What Apple may have in store for 2013

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
5 New Apple Products Coming This Year

How will Apple (AAPL) follow up a 2012 lineup that included two new tablets, a new notebook and a new phone? Analysts Gene Munster and Douglas Clinton of Piper Jaffray took a stab at predicting what used to be unpredictable: Apple's product calendar. Their report includes a number of not-so-prominent product upgrades, which lead Piper's analysts to the conclusion that 2013 "will set the stage for bigger changes in the product lineup in 2014 and beyond." But even a slow year from Apple tends to turn some heads. Here are five possible Apple products to look for in 2013.

Apple Radio, March 2013

Media discussion surrounding Apple Radio has been ongoing since October, so an expected release in early 2013 would come as no surprise. The free radio service -- which would make money through ad revenues -- will most likely be part of iTunes and offer major competition to the likes of Pandora. The day after Bloomberg News reported the possibility of Apple Radio in October, Pandora stock fell 12%. Piper analysts believe that Apple Radio will be unveiled alongside another product launch in March, possibly....

iPad mini with Retina Display, March 2013

Apple sold more than 3 million iPads with retina display over a single weekend in March, and between 8-10 million iPad mini devices are reported to have shipped by the end of 2012, according to Digitimes. By combining the best of both products, Apple is hoping to maintain its place atop of the growing tablet market. The timing would make sense; Apple launched new iPads in March of 2011 (iPad 2) and 2012 (iPad with retina display). In theory, a retina display makes the pixels impossible to detect from a normal viewing distance, providing crystal clear images on the screen. The current iPad mini display has 1024-by-768 resolution, the same as the iPad 2.

iOS 7, June 2013

Apple users were outraged with the iOS 6 upgrade that eliminated YouTube and Google Maps apps. Apple's maps app was so bad, in fact, that CEO Tim Cook issued an apology to customers in September and even encouraged them to try competitor's apps until the problem could be resolved. Factor in the management shakeup that resulted in the firing of mobile software chief Scott Forstall, and the pressure is on Apple to come back strong with iOS 7. Look for Passbook, the mobile wallet feature of Apple's operating system, to play a more prominent role in the upgrade.

iPhone 5S, June 2013

Munster and Clinton believe a new iPhone 5S will come out in September, although some reports have pegged a launch date as early as June. The iPhone 5 was a September release; so was the iPhone 4S in 2011. Regardless of the date, users can expect an updated camera (as usual) and better battery life. The 5S will look the same as the iPhone 5 -- same screen size, same width -- but the new stuff will all be inside. Apple sold over 5 million iPhone 5 devices in the phone's first weekend in September.

Apple Television, November 2013

Not just the digital receiver box already available as Apple TV -- an actual Apple Television. The timing would make sense, right before the holiday season, but not all Apple followers are convinced a TV will actually hit the market in 2013. For starters, analysts have predicted an Apple Television would arrive for years with nothing to show for it. Plus, television margins are small, and Apple products are notorious for having some of the largest margins in the industry. Munster and Clinton predict an Apple TV will measure 42" to 55" and cost between $1500 and $2000. Similarly sized plasma and LCD TVs from Vizio, Samsung and Panasonic all clock in at under $1000, but Apple has never shied away from offering high quality at high cost.

FlyersFan76

Nov 28, 2011
There were 3 new tablets this year.

(2) iPads and (1) mini.

And I (and I am sure others) were hoping Passbook would have also worked like the Key Ring app. So maybe the iOS7 update will address this.

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I think the real deal is because competition is so strong now with so many models from various manufacturers. Apple is no longer going to be able to stick to a once a year cycle on some products. I suspect we may see a new iPhone, iPad's sooner rather than later...

dualsub2006

Nov 11, 2008
I'm not sure what Apple has planned for 2013, but I do know that fewer and fewer of my iOS using friends and family care any more. The iPhone 5 seems to be Apple's jump the shark moment among almost everyone that I know that have been diehard users.

Should be interesting to see how many users Apple can hold on to.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I'm not sure what Apple has planned for 2013, but I do know that fewer and fewer of my iOS using friends and family care any more. The iPhone 5 seems to be Apple's jump the shark moment among almost everyone that I know that have been diehard users.

Should be interesting to see how many users Apple can hold on to.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Apple knows it can't put out a constant stream of barely changed products and the apple-tards will eat them up.

dualsub2006

Nov 11, 2008
Apple knows it can't put out a constant stream of barely changed products and the apple-tards will eat them up.

