Week of 9/9: Live!

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
No guest today, so that means some Ronnie, Brent and Michael Rapaport stuff. Steve Kroft retired from 60 Minutes and a new phony phone call.

It's a shame they don't do the spinoff shows any more. We could go straight from Back Office Radio into the Ronnie, Brent and Shuli hour. Just those three without Howard. People love a hot mess!

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
It drives me nuts when they talk about bands and don't have their facts straight (I'm a music geek/snob). Then they take a call from someone who adds more useless chatter with no good info.

Zack left Rage Against The Machine after the bassist Timmy C climbed the stage prop at the MTV VMAs while drunk after losing to Limp Bizkit. I'm sure there were artistic and political differences brewing prior to that, but when Zack walked out of the awards ceremony after the police got Timmy down from that Statue Of Liberty prop, that was the end.

Rage members Zach De La Rocha and Tom Morello urged Commerford not to do it, and were disappointed in his actions. A month after the events, De La Rocha announced his departure from the band, saying in a statement, "I feel that it is now necessary to leave Rage because our decision-making process has completely failed. It is no longer meeting the aspirations of all four of us collectively as a band, and from my perspective, has undermined our artistic and political ideal."

Stabbing Westward's "What Do I Have To Do" is one of their singles and it did well, but "Shame" is better remembered and one that Howard would have probably recognized and liked more. And yes the band toured recently (I saw them in Rhode Island in 2017), but after the album with "Save Yourself" they released their 4th and final album in 2001 - but it was largely pop, very different from their earlier work, even featuring acoustic guitar on some tracks. They disbanded and a couple of the guys formed The Dreaming. Stabbing reunited in 2016. When Howard says they had one hit with "Save Yourself" I groan.

The group's biggest success came during the year after the release of "Wither Blister Burn & Peel," in which two of the album's singles, "What Do I Have to Do?" and "Shame," propelled the record to peak at No. 67 on The Billboard 200 in September 1997.

Reactions: HecticArt

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
It drives me nuts when they talk about bands and don't have their facts straight (I'm a music geek/snob). Then they take a call from someone who adds more useless chatter with no good info.

Zack left Rage Against The Machine after the bassist Timmy C climbed the stage prop at the MTV VMAs while drunk after losing to Limp Bizkit. I'm sure there were artistic and political differences brewing prior to that, but when Zack walked out of the awards ceremony after the police got Timmy down from that Statue Of Liberty prop, that was the end.

Rage members Zach De La Rocha and Tom Morello urged Commerford not to do it, and were disappointed in his actions. A month after the events, De La Rocha announced his departure from the band, saying in a statement, "I feel that it is now necessary to leave Rage because our decision-making process has completely failed. It is no longer meeting the aspirations of all four of us collectively as a band, and from my perspective, has undermined our artistic and political ideal."

Stabbing Westward's "What Do I Have To Do" is one of their singles and it did well, but "Shame" is better remembered and one that Howard would have probably recognized and liked more. And yes the band toured recently (I saw them in Rhode Island in 2017), but after the album with "Save Yourself" they released their 4th and final album in 2001 - but it was largely pop, very different from their earlier work, even featuring acoustic guitar on some tracks. They disbanded and a couple of the guys formed The Dreaming. Stabbing reunited in 2016. When Howard says they had one hit with "Save Yourself" I groan.

The group's biggest success came during the year after the release of "Wither Blister Burn & Peel," in which two of the album's singles, "What Do I Have to Do?" and "Shame," propelled the record to peak at No. 67 on The Billboard 200 in September 1997.

I've said this before, but this is all due to Howard's runaway ego. He was involved in the music industry 30 years ago, but not since. And instead of admitting he stopped paying attention, he pretends that whatever he doesn't know didn't exist. Letterman had Paul Shaffer. Fallon and Kimmel and Marc Maron actually keep current with music. Howard could easily yield to Gary, Fred, or JD, but his ego won't let him. So he just says whatever shit he wants, and Robin goes along with it.

Reactions: sadchild

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
No guest today, so that means some Ronnie, Brent and Michael Rapaport stuff. Steve Kroft retired from 60 Minutes and a new phony phone call.

It's a shame they don't do the spinoff shows any more. We could go straight from Back Office Radio into the Ronnie, Brent and Shuli hour. Just those three without Howard. People love a hot mess!

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
Ronnie, Brent, Rappaport stuff is not funny Howard. For some reason, it reminds me of my church going days. When the priest had nothing profound to say, he would go into his filing cabinet and fish out a sermon on the holiness of Mary. When Howard has nothing or thinks he has nothing he gins up Ronnie, Brent and whoever else to start throwing insults. Not funny. Not entertaining. Just filling air time. Howard... if you are reading this... you could open the NY Times or the NY Post and start commenting on articles.. or riff on TV shows and it would be 100 times more entertaining than turning your staff against one another.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Ronnie, Brent, Rappaport stuff is not funny Howard. For some reason, it reminds me of my church going days. When the priest had nothing profound to say, he would go into his filing cabinet and fish out a sermon on the holiness of Mary. When Howard has nothing or thinks he has nothing he gins up Ronnie, Brent and whoever else to start throwing insults. Not funny. Not entertaining. Just filling air time. Howard... if you are reading this... you could open the NY Times or the NY Post and start commenting on articles.. or riff on TV shows and it would be 100 times more entertaining than turning your staff against one another.

Maybe if the Ronnie stuff was once a month. Instead, it's the new Benji Vortex.

In other news, Howard is off to LA to help launch the new studios. He'll also be on Ellen, Kimmel and Bill Maher's shows. He says with "peace and love, no more shows!"

