Vista-ToWindows 7 Free Upgrades Start June 26

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Hmmmm...I thought Vista was perfect? If so, why would Microsoft be giving Win7 away for free? Just sayin'......................

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Hmmmm...I thought Vista was perfect? If so, why would Microsoft be giving Win7 away for free? Just sayin'......................

they did the same thing when XP came out. the alternative is that pc sales slow down as people delay their purchases until the new OS is released and on the shelf.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I think towards the launch of XP, you could by a Win2K machine with an included XP upgrade. But it was not a freebie for all Win2K boxes (I just retired the last Win2K boxes in my office...that was a good OS). Looks like all Vista users are getting the upgrade option.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
I think towards the launch of XP, you could by a Win2K machine with an included XP upgrade. But it was not a freebie for all Win2K boxes (I just retired the last Win2K boxes in my office...that was a good OS). Looks like all Vista users are getting the upgrade option.

Well, anyone who buys a Vista machine on or after June 26 according to the article. That's about how I remember it for XP in the form of coupons like you mentioned. I wish they would offer a free upgrade to all Vista users! I like Vista and have no plans to upgrade, but if it were free I might reconsider :).

phillyphan

Oct 11, 2008
Philly area
Darn. My Vista laptop is too old for the free upgrade to Windows 7. I am getting fed up with Vista though. Please see my recent posts in my thread on "Home network." I need help getting SP2 applied. Also, Windows Update is failing all of a sudden. Thanks.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Darn. My Vista laptop is too old for the free upgrade to Windows 7. I am getting fed up with Vista though. Please see my recent posts in my thread on "Home network." I need help getting SP2 applied. Also, Windows Update is failing all of a sudden. Thanks.
As far as windows update goes did you try disabling your firewall?

phillyphan

Oct 11, 2008
Philly area
I preordered 2 copies of Windows 7 Home Premium upgrades on Newegg for $49.99 apiece. I wonder why MS did not advertise the preorder period better in the U.S.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I preordered 2 copies of Windows 7 Home Premium upgrades on Newegg for $49.99 apiece. I wonder why MS did not advertise the preorder period better in the U.S.

Every web site I've been on lately they've had pop ups and advertising, so I am not sure I follow you. I don't think they did a national campaign of TV, but the news has certainly be out there for those on the internet.

phillyphan

Oct 11, 2008
Philly area
Every web site I've been on lately they've had pop ups and advertising, so I am not sure I follow you. I don't think they did a national campaign of TV, but the news has certainly be out there for those on the internet.

Yea, I mean TV. As for the internet, I probably did not see the ads since I use Firefox disabling pop ups and ads.