web player.....software player

Oct 29, 2008
Kind of neat on the web player. I just noticed this. Scroll to the top of the page and click on "Portable Radio". It'll load up one of those 360 degree viewers of the G2, only you'll notice it has all your channels on it. You can scroll around and play your channels.

I'm not clear on when this changed. Maybe this was activated when I entered my portable id # into my account. Or can others see it that does not own a G2 ? If so this is a great marketing strategy by Slacker.

I'd like to see the "upgrade to radio plus" message go away at the bottom of the screen. For those of us that are current subscribers. That way it will be completely ad free. Would not mind seeing the web player get a face lift as well......I'm using the web player now. I'd like to have a mini mode to display current plays in the web player, but it's no big deal. Since they don't update the software player anymore. I went ahead, and uninstalled the software player.

Do you use one player exclusively, or switch between both ?

TVGenius

Nov 10, 2008
Yuma, AZ
Well, first off, from what I was reading in the Official Slacker Forums last night, it sounds like the software player is pretty much a thing of the past. Apparently they actually stopped development on it a while ago, because it was easier for them to do everything web-based and they'd have fewer problems caused by individual system issues. But they continued to make it available until such time that something 'broke' it, and it seems that MS's latest IE7 patch last week now causes a scripting error. So they say to use the web player from now on.

As far as the virtual player, it works for me too, and I have a G1 (though it shows a G2 of course). Looks like it's so you can test drive it, seeing as how it's fully functional. Pretty cool idea.

Oct 29, 2008
Yes I see that the software player is pretty much dead now. Probably for the best. That way we are all using the same thing. It will be less confusing for new users.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well I wish they would fix the nasty bug where stations don't show up when reviewing the categories. Maybe this is just a Vista IE7 issue, though I think I recall having it with Fire Fox too.

But I seen the interactive G2 with my stations and I messed around with it for a little bit, that is pretty cool. But fix the the issues you have before expanding off into other areas.