Warner Announces Red2Blu program.

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
Red2Blu - Upgrade Your Warner Bros. HD-DVDs for New Blu-Ray Discs

From Blu-ray.com

Warner Home Video through their WBShop.com website has announced that they will now allow HD DVD owners to exchange their old Warner HD DVDs for the Blu-ray version. This may be the last chance for owners of the now defunct high definition format to salvage some worth from their film libraries before sacrificing the discs to the dumpster gods.

The process is simple:
  1. Click here and select the HD DVD titles you want to exchange for Blu-rays.
    • Limit one exchange per title
    • Upgrade fee of $4.95 per title
    • Shipping fee of $6.95 per order ($8.95 per order for Hawaii, Alaska, and Puerto Rico)
  2. Mail the original cover-art to Warner's processing center
  3. Receive new discs in 4-5 weeks

Its great to see that Warner is admitting some responsibility for their previous decisions (beyond management reconstruction). I will be eager to see if Paramount and Universal will also follow suit with similar exchange programs of their own.

Bookworm

Oct 12, 2008
Charlotte, NC
My HD DVDs work just fine in my Toshiba HD XA2 thank you very much. There's no reason I can't have both HD DVD and Bluray. Now if they want me to buy Blurays they should bring the price down below $20 and I might buy a few.

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
How is $12 a movie plus disk a good deal again?

Read it again...it's a $6.95 flat rate shipping fee per order, with an order being up to 25 titles. So if you exchange 10 titles, it's $49.50 plus $6.95 shipping.

sgip2000

Oct 16, 2008
Hillsboro, OR
Playback of my HD-DVDs has been much more reliable than with Blu-Ray.

With the high prices of BD as well as the playback issues, I don't see BD selling very well for a while.