Weekday lineup changes on 128?

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I think we all just want differing opinions from the hosts, since there's too much of the same opinion all the time. And most of the time, the same opinion is one more favorable to NASCAR, even when they're clearly in the wrong.

SubmarineMike

Oct 14, 2008
Jacksonville Fl
DP doesn't matter if NASCAR isn't handing them scripts.. perception is reality whether it is right or wrong that is the way of teh world and as long as the majority of the hosts NEVER criticize NASCAR they will be seen as NASCAR's mouthpieces.

NoWayHozay

Jan 5, 2009
Perhaps, and I know you'll find this hard to believe, the hosts actually believe what they are saying. I know that's a tough concept for most. Everyone's assumption seems to be that because they are employed by or have had something to do with NASCAR that they are simply toeing the line. Are they being handed a script or talking points from NASCAR? Does NASCAR dictate what hosts are on the Sirius/XM NASCAR channel? Be careful before you answer this. If the answer is yes, why would Poole have ever been a host on the channel? If the answer is no, why wouldn't we see/hear more non-NASCAR related hosts?

I agree that the hosts believe what they are saying and I don't think that NASCAR scripts what they say.

As far as dictating that only Homers get host jobs on the channel, that's true to a point. The channel is very MRN heavy, but there are other reasons than just hiring the fanboi types. The hosts are probably hired on criteria like being able to actually do the job of radio show host for 20 hours a week.

Look at some of the guys that tell it like it is and have some experience on 128. I'll throw out Mulhern, Dutton, Bonkowski, Margolis and Nate Ryan.
- I love Mulhern, and he writes very well, but he's also insane and a complete mess live. He was my pick to replace Poole, but he needed too much work and there's no way Bagley could have dealt with him.
- Monte Dutton is another great writer, but just too old school and southern for the "Brian" era.
- Jerry Bonkowski is not a very good writer, and is worse on the radio. Remember the "Bois from Illinois"? Yuck.
- Bob Margolis is another hack that occasionally is invited to rile up listeners with sensational nonsense like "Dale Jr. sucks."
- Nate Ryan is intelligent, writes well, speaks well and if he learns to loosen up, might be the anchor of the whole channel in 4 or 5 years.

See where this is going? Anyone smart or interesting enough can't do the job. A parallel with real life for sure.

Andrew8468

Plans on freezing in the dark
Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
With all the layoffs and cutbacks at NASCAR Scene and scenedaily.com today there are a few more candidates out there like Steve Waid, who I think did some TV back in the day.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
DP doesn't matter if NASCAR isn't handing them scripts.. perception is reality whether it is right or wrong that is the way of teh world and as long as the majority of the hosts NEVER criticize NASCAR they will be seen as NASCAR's mouthpieces.

Never is a pretty strong word and it is simply not the case. There are times in which most, if not all, have expressed their opinion that differed with NASCAR. They may not do it in a derogatory tone and why should they? Why is it important to have the host or hosts come out with both barrels blazing against NASCAR? :clueless:

mccastle

Oct 24, 2008
South Louisiana
Pat Patterson would be good. He fills in for TMD when needed is not afraid to cut a promo on someone when he thinks they are out of their mind. But if that would mean taking him off of weekends then "no". I really like listening to him on race day mornings.

foyt

Oct 23, 2008
South of Terre Haute
Pat Patterson would be good. He fills in for TMD when needed is not afraid to cut a promo on someone when he thinks they are out of their mind. But if that would mean taking him off of weekends then "no". I really like listening to him on race day mornings.

The sound of his voice really grates on my nerves. I always change the channel when he's on. But...Steve Post used to irritate me when he first joined MRN too, and I got used to him.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I think people want more balance is all.

That's what Poole gave us. I really like Monte Dutton, although sometimes he talks TOO much, like over callers before they make their point.

I love when Bob Margolis and Mulhern are on (usually only weekends) even though they can be complete blowhards sometimes. But they bring up topics and points of discussion that wouldn't normally get airtime. And many times I agree with them.

yippeekyaa

Oct 21, 2008
I can see Uranus from here
The thing I don't like about NASCAR Radio currently is that everybody's too darn nice.

Today Moody told a caller and i quote "I don't think you could read the rules if they were painted on your belly" followed up with "......maybe your Sunday afternoons are best spent watching bowling".

It was a caller from texas, Carl i think was the name and he was sadly an atypical idiot caller that didn't have a clue what he wanted. I have audio of the entire call, i might upload it in a bit.

NoWayHozay

Jan 5, 2009
Today Moody told a caller and i quote "I don't think you could read the rules if they were painted on your belly" followed up with "......maybe your Sunday afternoons are best spent watching bowling".

It was a caller from texas, Carl i think was the name and he was sadly an atypical idiot caller that didn't have a clue what he wanted. I have audio of the entire call, i might upload it in a bit.

At least it was entertaining.

Speedway and TMD suffer from too many "regulars" that call in just to say hi and to ask things like: how Moody likes not living in Vermont/how Suzy Q is doing/if Bagley went to Dunkin' Donuts/etc.

Shoot, they're all on Facebook, just ask them there....

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
It's completely DEAD right now and they have to fill air time.

Anywho, my parents just got a 47" plasma and HD and I was watching a replay of a race and....WOW!

HD rocks! I can't wait for the 'bama and Texas game tonight. Go SEC! :p

Reactions: antsie

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
When's this announcement taking place on all of the changes @ SIRIUS/XM 128? The suspense is killing me. LOL

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
It's completely DEAD right now and they have to fill air time.

Anywho, my parents just got a 47" plasma and HD and I was watching a replay of a race and....WOW!

HD rocks!

Yes, HD does rock! Sports in HD rock more! Soon, they are to launch 3D channels. One of them being ESPN 3. DirecTV is to carry them later this summer. It'll be interesting to see if they try broadcasting a NASCAR event. Of course, that would mean another upgrade to your home entertainment system. The 3D TV's that are being sold this year will still require 3D glasses. At the CES 2010 they introduced technology that allows for viewing without the glasses but the reviews that I read on that weren't great.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Sports in HD rock more!

I'm watching stuff I would NEVER watch....just because it's in HD. :p I watched part of a soccer game (YUCK!!!!), but that green field looked AWESOME. LOL.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I'm watching stuff I would NEVER watch....just because it's in HD. :p I watched part of a soccer game (YUCK!!!!), but that green field looked AWESOME. LOL.

That'll last for a month, maybe two. I used to watch Sunrise Earth on Discovery HD, and now I never watch the channel. Note, that channel is different than Discovery Channel HD.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
That'll last for a month, maybe two. I used to watch Sunrise Earth on Discovery HD, and now I never watch the channel. Note, that channel is different than Discovery Channel HD.

I can understand only lasting a month with Sunrise Earth but sports in HD are a different animal all together.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I haven't heard about any changes coming up, so is it safe to say the report was bogus?