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Agreed on the Ronnie stuff. I complained about that a few years ago on a different Stern forum and people ripped me apart about how great talking about Ronnie 24/7 is. It was old then, and it's only getting older.

BTW during the Rambo talk, Fred commented (he was spoken over) on how Stallone is sounding a bit like Bobo now. How about a prerecorded bit: Ram-Bobo. Have him read the lines from the movie trailer, and only use the ones he flubs.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Wait a minute; he's gonna go on Bill Maher's Real Time?

Apparently so.

It seems like he doesn't want to go on Jimmy Kimmel, but Jimmy realizes Howard really doesn't want to go on. Howard will probably start play-negotiating not to go on as he usually does when he has to make a guest appearance.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Agreed on the Ronnie stuff. I complained about that a few years ago on a different Stern forum and people ripped me apart about how great talking about Ronnie 24/7 is. It was old then, and it's only getting older.

I found what I posted on that other forum. It was 11/9/2017.

I suffered through the Jesus Twins without complaining. I've listened to cat stories galore. I didn't turn the station when Howard talked NON-STOP about his upcoming move to satellite. But for the first time in my 24 years of listening to Stern, I've reached a breaking point.

Enough Ronnie bullshit already! It's a constant barrage of awful samples of him yelling shit. "SIXTYNIIIINE!" "SIXTYEIGHT!!!" "LET'S FUCK SOME HOOO-RRZ!!!" And that goddamn gasping, breathy laugh.

I love the show, but every damn time anyone says anything at all about anything under the sky, it's backed with a Ronnie sample.

"He was the butt of the joke" ... "Ass treeks"
"He was born in 1968" .... "SIXTYEIGHT!!"
"Jones scored the winning run" ... "Scores man!"

Can't they let two minutes go by without an interruption by a stupid Ronnie quote? It just doesn't stop. But it really really fucking needs to!

The next day I added:

The show has become more about its minor staff members and less about the rest of the planet. It would be like if Kelly And Ryan spent 2/3rds of the show interviewing the studio janitor and the cameramen.

A couple days later I followed it up with:

I took a five minute car ride this evening and heard a segment of Robin doing some news stories (like Sia's nude photos, etc). I counted the number of Ronnie samples they played. It was 12. 7 of them were Ronnie saying "ass treeks".

On the five minute ride home, the name of the segment was "Ronnie The Limo Driver". I counted 10 Ronnie samples.

That's 22 Ronnie samples in 10 minutes. This doesn't even include all of the times Fred and Howard imitated Ronnie on top the samples.

E-fuckin-nuff already.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I notice that sometimes they get stuck on certain sound drops, and play them to death. Other times, they mix it up. I believe both Howard and Fred have access to the effects, so maybe it's one or the other.

There was a time I became aware that the Robin theme song (from Guatemala) was getting out of hand during the news. Initially, it was played when she "chimed-in" on a topic. But they started playing it every time she spoke in the news segment. Since that's her segment, that's a lot of times, over and over. That, and the Richard Simmons laugh. I couldn't listen.

They have so many great sound drops, it's just laziness when they play the same ones over and over. I think my favorite is when Artie would interrupt the news with a story, get the whole staff rolling, and they'd play variations of the Gilbert laugh.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Does anyone remember the JD techno music? Throw that in. Richard and Sal could re-do the Ned songs about Brent.

Today's show:
9/11 remembrances
Lenny Dykstra
Brent and Michael Rapaport (again)
Howard doesn't know who the band Spoon is...but he had a big thing about them not all that long ago, right?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Yes, I seem to remember he worked-out to Got Nuffin' or something. Did he say "I don't know them"? Because when he says that, I want to punch a wall.

AWWWW CRAP!

I know I've made this goof before. Sponge and Spoon are two different bands. I was thinking of the song Sixteen Candles and did some digging...original post below.

Today's MarksFriggin:

Howard said they have invited bands up there and now they have this band Spoon. Robin said she's heard of them. Howard said he's never heard of them. He asked how long they've been around. JD Puppet said they've been around forever. He said he loves spoons. Howard said he has a spoon collection. Howard asked what his best spoon is. JD Puppet said his Oregon spoon is his best. He said it has the skyline of Oregon on it.

Howard said he was watching Spoon who have been together since 1993. He said he doesn't know how he missed their stuff.

Here's a mention of Howard's love for the song "Plowed."

Addendum after original post:
This music would have been on the local alternative station...the one I didn't listen to. The one I listened to had a harder sound. They launched in the early 90s with 80s rock and then moved to more of a Nine Inch Nails, Rob Zombie, Korn, Pearl Jam and Nirvana sound. The alternative station would have played stuff like Sponge, Spoon, Cake, Toad The Wet Sprocket, Primus, Hole, etc. When I first got satellite in 2005, Octane was the perfect way to bridge the gap. Octane kept with the current stuff and now tends to play a lot of stuff that's too new. Turbo plays some stuff that I grew up with, as does Lithium...when they're not playing that softer alternative stuff from circa 94-97 when I was jamming to harder stuff like NIN, Manson, etc.

Last edited:

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
When Howard was talking about being ashamed he's a fan of The Bachelor (again), Robin said something like "I wish I could say I was watching NPR instead".

Can you 'watch' NPR?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
When Howard was talking about being ashamed he's a fan of The Bachelor (again), Robin said something like "I wish I could say I was watching NPR instead".

Can you 'watch' NPR?

... coming soon to the SiriusXM app?

It seems the NPR site has video, but a lot of it may be pulled from elsewhere.