Week Of 9/10: Live!

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Does ANYONE want to guess how Howard started off today's show?

Here's a hint: It took well over the first hour and included the megaphone.

Let's see if Howard replays the 9/11 show tomorrow. He probably won't, but it would be fitting, even if it was in the afternoon during Sternthology...maybe some of the "days after" shows and some other anniversary shows.

He also mentioned Burt Reynolds and took a call from King Of All Faucets.

Last edited:

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Howard took a call from Bobo. He also mentioned that this is the approximate anniversary of Robin going for a run and needing a hose. He then mentioned there'd be no Cocktober this month.

Reactions: JHDK

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Howard played some clips of some people talking in tongues, which lead into a Riley Martin thing. He also played some clips of Pat Robertson talking about the hurricane.

Norm MacDonald dropped by.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I liked the riffing on Miss America. Boy that's an effed-up show now. Contestants asking other contestants important questions about world politics? Holy fuck.

Then I listened to Norm. It started out OK, then went right into the shitter like nothing I've ever heard before. Once they started talking about his cancelled Tonight Show gig and his public apology, Norm fell apart, and Howard didn't know how to get out of it.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I liked the riffing on Miss America. Boy that's an effed-up show now. Contestants asking other contestants important questions about world politics? Holy fuck.

Then I listened to Norm. It started out OK, then went right into the shitter like nothing I've ever heard before. Once they started talking about his cancelled Tonight Show gig and his public apology, Norm fell apart, and Howard didn't know how to get out of it.

Wasn't there one of those "Miss" shows a while back where she came off like a total ditz and it was viral the next morning? I know that's just about every one of those shows, but I'm drawing total blanks here. It was maybe 4-5 years ago, if I had to make a random guess.

I may have to check out the Norm deal later.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule

What a great setup though. Howard got Norm after his comments that got him canned from the Tonight Show? Perfect time to score an interview! Sucks it went off the rails.

I'm still looking forward to it though. Hopefully I'll disagree with your take. Norm is one of my favorite comedians and I can't wait to see this new version of his Youtube show on Netflix this Friday. Also, what he said wasn't great, but certainly not that awful. He was specifically talking about Roseanne and Louie's victims and neither of them were physically hurt in any way.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I can't wait to see this new version of his Youtube show on Netflix this Friday.
You may have to wait. Howard went so far as to ask if they're going to cancel that show, and Norm started mumbling incoherently, as if he was just realizing the possibility himself.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Norm is taking heat for his "Down Syndrome" comment. He's Norm MacDonald...he's made a living off saying things that are un-PC. I suspect a lot of outrage from people who are threatening to boycott his new show never would watch it in the first place...but these seem to be how outrage and boycotts work as of late.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
Never found Norm McDonald funny...Really unfunny on this show...I do not know the Jimmy Fallon side of the story but to me it sounds like Fallon really lost his backbone... This column appeared in the despicable New York Post. I generally disagree with this writer but this column makes sense. https://nypost.com/2018/09/12/why-you-should-care-what-norm-macdonald-thinks/ I thought Howard was unusually mum on the subject. In the old days he would have reamed Fallon.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Norm is taking heat for his "Down Syndrome" comment.
That may be part of it, but the main thing he did was kind-of bash abuse victims and defend Roseanne and Louis CK. He repeated the (wildly incorrect) claim that Roseanne's career was instantly over, following a single incident. In fact, she had been tweeting wacky conspiracy theories for years, many of which had obvious racist tones against Obama. But that was when she was out of the limelight.

Norm also implied that if there are not a large number of accusers, then either the accuser is lying, or the accused should be given the benefit of the doubt. This is totally an area of discussion that Norm should've stayed away from. If he wanted to argue that what Louie did was creepy but not criminal, that would've been fine.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Norm is even funny in his apology:

Norm Macdonald Says He Used ‘Down Syndrome’ To Describe Stupidity In A PC Way | HuffPost

“You’d have to have Down syndrome to not feel sorry” for those victims, he said.

HAHAHAHAHA!!

Then, even funnier is the idea that Norm had to apologize for his apology:

Norm Macdonald apologizes on 'The View' for #MeToo apology

It almost makes me think he did it all on purpose. Like at that roast when he purposely went up and bombed by doing jokes from like the 1920's.

Norm's the best!

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
Lot of unfunny stuff this week. Not only Norm McDonald's endless frog joke but Howard's tedious, time wasting bit on Bobo for his 9-11 jacket. It wasn't funny and it wasn't really on point. .. So Bobo, like the attention seeking nut that he is, wears a jacket with 9-11 patches. Did he claim to be a fireman or a policeman or EMT guy who was there? NO. Not remotely close to a guy who claims to be a war veteran. Not close. And Howard kept extending the bit. Also unfunny was the Les Moonves Julie Chen bit. Not only was the bit unfunny {"Hey blow me Julie") but it unfairly degraded Julie Chen. I know he is still mad at Mooves for the law suit but he has had Julie Chen on the show and she has done nothing against him. Why try to bring her down?

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Lot of unfunny stuff this week. Not only Norm McDonald's endless frog joke but Howard's tedious, time wasting bit on Bobo for his 9-11 jacket. It wasn't funny and it wasn't really on point. .. So Bobo, like the attention seeking nut that he is, wears a jacket with 9-11 patches. Did he claim to be a fireman or a policeman or EMT guy who was there? NO. Not remotely close to a guy who claims to be a war veteran. Not close. And Howard kept extending the bit. Also unfunny was the Les Moonves Julie Chen bit. Not only was the bit unfunny {"Hey blow me Julie") but it unfairly degraded Julie Chen. I know he is still mad at Mooves for the law suit but he has had Julie Chen on the show and she has done nothing against him. Why try to bring her down?
It's kind of ironic. With all the complaining (for years) by his listeners about not doing a 5 day-per-week show, he doesn't seem to have much material when he does do a show. Honestly, I found it refreshing when he gave up Fridays, which allowed me the time to check-out new music on SXM. And now that he's down to 3 days, I find I'm only interested in listening a bit here and there, and that's it.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I'm enjoying all the Moonves puppet talk. Puppets back on the show is great!

Also the Bobo 9.11 jacket talk is funny.

I'm now only a month behind on shows. These show vacations give me a chance to catch up.