Votes: 17 36.2%
  • Make fast changes and eliminations to the lineup

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Pull it off the air and use it for something else

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
Well, it now looks as if Liberty is going to control a part of Sirius XM. What are they going to do with it?

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
I don't understand why Mel is so against Charlie Ergen and Dish taking over. Instead he runs to a giant media conglomerate, who if they get their way I picture even MORE homogenization of the music channels and commercials becoming a part of the music side of the service.

Boo hoo Uncle Mel. Charlie made fun of you a while back. Get the fuck over it and do what's best for you company.

EDIT: Of course I'm assuming Charlie had more in store than just canceling the service and turning it into TV bandwidth. All signs point that way though.

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
I voted that they will basically at least for now let it continue as is...maybe that's just wishful thinking, but I can't see sweeping changes right away.

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
One more note, I said this elsewhere, but I can't emphasize enough that if they get rid of any sports play-by-play (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, or college), then I will cancel the service immediately.

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
+1 with Bandit I will go to Slacker full time if that occurs and plan on getting my self a Iphone so I can listen to my sports.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
+1 with Bandit I will go to Slacker full time if that occurs and plan on getting my self a Iphone so I can listen to my sports.

I'm to the point to where, while I still follow it, I don't watch or listen to sports. I can easily follow it on the iPhone or the Internet. I know ESPN Gamecast is optimized for the iPhone through the mobile site. I followed the Avalanche game and Daytona at the same time yesterday. The music is covered through slacker, pandora and the iPod, and 24/7 wall to wall coverage of sports isn't necessary.

Posted via Mobile Device

itstrue

Oct 13, 2008
There won't be any significant programming changes. Despite what some would like to believe SiriusXM hasn't suffered any meaningful subscriber losses because of any program change. They will probably continue to try and renegotiate some deals, but I think the real focus will be on marketing...all the negative publicity has the general public thinking satrad has failed and is on it's way out, they need to change that image.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
I think some changes are in order. Some of the heavy contracts need to be cut or reduced in order for the company to stay solvent. One has to wonder what the impact of less like channels will have on the bottom line. An example is if four country music channels merged into three and so on. I don't see a drastic reduction in subscriptions or the estimated 2 billion in annual revenue they produce.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
I think if anyone sees the value is sports programming it's Directv. I'd like to see them put the publicity machine to work undoing some of the damage that's been done lately. I think it's a foregone conclusion that changes will be made. I happen to think there is enough bandwidth between the 2 services that channels could be created that serve the tastes of different people. (some channnels hits based, others deep) There are also huge savings to be made phasing out contracts with artists who put their names on the channels, and doing away with the people like oprah, jamie foxx, eminem, bruce springsteen, sinatra, blue collar, etc. That don't add any revenue, but cost lots of money. Look if you want a channel that plays nothing but Springsteen, you don't have to put his name on it, and pay him a lot of money. There are also savings in consolidating call centers with Directv. And we can always hope they can bring in the resources to make better radios with even more compelling features.

secrecyguy

Oct 15, 2008
Southern California
www.youtube.com
I don't see them leaving it as it is now.

They not making any money how it is being run now.

I do see them making few changes slowly and getting rid of channels.

I don't see them making changes quickly though because I am sure they need to have meetings and make plans on what to do to make the company profitable.

I don't see them getting rid of satellite radio and do something else with the satellites.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
One more note, I said this elsewhere, but I can't emphasize enough that if they get rid of any sports play-by-play (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, or college), then I will cancel the service immediately.

Well for many of us that already have turned to Slacker for our music. This is all we keep the service for, along with some talk channels. So, if they ditch this stuff, then I'd like have no reason whatsoever to subscribe any longer!

I don't see it happening though, I think since the loans have come we'll continue to chug along. I do think they will likely attempt to renegotiate some of these things going forward. The biggest pimps out there is MLB, so fat chance on that one, but it is possible that NFL, NBA, NHL will at least come to the table.

I do think that Oprah and Martha, I'd just cancel their radio shows/channels and be done with that mess!