Do they know that? That's all they've ever done no matter which of their products that you look at. Minor software refreshes each year or so, and then a new hardware redesign every 3 or 4 years.

That's what Apple is famous for, and I think people are starting to get fed up with it. At least the people in my world are. I've heard "the iPhone 5 looks too weird to buy" from people that I never thought would say something like that.

The last 2 iPhone commercials have been about noise canceling microphones and do not disturb settings in the phone. That's all Apple has left to sell?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Do they know that? That's all they've ever done no matter which of their products that you look at. Minor software refreshes each year or so, and then a new hardware redesign every 3 or 4 years.

That's what Apple is famous for, and I think people are starting to get fed up with it. At least the people in my world are. I've heard "the iPhone 5 looks too weird to buy" from people that I never thought would say something like that.

The last 2 iPhone commercials have been about noise canceling microphones and do not disturb settings in the phone. That's all Apple has left to sell?

and.... what does everyone else do? Not much more... the only reason that we are having this conversation is because Apple finally has some competition. They have come out with new products to compete, but unless they continue to push and push... folks will be saying the same about them, just as they did Nokia, Rim and others.

I personally think Apple has had a huge run of luck with iPod, iPhone, iPad.... not very many companies have introduced 3 products that have done the sales and made the profit that Apple has.

Also I have lots of Apple friends too and I don't hear them complaining one bit. Many of them like myself have gone Android on either a phone or a tablet.. They experience was not earth shattering. There are a good many folks that like things simple, don't give two shits about customization.

I do think Apple has allowed iOS to get a bit stale, but I foresee Jon Ivey upping the anti on that. In terms of PC's what do the manufacturers do there beside a yearly refresh to the latest processor? At least Apple has added really high quality displays and designs that are really sexy, then everyone copies.. HP Envy... hehehe

Adding a bigger screen and faster CPU/GPU other than tackling the OS what else is there for Apple to do? Again all this is about the fact that they finally have some good competition that is putting out decent products. Everyone has always know that Android would have more market share as that is a no brainer. I mean you got 6 or 7 well know phone manufacturers putting out a phone a quarter... Hard to compete with that by one lone company. I think they have done a hell of a job. I think for stock holders profit and sales numbers say all that need to be said. While the design changes have not been earth shattering they have been nice. I think people such as yourself expect that every design has to rock people socks off or they have failed. I call BS.

Holding on over time... I think it will be impossible for Apple to hold on to everyone they have now. I am surprise they have held as many as they have already... but the fat lady hasn't sung just yet. I do know that Google, Android, Samsung.. they are all finally competing. Apple in many cases can sell a lot less and make a lot more, that trend will continue, just ask MS who was suppose to save the PC market this holiday season and didn't. In fact they haven't even made their own internal numbers on Windows or Windows PC sales. Doesn't mean they didn't sale a bunch. Bottom line is if Apple doesn't do what they need to they will wash away as others have. But its way to early for that scenario.

Last edited:

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008

They don't need to work that hard to sell phones and make money at the moment, so why should they? Seems plenty of people are happy with them.

Apple, Samsung put hammerlock on smartphone profits | Apple - CNET News

And it's can't just be "apple-tards" (to quote Capt. BMF) putting that kind of money into Apple's pockets. Personally, I'd like to see big changes to iOS and it's little idiosyncracies before I see them do anything huge/new/creative in the hardware space.

dualsub2006

Nov 11, 2008
Also I have lots of Apple friends too and I don't hear them complaining one bit. Many of them like myself have gone Android on either a phone or a tablet.. They experience was not earth shattering. There are a good many folks that like things simple, don't give two shits about customization.
I didn't mention Android, and there's a reason for that: that's not where the people that I know that are at least talking about switching are going. At least not most of them.

I have 2 sets of friends: my everyday friends, and my friends from 2 decades in the photographic industry. The latter being the die hard Apple users and the former being fairly consistently Android users.

An Android user that wants a hardware refresh doesn't need to change OS to get it, you just buy someone else's device. And that's what my everyday friends are doing.

iOS users that want something more, there's nowhere within the Apple ecosystem to go. This group is talking about Windows Phone and BlackBerry 10. Of the switchers, there is 1 that bought a Nexus 4. Wanted Android without needing to dick with the phone to get a great experience. He's happy.

