We're All Going to Die

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Bending the curve is just more of the flatten the curve stuff.

Self isolation sucks. I have no intention of doing another 14 days after my time is up.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Yesterday – Go look! – I posted the news that three members of a New Jersey family had died from the coronavirus and four others were hospitalized. Today, sadly, those numbers are reversed. The United States death toll has reached 217.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Yesterday – Go look! – I posted the news that three members of a New Jersey family had died from the coronavirus and four others were hospitalized. Today, sadly, those numbers are reversed. The United States death toll has reached 217.

The Mrs pointed out that it’s an Italian family that has been hit so hard, and thinks it’s not a coincidence that Italy has such a high rate of death too. There may be a genetic trait that is making things worse for them. For such a small country to have a higher death rate than China seems like there might be more involved than their government dropping the ball.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
The coronavirus thing hit home a little bit. I just found out that my uncle - long time married to my aunt- his mom tested positive. She lives in a nursing home with her husband, who is also feeling sick, but test results pending for him. Hope they make it through this.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
In mandating what he calls a "stay at home" policy, Governor Newsom made this brilliant declaration: “We need to bend the curve in the state of California." Can somebody translate that for me? Newsom added, "Home isolation is not my preferred choice but it is a necessary one. This is not a permanent state. It is a moment in time. People will adjust and adapt.”

Yeah, we can all stay home at watch 20-year-old college basketball games on ESPN. Wooh!
The janitor at my workplace would always greet me with a sarcastic "Another beautiful day, eh?". Every day, no matter whether it was a monsoon, or warm and sunny. He was always making a point, that either the weather sucked, or it was nice out, but we're all stuck inside.

I get the same feeling from 98's posts. He doesn't seem satisfied with anything. I figured he would be supportive of the governor's actions.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The coronavirus thing hit home a little bit. I just found out that my uncle - long time married to my aunt- his mom tested positive. She lives in a nursing home with her husband, who is also feeling sick, but test results pending for him. Hope they make it through this.
Good luck to them! I hope it all goes OK.

The Mrs has been pretty nervous and upset over this whole thing and has been paying close (probably too close) attention to the number of reported cases in Ohio. She seem surprised each time one is identified a little closer to us. I keep telling her that sooner than later we will know at least one person that catches it. Hopefully we won't have anyone close to us, or that we know die from it.

The janitor at my workplace would always greet me with a sarcastic "Another beautiful day, eh?". Every day, no matter whether it was a monsoon, or warm and sunny. He was always making a point, that either the weather sucked, or it was nice out, but we're all stuck inside.

I get the same feeling from 98's posts. He doesn't seem satisfied with anything. I figured he would be supportive of the governor's actions.

He does seem to fixate on the doom and gloom. The sky is kinda falling, but hey, at least the water levels aren't rising.
giphy.gif

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Yesterday, California. Today, New York. Governor Cuomo today ordered all "non-essential" workers to stay home. The two states combined have nearly 59,000,000 residents. That means approximately 20% of Americans have been ordered to stay home. I'm not convinced the stay-at-home orders are 100% necessary but I'm not a pandemic expert (nor do I play one on TV). My brother-in-law is a paramedic and he says the governors are doing the right thing. He told me, "If the number of cases doubles today, it could quadruple tomorrow and continue to worsen exponentially."

Here is a non-doom-and-gloom post: There have now been 275,137 confirmed cases of the coronavirus but 90,603 people have fully recovered. Yay!

As for Mister scotch's janitor saying, "Another beautiful day, eh?".....I never knew he was Canadian. :p

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
As long as we're posting music videos, here is my contribution: From September 1961, Ray Stevens' first top-40 hit, Jeremiah Peabody's Polyunsaturated Quick-Dissolving Fast-Acting Pleasant-Tasting Green & Purple Pills. Unfortunately, those pills are not very effective in combatting the COVID-19 virus.

• Sad

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Today I needed a few groceries such as milk, bread and lettuce. I still need them. I went to our local supermarket. Only one of the two entrances was open and there were two security guards there. They were limiting the number of shoppers who could be in the store at any one time. As one shopper exited, they would let another shopper enter. There were around 40 people lined up outside waiting to get in. Muttering a few words which I don't want to repeat here, I returned home. I'm guessing almost every supermarket in the United States now has this same idiotic policy.

This is what is called a "self-fulfilling prophecy": People fear a food shortage so they all go to the markets to stock up – and, in doing so, they create a food shortage. It's truly insane.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
It’s social distancing. It keeps the spreading to a slower rate. Nothing to do with hording.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Today I needed a few groceries such as milk, bread and lettuce. I still need them. I went to our local supermarket. Only one of the two entrances was open and there were two security guards there. They were limiting the number of shoppers who could be in the store at any one time. As one shopper exited, they would let another shopper enter. There were around 40 people lined up outside waiting to get in. Muttering a few words which I don't want to repeat here, I returned home. I'm guessing almost every supermarket in the United States now has this same idiotic policy.

This is what is called a "self-fulfilling prophecy": People fear a food shortage so they all go to the markets to stock up – and, in doing so, they create a food shortage. It's truly insane.
Sounds like a good substitute for the Disneyland experience.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Mister scotch, you can't compare the supermarket to Disneyland. I said there were 40 people in line, not 4,000. Anyway, it's nice to see that New Yorkers know where their priorities lie:

Are liquor stores open during coronavirus? New York says liquor stores are 'essential,' can stay open.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Are you guys really keeping a 14 day supply of food on hand?

I guess I'm banking on the fact that I can still go to the grocery store or pick up food at a local restaurant every couple of days.
But if I end up with coronavirus and quarantine for 14 days, I wouldn't have enough food for my family for 14 days. If that happens, I'd probably need to ask a healthy relative or friend to do me a favor and make a grocery bill and drop it off.

On that note, it's rather eerie going grocery shopping. I've never been much of a germaphobe, but now I'm walking through the aisles looking at everyone and everything as a threat to my health.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Are you guys really keeping a 14 day supply of food on hand?

I guess I'm banking on the fact that I can still go to the grocery store or pick up food at a local restaurant every couple of days.
But if I end up with coronavirus and quarantine for 14 days, I wouldn't have enough food for my family for 14 days. If that happens, I'd probably need to ask a healthy relative or friend to do me a favor and make a grocery bill and drop it off.

On that note, it's rather eerie going grocery shopping. I've never been much of a germaphobe, but now I'm walking through the aisles looking at everyone and everything as a threat to my health.

We are on self isolation now. We rely on deliveries. And my son who is not isolated (did not come with us to USA). I think we will be ok for 14 days. Day 5 btw.

Reactions: Aaron and HecticArt