What can one do with a stolen Drivers License?

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Hello all! Have any of you had your drivers license stolen or know of anyone who has?

Here's the situation... a family member stole my drivers license about 10 years ago. I have an unique combination of first and last names... there are only TWO people in the USA with my name.

The other night, I searched my name on the web... three turned up. One is me. The other is the valid person that also has my name, but the third person has four different addresses and phone numbers in the different states and towns where I know this family member has moved over the years. :scared: Clearly, he's has been using my name on his phone bill at a minimum. AND... he moved to the last address only about a year ago, so even though the license has long expired, he's somehow able to still go about using my name. :eek:

I'm just wondering what else he could've done while using my name over the years. I know wallets and purses can be stolen, and I'm wondering if anyone else here has ever dealt with this (or know of someone who has).

:confused:

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
might wanna do a background check on yourself. If he's willing to open fraudulent accounts in your name he may have warrants out on him with your name on it. Check your credit as well.

leth

Jan 4, 2009
Southern Ontario
Yes, a credit check would be the first thing to do (personally I do one ever year, just to be safe). As long as he didn't get your SS# you should be ok, although you never know. I wonder if he's been getting the DMV to re-issue a drivers license every time he moves.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Thanks! Yes, I put fraud alerts on my credit when he stole the license. I do check my credit reports every year, and nothing fishy has ever happened. For that reason alone, I don't think he knows my SS# because his credit is miserable. I'm sure he would've tried to get a credit card in my name if he could have.

My license was reported stolen in my state long ago, but it seems that that information does not carry over to other states.

Yesterday I got detailed information (the street addresses) of the phone numbers listed under my name, and the odd thing is that neither of them are HIS addresses, but they are in the same towns where he lived, so I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe he gave my information to friends that needed it? Who knows what's going on?! Maybe he didn't guard my license closely and the information is being used by others?

I checked my credit reports two days ago. All is cool with them, so I think I'll be ok. I hope so, anyway! It's pretty crappy that I still have to live with this hanging over my head though, especially after all these years.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
He's led a lifestyle that is the polar opposite of mine. He been arrested, has addiction issues, no license (DUI's), no credit, etc., etc. He relies on my dad to bail him out all the time, so I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place. If I take legal action against him, it's only going to harm my father and cause a problem for ME in the end. It's a very precarious position for me to be in.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
He's led a lifestyle that is the polar opposite of mine. He been arrested, has addiction issues, no license (DUI's), no credit, etc., etc. He relies on my dad to bail him out all the time, so I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place. If I take legal action against him, it's only going to harm my father and cause a problem for ME in the end. It's a very precarious position for me to be in.

The truth is your Dad needs to not enable him anymore. And you need to take action if he does anything. It really sucks that you have to deal with something like this.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Believe me, I know. But my father is set in his ways, and my guess is that somehow he feels guilty about how he turned out. So he continues to enable because he knows he's dealing with a troubled person and he feels responsible for helping him out of his messes (because everyone else has given up on him). And like I said, if I take action, it's only going to harm my dad.

Now though, I can't really prove anything because the addresses under my name do not match the addresses he's lived at. Only the towns match.

:confused:

I'll just need to keep an eye out, I guess.