What do you do for a living?

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Just realized that I really have no idea what most of you do for a living - although I've been talking to you for years. Seems like a lot of you are IT of some type.

Me: Active duty, Army (in case you hadn't gathered that).

Reactions: hyson

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
I manage mutual funds for 50 of the richest people in the USA :right:

I'm my spare time I drive a truck :)
Posted via Mobile Device

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Police Communications Operator...

Other details are classified.

/if you chose to accept this mission, this thread will self-destruct in 5...4......

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
So you answer 911 calls?

I shall now have to kill you.

But yeah, sort of.

I don't work in a County 911 center so I don't field fire or medical calls.

If a criminal incident occurs outside the jurisdiction of a local department, the county will transfer calls to me and I dispatch State Police.... the title is sort of a misnomer for what the job actually entails though. So..... yeah...... any other questions? I'd be happy to answer, if I can.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.

But yeah, sort of.

If a criminal incident occurs outside the jurisdiction of a local department, the county will transfer calls to me and I dispatch State Police.... the title is sort of a misnomer for what the job actually entails though. So..... yeah...... any other questions? I'd be happy to answer, if I can.

If my address ever comes over the line, feel free to send the police to the "Jon and Kate" house across the street.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
If my address ever comes over the line, feel free to send the police to the "Jon and Kate" house across the street.

Funny. As far as I understand the story, State Police were recently dispatched to their house in Wernersville, PA for some sort of domestic situation...

And yes, I do have Bam Margera's home and cell phone number from our records. :hhh:

bsummers12

Oct 13, 2008
Portsmouth, Ohio
Maintenance Supervisor for the Dept. Of Energy at an uranium enrichment facility. In my spare time I am a Motor SGT for the 1191st Ohio National Guard and own and operate a small ATV repair shop.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
IT for a farming group (two-way satellite stuff) and educational non-profits.

Mostly I watch little progress bars while waiting for functions to complete.

But this time of year i turn into Edward scissor sticky hands.

Reactions: Biaviian

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com

But yeah, sort of.

Very cool! And probably stressful.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I'm a Rep for Osram Sylvania in the Industrial Commercial division.

The job is pretty much like a drug rep job but instead of doctors I call on Electrical Distributors. I have a pretty good sized territory so I drive a lot. I like my job.

I do a lot of trainings, eductation, presentation, etc.

I am awesome in front of large groups and can make your head spin with Power Point animation skills.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Funny, I have a test/possible interview coming up on Thursday for a Public Safety Dispatcher position in my county.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Funny, I have a test/possible interview coming up on Thursday for a Public Safety Dispatcher position in my county.

What State and County?

The initial test shouldn't be too hard. Probably just a general knowledge test to make sure you're literate and aren't mentally unstable.

After your formal training, you have to take a test to become certified (Nationally and State for me). The stuff regarding how to operate the computer systems and databases aren't too bad, it's trying to compose yourself while dealing with dipshits.

Any questions, PM or something.

Oh, and good luck.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
What State and County?

The initial test shouldn't be too hard. Probably just a general knowledge test to make sure you're literate and aren't mentally unstable.

After your formal training, you have to take a test to become certified (Nationally and State for me). The stuff regarding how to operate the computer systems and databases aren't too bad, it's trying to compose yourself while dealing with dipshits.

Any questions, PM or something.

Oh, and good luck.

Adams County in Colorado. They do Disptach for about 15 different jurisdictions in one agency, I don't know if that's 1 dispatcher in each agency or 1 dispatcher working all 15. Haven't gotten that far yet. The test is Thursday night, and we'll see what happens after that. I applied for it over a year ago, and I'm just now getting a call so I don't guess they hire just anyone. I have inbound and outbound Customer Service and Collections experience, so I'm familiar with dealing with dipshits. :D

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
so I'm familiar with dealing with dipshits. :D

Oh, so you think.... Just wait until you get your first call where you want to ask, "Seriously? Is this a prank phone call?"

Just a few, for example:

Caller: The water pipes in my basement are broke. What do I do? Waaaaaa!
xxxxxxx
Caller: There's a pretty bad bee hive in my backyard, what do I do? Can bees kill people?
xxxxxxxx

You can't make this shit up; that's why I'm documenting it and writing a book.

Andrew8468

Plans on freezing in the dark
Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
I'm a Canuckistani providing internet technical support, billing and television technical support for a very, very large American cable company. And I get those calls as well.

I really should keep better notes. On one of my last days there I am going to tell someone to pack their computer up and take it back to the store because they are too stupid to own one.

That said, it is way past my bedtime.