and forget it!!!!! Usually listen over wifi and the constant buffering makes it hard to change channels a lot.

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
In the car I'm always flipping between 22, 21, 26, 24, 15, 8, 7 & 35 (unless the wife is in the car also then it is pretty much 21 all the time).

At work I try to stick with 1 to 2 channels depending on my mood & the playlist mix. I'm going two days in a row with the Bridge right now which happens every once in a while. I'll probably end up on 22 or 21 after lunch if I start getting too drowsy.......

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
When I had SatRad (sl100) It seemed like I was always flipping around looking for something good, or stuck listening to recorded stuff when in the trees/hills.
Now I have slacker and hardly need to touch it. I was worried at first cause it didn't have a dock and I thought I would be messing with it like I did with Sirius, but it just lives happily in the cashtray.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Mostly option #2. Especially at work. I'll usually have a channel on for 4 or 5 hours at a go then switch when I hear something I'm not wild about, or need a change of pace.

Allanon

Oct 17, 2008
With my SL2, I timeshift my listening and I'm able to skip music/talk that I don't like.

I record Symphony Hall during my sleep (6 hours: midnight to 6am)

I wake up with the CBC news at 7am.

During the day I listen to Symphony Hall, switching between the live signal and the overnight recording.

In the evening, I record to NPR's Marketplace (6pm), and the 9pm CBC news.

I sometimes listen live to Marketplace (and the CBC news), but, most of the time, I listen to the recording later in the evening, when I'm done doing other things.

From time to time, I also listen to other talk programs (e.g. NPR news, Car Talk, etc.) and stations, thanks to the TTD suggestions. I rarely listen to music channels other than Symphony Hall.

I'm definitely addicted to Sirius and my SL2.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
When you're in the car or in the house, do you...

1. change channels often, listening to whatever is playing your favorite song at the moment

2. keep it on one channel until it plays something you dislike

3. keep it on one channel for long periods of time.

4. other?

Number 2

joe2k4

Nov 12, 2008
Congrats xan_user go to the slacker board and slobber over your product there. Anyway option 2 or 3 for me depends on my mood. Lately I have been loving the Coffiehouse and leave it there most of the time. If I amlistening to hits music i go between Pop2k and hits1 but stick mostly to pop2k. Also as of yesterday I have been kind of in love with the pulse again. After the merger I stopped listening, but it has sparked again so will see.

bigdaddyII

Oct 13, 2008
Southern Louisiana
During my commute to work I leave it on 101 and listen to BTLS. Commuting home I listen to the news for the first hour of the trip (work nights) and channel surf music the remaining 1/2 hour. At work it stays on one channel, depending on what I feel like listening to at the beginning of my tower. When traveling with wife it is a constant channel surf, two very, very different tastes in music.

siriusdude

Nov 19, 2008
In the mornig when driving I mainly keep it on ESPN radio. I only chnage it when commercials come on. Other times when I am driving I do a bit of channel surfing looking for a song I like. Sometimes I will stay on a staion for a bit but most times I channel surf.

As for home I normally pick one station and leave it there.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
In the morning Howard then Ron & Fez then Jay Thomas I wish Lynn Samuels was on the XM side but after Jay I'm all over the place. At night maybe Spa or one of the classical channels.

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
Other than listening to the race(s) on saturday and sundays and Colts or Patriot games on sundays my Sportster 4 is left OFF.

ThomasM

Aug 10, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
In the car, it's just too easy to press another button when an annoying song comes on so like many listeners I switch around. Surprisingly, I do a lot less button pushing than I used to when I had only FM in the car (those long commercial breaks always generated a button push). A lot of time if I'm listening to one of the Premier Radio Networks/Clear Channel-programmed XM stations, I just press the MUTE button for a minute or two when the commercials appear.

At home I listen to a lot more different types of music. I will usually pick a channel playing the music that suits me for the particular day or occasion and then leave it on unless it really becomes annoying.