What if SIRIUS XM never produced another portable?

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
I've been looking into getting a 2010 Altima Coupe 3.5SR 6MT. If I do, I will likely get the iSimple kit so I can get Sirius in it instead of XM. Whether I'll use the SCVDOC1 to connect my Stiletto 2, I'm really not sure.

Unfortunately Nissan is like other car companies in the sense that they think people who would want a Manual transmission do not have money for the Navigation system. Bizarre situation there.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
I wouldn't mind XM, I preferred it over Sirius when they were seperate, and had it when they had Music Lab, Luna and other good stations, but that's another thread. Seems like XM with Best of Sirius would be plenty.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I wouldn't mind XM, I preferred it over Sirius when they were seperate, and had it when they had Music Lab, Luna and other good stations, but that's another thread. Seems like XM with Best of Sirius would be plenty.
Absolutely I honestly found no reason to stay with Sirius and even now find no reason to want Sirius Network. I think XM Network with with more music stations and MLB, NBA and ton's of college sports was a better match for me. During NFL season I add the BOS and when FS is over I take it off my account. I also happen to think XM sounds better than Sirius when listening to music too. Especially on my Skydock setup. I guess for those that are Howard fans it may make more sense, but not for me!

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
Absolutely I honestly found no reason to stay with Sirius and even now find no reason to want Sirius Network. I think XM Network with with more music stations and MLB, NBA and ton's of college sports was a better match for me. During NFL season I add the BOS and when FS is over I take it off my account. I also happen to think XM sounds better than Sirius when listening to music too. Especially on my Skydock setup. I guess for those that are Howard fans it may make more sense, but not for me!
XM definitely sounds better. It's night and day.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I agree they sound diffent. I like the Sirius sound better. It has more bass which is more to my preference.
More bass, but flat otherwise! I like the more even sound on XM, seems the stereo separation is just a bit wider so the lows and highs are balanced.

Sound quality though is very subjective and there are way too many factors to argue the point one way or the other. Not everyone has amps, subwoofers and killer speakers, some just have a factory setup with a low-end head unit. So what each person hears will vary widely.

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
Sirius also varies from stream to stream, partially because of S>PLEX and partially because of where the min/max are. The more popular channels seem to get a better bitrate, at least as the sound goes.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Sirius also varies from stream to stream, partially because of S>PLEX and partially because of where the min/max are. The more popular channels seem to get a better bitrate, at least as the sound goes.
Very good point, I always forget about that! There were some days when this really grated my ears pretty bad too!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
More bass, but flat otherwise! I like the more even sound on XM, seems the stereo separation is just a bit wider so the lows and highs are balanced.

Sound quality though is very subjective and there are way too many factors to argue the point one way or the other. Not everyone has amps, subwoofers and killer speakers, some just have a factory setup with a low-end head unit. So what each person hears will vary widely.

I did say 'to my preference'. I make no outright statements about SQ since that is all to the personal opinion of the listener.

Sirius is also louder (at full volume).

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
I've been looking into getting a 2010 Altima Coupe 3.5SR 6MT. If I do, I will likely get the iSimple kit so I can get Sirius in it instead of XM. Whether I'll use the SCVDOC1 to connect my Stiletto 2, I'm really not sure.

Unfortunately Nissan is like other car companies in the sense that they think people who would want a Manual transmission do not have money for the Navigation system. Bizarre situation there.
Not to hijack this thread, but are you sure the 6MT is available on any new Altimas? In the most recent Nissan eNewsletter, it appears that the CVT is the only trans available now on ANY Altimas.

Nissan has been abandoning its sporty models right across the line. The MT on the Maxima went away years ago, the Murano is no longer offered in an SE version, and (apparently) the sporty Altimas are a thing of the past now as well. Oh well, there is always Infiniti or BMW. (again, sorry for the hijack)

drdroo

#1 by Women 18-24
Staff member
Oct 9, 2008
Bangor, ME USA
Not to hijack this thread, but are you sure the 6MT is available on any new Altimas? In the most recent Nissan eNewsletter, it appears that the CVT is the only trans available now on ANY Altimas.
You are incorrect. Altima Coupe still has a 6MT. They did drop it from the Sedan in all trims and engine configs though for 2010.

Nissan has been abandoning its sporty models right across the line. The MT on the Maxima went away years ago, the Murano is no longer offered in an SE version, and (apparently) the sporty Altimas are a thing of the past now as well. Oh well, there is always Infiniti or BMW. (again, sorry for the hijack)
I don't make that kind of money. It's not just Nissan though, it's most companies that don't respect a manual under 40K. The closest thing would be the Honda Accord V6 but I think it basically lacks personality. Honda doesn't think people with a manual would want leather either.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I did say 'to my preference'. I make no outright statements about SQ since that is all to the personal opinion of the listener.

Sirius is also louder (at full volume).
Of course it is all based on our preference or our particular setup. Like Sirius being louder, that could be your setup, that could be your particular radio. I find the XM Skydock to have the loudest output on any sat radio I've used to date. Then again I can actually increase my aux-input volume on my head unit, not everyone can do that either. All so subjective!