What are ya making for Thanksgiving?

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
I'm making the turkey, dressing and gravy. The wife is making the sides and pumpkin pie.

The turkey has been brining since yesterday morning and the turkey stock and cornbread has already been made for the dressing. Tonight we make the cranberry sauce.

What are you folks having?

Reactions: semipenguin

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
I don't make anything for Thanksgiving, as we go to my mom's house on Thanksgiving, then the MIL's for the day after, however, I will help them fix whatever they need there.

BTW, brining a turkey is the only way to go! I really think it is remarkable the difference it makes...

:cool:

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I'm helping make the house clean because a whole bunch of family people are coming over. I might make some mac and cheese. Women folk are handling most of the cooking. I do tech support.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
BTW, brining a turkey is the only way to go! I really think it is remarkable the difference it makes...

:cool:

I know. I've been brining forever. The only down-side is it takes up a TON of room in the fridge (when you need the fridge space the most).

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I'm making the turkey, dressing and gravy. The wife is making the sides and pumpkin pie.

The turkey has been brining since yesterday morning and the turkey stock and cornbread has already been made for the dressing. Tonight we make the cranberry sauce.

Can I come over? ;)

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
On Thursday its crab feast. -nothing to cook.

On Saturday its BBQ/rosemary-smoked turkey on the Weber and all the fixins. (Use fresh branches of rosemary to maximize the smoke.)

Mmmmmm... cornbread AND sourdough stuffing smothered in the smokey rosemary turkey gravy....

But the best is my dad goes all out on pies; pecan, pumpkin, and sour cherry.- sometimes even lemon meringue. :p

P.S. -Dont forget to put sliced almonds in the green beans!

edit: I always brine my turkeys. -since even before food had its own network.

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
What exactly is this Brining you speak of?

Oh and Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends on the other side......

This is Alton Brown's Turkey Brine Recipe, I have used it 3 times now, and it is great.
BTW: Oren if you use the method that Alton uses here, you don't need to put it in the fridge. My turkey comes out looking like Martha Stewart has been cooking, and it is unbelievably juicy.

Alton Brown's 'Good Eats' best-ever turkey brine recipe - From Inside the Box - Zap2it

Reactions: Calypso

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
This is Alton Brown's Turkey Brine Recipe, I have used it 3 times now, and it is great.
BTW: Oren if you use the method that Alton uses here, you don't need to put it in the fridge. My turkey comes out looking like Martha Stewart has been cooking, and it is unbelievably juicy.

Alton Brown's 'Good Eats' best-ever turkey brine recipe - From Inside the Box - Zap2it

Yes, I've seen that technique on his show. I do a slow-brine though (it's not a strong salt solution), which takes 3 days. Then the turkey is removed, patted dry, then left uncovered in the fridge for 24 hours to further dry the skin. I already had to make the room for the brining step and since I have to put it in the fridge to dry it anyway, it makes more sense for me to do it that way, rather than using a cooler.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
On Thursday its crab feast. -nothing to cook.

On Saturday its BBQ/rosemary-smoked turkey on the Weber and all the fixins. (Use fresh branches of rosemary to maximize the smoke.)

Mmmmmm... cornbread AND sourdough stuffing smothered in the smokey rosemary turkey gravy....

But the best is my dad goes all out on pies; pecan, pumpkin, and sour cherry.- sometimes even lemon meringue. :p

P.S. -Dont forget to put sliced almonds in the green beans!

edit: I always brine my turkeys. -since even before food had its own network.

That sounds great! I WISH I had a smoker. I live in a garden apartment complex so grills and smokers aren't allowed. :mad:

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
That sounds great! I WISH I had a smoker. I live in a garden apartment complex so grills and smokers aren't allowed. :mad:
did you ever see when Alton smoked some fish in a card board box with wood chips from a cabinet shop? Priceless.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMk-y6330aE&feature=related"]YouTube - Good Eats S4E1P2: Where There's Smoke, There's Fish[/ame]

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
The menu (not cooked by me) calls for...

Turkey
Ham
Rice Dressing
Chicken Gumbo
Potato Salad
Green Beans Casserole
Sweet Potato Pie

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
The menu (not cooked by me) calls for...

Turkey
Ham
Rice Dressing
Chicken Gumbo
Potato Salad
Green Beans Casserole
Sweet Potato Pie

I love sweet potato pie.

I see that you're in LA. Do you get country ham or city ham?

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
Well, I personally only deep fry the turkey. The wifey and MIL take care of everything else for the most part. I try to stay out of the kitchen when those 2 are cooking up a storm, I just get in the way.

I do a heavy salt/sugar brine for 24 hours, then deep fry it.

Quick question, you might know the answer oren: When I deep fry the turkey, the skin is uber crispy when I take it out of the fryer, but then as the turkey rests, the skin looses its crispyness. How do I keep the crispyness? Cover it with tin-foil?

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Quick question, you might know the answer oren: When I deep fry the turkey, the skin is uber crispy when I take it out of the fryer, but then as the turkey rests, the skin looses its crispyness. How do I keep the crispyness? Cover it with tin-foil?

I have never fried a turkey (I can't do that around here) although I know how to do it. If you want better skin, do NOT cover it with foil (the skin will steam).

You have a short resting period but that'll be fine.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
No cooking this year, it is fun, but I don't want all the work! I did the Piccadilly take out deal that you just have to heat up. It is a full meal for up to 8. Heat and Serve! Then have fun, now that is what I am screaming!