Weak Sirius Sat Signal Lately?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Anybody been getting weak Sirius satellite signal over the last couple of days?

Yesterday I had a strong signal in the morning in my car, a really bad signal in the afternoon and a good signal last night. Today, was a weak signal a couple of times.

If it's just me, then maybe my dot antenna is finally wearing out.

PS, repeater signal has never been very strong a couple of miles out of downtown. I was in downtown tonight, and the repeater signal was almost full, but the sat signal was almost gone.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I've actually gone through a period of reasonably strong signal after weeks of horribly week signal. The periods of horribly weak signals started after they put up the new bird. Having a N window, I only get the moving sats and I believe only one of them is in operation now.

For a car though, its probably your dot antenna.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Maybe one of the 3 moving birds flying drunk from too much holiday 'nog? Or Santa's got so much loot to deliver to the Hectic Compound, that he's making test runs before hand and blocking out your reception?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I've actually gone through a period of reasonably strong signal after weeks of horribly week signal. The periods of horribly weak signals started after they put up the new bird. Having a N window, I only get the moving sats and I believe only one of them is in operation now.

For a car though, its probably your dot antenna.

That's what I was guessing, but was hoping that I wouldn't have to search for my extra dot to find out for sure. Then there's the whole rewiring it in my driveway in December. . . . Brrrrrrr.

I'll have to order another dot from TSS. Woo Hooo! Looks like I'm in the running for the $100. . . . . :rofl2:

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
That's what I was guessing, but was hoping that I wouldn't have to search for my extra dot to find out for sure. Then there's the whole rewiring it in my driveway in December. . . . Brrrrrrr.

I'll have to order another dot from TSS. Woo Hooo! Looks like I'm in the running for the $100. . . . . :rofl2:

When people talk about the signal going down most of the time it's their antenna. Anyway, get a new one pal ;)

I can help you out.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
When people talk about the signal going down most of the time it's their antenna. Anyway, get a new one pal ;)

I can help you out.

Word.
I have a backup floating around someplace, that I need to find. I've had a couple of days with no problem, but I didn't think they would get intermittent. I thought they would go all at once. For as cheap as they are, I'll grab an extra or two, and ditch this one. I've had it since I got my first S50 3 1/2 years ago, so I'd say I've gotten my money out of it.

Put the crew on high alert Taylor! A MAJOR order is on the way. . . :rofl2:

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Is there anyway to patch more than 1 antenna together for uber kick ass reception?

Ya know, like a patch work or grid to increase the probability of getting reception?

TSS Guys, has anyone before brought this up?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Is there anyway to patch more than 1 antenna together for uber kick ass reception?

Ya know, like a patch work or grid to increase the probability of getting reception?

TSS Guys, has anyone before brought this up?

They had talked it about it on the DRC some time ago.
The short of it is no. The engineering of it doesn't work.
Someone smarter about it would have to chip in.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
ANT-1_ZOOM.jpg

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
They talked before about it not improving reception.
Did I recall that thread incorrectly?

It's digital. You either have signal or you don't. Twice the signal means twice the errors too and would probably cancel out any benifits or improvements.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It's digital. You either have signal or you don't. Twice the signal means twice the errors too and would probably cancel out any benifits or improvements.

That sounds more like what I remembered. Someone had some tech talk about kHz, Ohms law, and ball bearings.

In my case, it's been intermittent, so I'm thinking it's either the wire that's worn a bit, or possibly some water or corrosion inside the puck that's causing my issue. It's been working well for the last few days.

At $17 a pop for the same one I have now, it was easy enough to order a couple of back-ups.

I have another new one someplace around the house. I need to find it before I hit the streets today just in case the old one starts acting up again.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
That sounds more like what I remembered. Someone had some tech talk about kHz, Ohms law, and ball bearings.

In my case, it's been intermittent, so I'm thinking it's either the wire that's worn a bit, or possibly some water or corrosion inside the puck that's causing my issue. It's been working well for the last few days.

At $17 a pop for the same one I have now, it was easy enough to order a couple of back-ups.

I have another new one someplace around the house. I need to find it before I hit the streets today just in case the old one starts acting up again.

I have a couple of backups. If you are a dual sub keep in mind that XM & Sirius antennas are compatable with each other so you don't need a backup for both. Also, the XM antennas are of better quality so an XM antenna may be something to consider.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I have a couple of backups. If you are a dual sub keep in mind that XM & Sirius antennas are compatable with each other so you don't need a backup for both. Also, the XM antennas are of better quality so an XM antenna may be something to consider.

Right on. I'm Sirius only, and forgot that the antenna were compatible. I've gotten 3 1/2 years out of the one I have now, and should get some decent time out of my backup. I ordered 2 more from TSS yesterday. That should take care of me long after I need to worry about receiving signal from the birds.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Only SOME of the antennas are compatible - not ALL.

I have a few that don't work with both services.