WP8 has 4 new users in my circle, and 1 was a shock to me. He would laugh in your face if you pulled an electronic device out that didn't have an Apple logo on it. Phone, tablet, laptop, desktop. Didn't matter. A He's called me freetard for years. Saw him New Years eve with his Lumia 920, and he loves it.

There are others. My son has been an Apple only guy since the 3GS, but he'll be moving to a Nexus 4 in just a few weeks. My sister is going BB10 as soon as VZW has a device. She's been hard core iPhone since the 4.

It's all anecdotal evidence, yours and mine, and none of it proves anything in the big picture. But there was an AP story yesterday that claimed that Apple halved their iPhone 5 component orders for this quarter.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
It's all anecdotal evidence, yours and mine, and none of it proves anything in the big picture. But there was an AP story yesterday that claimed that Apple halved their iPhone 5 component orders for this quarter.

It's also standard operating proceedure for Apple prior to a new hardware release. Probably confirms the May/June release rumour.

dualsub2006

Nov 11, 2008
It's also standard operating proceedure for Apple prior to a new hardware release. Probably confirms the May/June release rumour.
It is not SOP for Apple to halve supply orders for the iPhone after less than 4 months on sale.

It's also not normal for Apple to halve orders 4 to 5 months before release of a new model.

Cutting orders in April for a June release makes total sense. Cutting orders in January for a June release is a problem.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
It is not SOP for Apple to halve supply orders for the iPhone after less than 4 months on sale.

It's also not normal for Apple to halve orders 4 to 5 months before release of a new model.

Cutting orders in April for a June release makes total sense. Cutting orders in January for a June release is a problem.

June is speculation. Perhaps it may be March? Apple has also never done the more than 1 release a year until recently.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Apple needs to try harder with 73% of the profit in smart phones? Remember when Apple *NEEDED* to make a Netbook?

Apple does what Apple does, and people will either like it or not. Sometimes they pick wrong and misstep, but over past decade or more, they've been doing things right.

dualsub2006

Nov 11, 2008
Apple needs to try harder with 73% of the profit in smart phones? Remember when Apple *NEEDED* to make a Netbook?

Apple does what Apple does, and people will either like it or not. Sometimes they pick wrong and misstep, but over past decade or more, they've been doing things right.
I'm not talking about markets that Apple "needs" to enter, I'm talking about the here and now, what they're currently doing.

Arrogance and complacency like "we have 73% of the profit" has unraveled tech companies in the past. Apple isn't entitled to 73% of anything, and with the driving force of their decade of record profits gone their long term place at the table is far from secure.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I'm not talking about markets that Apple "needs" to enter, I'm talking about the here and now, what they're currently doing.

Arrogance and complacency like "we have 73% of the profit" has unraveled tech companies in the past. Apple isn't entitled to 73% of anything, and with the driving force of their decade of record profits gone their long term place at the table is far from secure.

Oh agreed, they aren't entitled to anything. But not listening to anyone about what to do, or not to do -- or listening to anyone in general -- has not hurt them so far. They seem to have a good grasp of what a lot of people like, and aren't going to change just because one release of a phone might not be selling as well as some people think it needs to.
As noted, I'd prefer tweaks to iOS than changes to phone hardware. But they are going to do what they think they need to do. Maybe that TV everyone keep speculating about :)

wickerbill

Jan 20, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I read earlier that this same time last year, apple was rumored to have cut component orders and there was all the doom and gloom that iphone sales would disappoint and the next quarter they had huge iPhone sales and the rumor of component cuts was proven to be BS or irrelevant. It's probably best to wait until there's something more than page-click driven propaganda before declaring that Apple is doomed.

dualsub2006

Nov 11, 2008
I read earlier that this same time last year, apple was rumored to have cut component orders and there was all the doom and gloom that iphone sales would disappoint and the next quarter they had huge iPhone sales and the rumor of component cuts was proven to be BS or irrelevant. It's probably best to wait until there's something more than page-click driven propaganda before declaring that Apple is doomed.
Who said that Apple is doomed? I didn't.

Apple has a problem and to deny that is laughable. Their market share fell to Android, and their share of smartphone profits has consistently fallen while Samsung's share has risen.

Apple is doing the same thing over and over again and (some) people aren't buying it anymore. Anyone willing to look at the rise of Samsung can see it.

Doomed? No, not yet. Do they have a problem? Yes.

Google has a problem with Samsung too, in that Sammy is the dominant Android OEM. That has to be dealt with as well.