What is the average cost?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Ok, so I have a year left to go with Sprint. I like them, and next year I'd like to upgrade to a Blackberry. I love my iPod, and I would love to have an iPhone, but I hate AT&T.

If I decided to switch for the iPhone, about how much should I expect to pay per month for phone and data?

$120.00/mo?

At least I wouldn't have to get an aircard for my computer...:)

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I have the low-end talk plan (450 minutes for $59), Unlimited Text and Unlimited data. With Fees my bill comes to about $100 a month. 101.25 to be exact.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
At least AT&T has rollover minutes...:D

I did some math on it today. AT&T's data plan costs $30/mo...:shock:

Oh well. I think I'll just go with a Blackberry...:)

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
You can use a bberry as a tethered modem thru bluetooth. Might be a way to get out of the need for an aircard. Depends on how tech patient you are, too.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
If the rumors are true, you'll be able to do the same with the iPhone with the 3.0 upgrade. That's not a feature I would use regularly unless I was in a place that didn't have wifi access or 3G. And those are rare around here.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
AT&T isn't very flexible when it comes to their plans rather voice or data. I got an iPhone when they first came out, but AT&T coverage area was so poor in the rural areas where I would use it the most that I ended up returning it. I put the blame on their coverage and was so strong about it that they ended up waiving the restock fee on the iPhone. I liked the iPhone a great deal, but if you can't use it then what good does it do you to have a nice phone.

Since that time AT&T has purchased my local cell service (Centennial Wireless) still pending approval. So, I may end up back with AT&T afterall, but at least with the better coverage.

I too have checked out their plans and unlike Jon I talk on my phone A LOT so I need a plan with a lot more minutes and really have no need for unlimited data. I'd rather them give me a very small data plan with a much larger voice minutes for a lower price. But then if you go with any PDA phone with AT&T they force you to do that freaking data plan. My previous cell service not only allowed for a small data plan, but larger minute plans with free incoming minutes and free incoming text. AT&T charges you for every text rather sending or receiving and every call. I am strongly considering going ahead and doing a new contract with my existing service prior to AT&T taking over as they will honor existing contracts. So, I'd continue to get free incoming, free incoming text, which includes unlimited outgoing text and picture messaging for $4.99 per month. However, that would keep me stuck with the same phone and that I don't like. Still I don't see myself doing another iPhone I think I've actually outgrown (like having the iPod Touch with my own phone) it to some degree, but you never know.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I have the low-end talk plan (450 minutes for $59), Unlimited Text and Unlimited data. With Fees my bill comes to about $100 a month. 101.25 to be exact.

I have the low end talk and it's 39.99 a month (450 minutes).

I have the unlimited data plan which includes 200 texts for $20 a month (1st Gen iPhone).

My bill is $65 a month.

I do have FAN discount, but I cannot use it on my 1st Gen iPhione.

If there's a new one in June or July I will upgrade then.

Jon, do you have a FAN? There are many promo codes to add that save big money. I have a link if you need it. Just PM me.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
My wife and I each have iphones with: unlimited data, 2100 anytime minutes with rollover, unlimted text all for $170/month.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The issue is that not everyone needs unlimited data and it seems that AT&T doesn't get that. Save me some money on the data plan, so I can get a higher minutes plan and we are set.

The service I have now cost me $60 a month and to get an iPhone at the level of calling I do will end up costing me almost double!

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
My wife has an iPhone and can't use her FAN discount on the first gen units. I believe I've read that you can use it on the 3G version.

The iPhone vs. Blackberry question is one I think about a lot. I have a Blackberry 8830 with Verizon and my wife has the iPhone so I've been pretty hands on with both. When you add it all up, the costs are more or less the same. To me, it comes down to personal preference and how you plan to use it. I like the full "hard" keyboard, and live on email/texting. You are not going to beat the Blackberry for email and PIM functions. Everything is synched over the air, and email is instantaneous. Blackberry web browsing leaves a bit to be desired, and the iPhone can't be beat for music/video and a constant stream of apps.

The Slacker app on the BB is awesome however. I love the ability to cache stations to the multimedia card so that I can listen on the go without having to worry about cell coverage.

P.S. You would not want to be on a metered data plan with the iPhone. It's a real data hog. I am shocked as to how much data my wife burns through in a month, and she's a pretty casual user.

TheScionicMan

Oct 11, 2008
Data is cheaper for them to send. Voice takes up much more system resources. Plus like limegrass69 mentioned, how do you know how much data you're pulling? I manage over 100 bberrys and when they travel abroad, we sometimes have to pay per KB and it gets ugly real quick.

Plus the "fear of overage charges" mentality they've whipped us into with voice charges makes it seem like the obvious choice...

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Data is cheaper for them to send. Voice takes up much more system resources. Plus like limegrass69 mentioned, how do you know how much data you're pulling? I manage over 100 bberrys and when they travel abroad, we sometimes have to pay per KB and it gets ugly real quick.

Plus the "fear of overage charges" mentality they've whipped us into with voice charges makes it seem like the obvious choice...

I'm the BES admin here as well. I have not been able to figure out a rhyme or reason for data usage for my users. Some 'berrys seem to be more chatty than others, and so-called power users often have data usage amounts that's lower than some more casual ones. Everyone here is on an unlimited plan...it's more my own curiosity.

TheScionicMan

Oct 11, 2008
See if the heavy users have Google Maps. I use it a lot and it pulls a lot of data. It's so cool tho, especially now that I have a device with GPS.

I want to push Google Maps out to all my users and then secretly enable Latitude so I can track their whereabouts. How fun would that be?? :whistle:

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I'm sure the users would love it. I get several complaints per month from people who want to disable their mandatory password locks. I'm amazed that most of my users have not flushed them down the toilet or left them on a train.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I was mistaken, $39.99 for the 450 minute plan. But I have unlimited data ($30) and text ($20) which brings the plan up to about $90. With taxes and fees that puts it above $100. It might be worth it for me to go for the $99.99 unlimited everything plan, I don't imagine it would cost me too much higher than what I'm paying now.

What is a FAN?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
They opened up an AT&T communication center in Joplin about a year and a half ago. Maybe I should get some office clothes and go become a telemarketer and get a discount...:)

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
My wife got a 21% discount through her last two companies on AT&T/Cingular.

I know Verizion Wireless gives my employees discounts just for working here. You can go to their web site, hit in your company email address and they'll send you a message that tells you what you are entitled to.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I get something like a 10% discount with Sprint through OOIDA (Owner/Operators, Independent Driver Association)...:right:

I think I could get a bigger discount if I went through the VFW. Sprint gives discounts to members of the VFW, but I haven't checked into it yet...:)

Technically, I'm self employed, since the guy who's truck I drive makes me pay my own taxes...:worried: