Was 1984 the greatest year in movies ever?

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Was 1984 the greatest year in movies ever? | EW.com

From the article...
"Over the past few months, a lot has of ink has been spilled about how 1939 was the greatest year in movies ever. After all, that was the year of The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind. Granted, not a bad double whammy. And it didn't stop there: 1939 also was the year of Stagecoach, Wuthering Heights, Love Affair, Gunga Din, Dark Victory, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame.Those are all celluloid gems, no doubt about it. But aside from the first two, how many of them make you honestly want to play hooky and watch right this second?

I thought so.

So let me put forth an alternate argument. When it comes to the year-in-film you really want to waste a Cheetos-snarfing afternoon on the sofa with, all you have to do is go back 25 years. Will the cinema eggheads and film snobs ever agree with this? Of course not. Not when you're dealing with movies like Ghostbusters (pictured), Bachelor Party, and Gremlins. But personally, I'll take 1984 over just about any other Hollywood vintage..."

- The Lonely Guy
- Broadway Danny Rose
- Footloose
- Splash
- Romancing the Stone
- Spinal Tap
- Suburbia
- Friday the 13th
- The Bounty
- The Natural
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
- Firestarter
- Sixteen Candles
- Gremlins
- Bachelor Party
- Top Secret!
- The Karate Kid
- Conan the Destroyer
- Cannonball Run II
- Ghostbusters
- Repo Man
- The Gods Must Be Crazy
- The Muppets Take Manhattan
- Purple Rain
- The Revenge of the Nerds
- Red Dawn
- Tightrope
- Amadeus
- Body Double
- The Terminator
- The Killing Fields
- A Nightmare on Elm Street
- Beverly Hills Cop
- Dune
- The Flamingo Kid
- Johnny Dangerously
- Police Academy
- Moscow on the Hudson
- Breakin'

Ghostbusters-team.jpg

Last edited:

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
All great 80s movies, but none of my favorite movies are on that list, so... By the way, all those movies from 1939 are incredibly overrated.

TOM C.

Oct 25, 2008
Charleston SC
dont forget

Cheech and Chong's The Corsican Brothers (1984) (II)

or

The Ewok Adventure (1984)

or

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the 8th Dimension (1984)

Last edited:

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
TWO MINUTES HATE BEGINS

- Footloose
- Bachelor Party
- The Karate Kid
- Conan the Destroyer
- Cannonball Run II
- Purple Rain
- Red Dawn
- Dune

Those are horrible films. The year "Dune" came out can never be the best year for film.

TOM C.

Oct 25, 2008
Charleston SC
Wow joking before, I think your right. keep finding great movies and not to many duds.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)
Starman (1984)
Stephen King s Children of the Corn (1984) (II)
Runaway (1984) I LIKED IT
The Philadelphia Experiment (1984) GOOD MOVIE, watch it
The Pope of Greenwich Village (1984)
Once Upon A Time In America (1984) (II)
Iceman (1984)
Blame It on Rio (1984) i was young once

Last edited:

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
While I agree Dune sucked balls, Purple Rain and Footloose have some great memories associated with them.( But tell me what those movies are about again? :fallinlove:)

All that a side, the best movie ever made came out in 1984!

repoman.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=554AX4l1tmw"]YouTube - Repo Man Theatrical Trailer[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mxs6A1byIo"]YouTube - Find One In Every Car - You'll See[/ame]

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
1976 (Marathon Man, Logan's Run, Network, Taxi Driver, All The President's Men, The Bad News Bears, Silent Movie, The Omen, Carrie, Rocky)

1979 (10, Alien, And Justice For All, 1941, Escape from Alcatraz, The Jerk, Kramer vs. Kramer, Monty Python's Life of Brian, Mad Max, Moonraker, Rocky II, Star Trek-The Motion Picture)

1982 (48 Hours, Blade Runner, Creepshow, Conan the Barbarian, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid, Death Wish II, Diner, E.T. The Extra Terrestrial, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Firefox, First Blood, Ghandi, My Favorite Year, An Officer and a Gentlemen, Pink Floyd - The Wall, Poltergeist, Porky's (what?), Tootsie, Tron, The Verdict, The World According to Garp)

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Was 1984 the greatest year in movies ever? | EW.com

From the article...
"Over the past few months, a lot has of ink has been spilled about how 1939 was the greatest year in movies ever. After all, that was the year of The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind. Granted, not a bad double whammy. And it didn't stop there: 1939 also was the year of Stagecoach, Wuthering Heights, Love Affair, Gunga Din, Dark Victory, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame.Those are all celluloid gems, no doubt about it. But aside from the first two, how many of them make you honestly want to play hooky and watch right this second?

I thought so.

So let me put forth an alternate argument. When it comes to the year-in-film you really want to waste a Cheetos-snarfing afternoon on the sofa with, all you have to do is go back 25 years. Will the cinema eggheads and film snobs ever agree with this? Of course not. Not when you're dealing with movies like Ghostbusters (pictured), Bachelor Party, and Gremlins. But personally, I'll take 1984 over just about any other Hollywood vintage..."

- The Lonely Guy
- Broadway Danny Rose
- Footloose
- Splash
- Romancing the Stone
- Spinal Tap
- Suburbia
- Friday the 13th
- The Bounty
- The Natural
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
- Firestarter
- Sixteen Candles
- Gremlins
- Bachelor Party
- Top Secret!
- The Karate Kid
- Conan the Destroyer
- Cannonball Run II
- Ghostbusters
- Repo Man
- The Gods Must Be Crazy
- Purple Rain
- Red Dawn
- Tightrope
- Amadeus
- Body Double
- The Terminator
- The Killing Fields
- A Nightmare on Elm Street
- Beverly Hills Cop
- Dune
- The Flamingo Kid
- Johnny Dangerously
- Breakin'

Ghostbusters-team.jpg

Even with Breakin, it was a really good year for movies. I'll watch a lot of those over and over.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Musically and Movie-wise, the 80's weren't the crapfest they're made out to be by most. There was a lot of good stuff if you knew where to look. It's certainly my favorite years of music. But then I remember seeing MTV for the first time and having a crush on Nina Blackwood and Martha Quinn. :D

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Dune was alright. I don't know why they chose to deviate from the book, but it was cool to see that universe fleshed out on the big screen.