Various Thoughts

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
From what I've heard about backstage SNL, I don't think humans could keep up the pace for 52 weeks/year...not without a whole lotta coke.

Yeah, that makes sense. A year-round schedule would probably mean about two shows per month...at least this way, they don't have to worry about people being out late during the summer. I'd imagine that people are more likely to be home at 11:30 on a Saturday night in November-April than they are from May-August.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
90 minutes live.
No retakes. The writers are writing up to showtime to keep up with the news.
They don't have the luxury of writing scripts months in advance.
A different host that needs to learn the routine each week.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
90 minutes live.
No retakes. The writers are writing up to showtime to keep up with the news.
They don't have the luxury of writing scripts months in advance.
A different host that needs to learn the routine each week.

Yeah. They'll even change stuff not only between the dress rehearsal and the live show, but during the live show.

It probably wouldn't be too exciting, but if they did a live "Behind the Scenes" on one of their other channels, I'd tune in.

NBC with the regular broadcast.
Some combination of Bravo, CNBC, MSNBC, SyFy and USA could show live coverage from behind the stage hosted by a former SNL cast member, one or two angles from the audience's viewpoint and one channel would show coverage from the control room.

(Did we already talk about this on this site??)

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It's got to be expensive to put on.
I bet that their ratings drop like crazy over the summer months anyway. Their demographic is out partying then.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
Heard a prostate medicine ad a couple of times on TSS: "Do you have to get up an go to the bathroom several times a night?" Is his elderly audience (which would include me) that big?

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Heard a prostate medicine ad a couple of times on TSS: "Do you have to get up an go to the bathroom several times a night?" Is his elderly audience (which would include me) that big?
I'd say much of Howard's audience is as old as him. Like Letterman, he had a teen/ college audience in the early days, but over the years he lost that segment. One of the big anti-Howard arguments from the O&A crowd was that he was not relevant to young people. I'd say if you're still in your 20's, you can't possibly know who he is (other than that judge on AGT).

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I'd say much of Howard's audience is as old as him. Like Letterman, he had a teen/ college audience in the early days, but over the years he lost that segment. One of the big anti-Howard arguments from the O&A crowd was that he was not relevant to young people. I'd say if you're still in your 20's, you can't possibly know who he is (other than that judge on AGT).

Good point. I was in about seventh grade when the movie came out. I'm probably one of the youngest HS fans. I believe Chob (from the BTLS supermarks) was in HS when BTLS was on Sirius.

By all accounts, demographically speaking, I probably shouldn't be hanging out with the HS fans.

Keep in mind he went to pay radio 10 years ago. People who are in their 20s were teens then and were probably listening to Top-40 stations on Pandora and their iPods.

later

Jul 22, 2009
I'm 30, so I think I may be one of his young listeners, but I have listened to the show since 97, what set this show a part from the rest was the ball busting among staff, the fact that Howard could make something really minor into a huge ordeal, he would have would have people like Hank on and make them really interesting. Now the show is just interviews, all of the past stuff is gone along with staff. I never missed a show since ’06, but the past few years, I have not listened as often. I wonder why what set the show apart from the rest is what went away. I don't like the fact that he edits his past shows, I mean much of it is online, and his long time listeners notice, so its not like he's fooling anyone.

I remember being excited when we would go on vacation because the condo we rented got E! When our cable company added E! in 1999… I did not miss a show.

I have to say Howard got me through some hard times in my life, I would turn him on and knew I would laugh. I have yet to find anyone as good as him to listen to. Oh well he's done this for over 30 years, he kinda deserves to coast a bit,but I wish every so often we would have classic Howard.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
There's a McDonald's right across the street from Yankee Stadium. I wonder how many of their employees Artie put through college.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
someone please tell me the talk ladies and ellen were entertaining. looking at the rundown of yesterdays show im sadly not excited for his first show back from vacation. both of those interviews seem like FF city to me. perhaps it will be a short 2 hour show for me, the opening segment and robins news.

wickerbill

Jan 20, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I enjoyed the Ellen interview, but I skipped Sharon and Julie. Why does Gary seem to book those women every six months or so? Do they really think that they're that interesting?

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I enjoyed the Ellen interview, but I skipped Sharon and Julie. Why does Gary seem to book those women every six months or so? Do they really think that they're that interesting?

my guess is howard likes sharon and thus she always gets approval. also i think he likes to have julie cause it shows hes over any feud with leslie moonves who despite whatever kind of man he is hes quite powerful.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
I caught most of the Ellen interview and overall enjoyed it. However, Howard was cutting her off way too much and he was somewhat unprepared. He said something like "Isn't it true that she turned down the role of Phoebe for friends? Answer... totally untrue. She had been associated with show other show with the word "friends" in it. He did a few more questions like that where he seemed totally misinformed. I cannot believe the research was that bad. I suspect Howard just breezed through it and misread it. As for Sharon Osbourne, I am not interested every since the Kelly Osbourne sand bagging of Melissa Rivers on Fashion Police and Sharon's praise of her daughter for doing it.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I caught most of the Ellen interview and overall enjoyed it. However, Howard was cutting her off way too much and he was somewhat unprepared. He said something like "Isn't it true that she turned down the role of Phoebe for friends? Answer... totally untrue. She had been associated with show other show with the word "friends" in it. He did a few more questions like that where he seemed totally misinformed. I cannot believe the research was that bad. I suspect Howard just breezed through it and misread it. As for Sharon Osbourne, I am not interested every since the Kelly Osbourne sand bagging of Melissa Rivers on Fashion Police and Sharon's praise of her daughter for doing it.
Agreed, I liked the Ellen interview and was especially not interested in the inane topics thrown at Julie Chen (her weight loss), or hearing Sharon make the same observations over again.

However, I couldn't help but notice that Howard's ass-kissing has reached new levels. "I love when you come out and dance at the beginning of your show". What!? Didn't he spend several years of his life mocking her dancing, and the entire premise that the "guy-like" Ellen (his words) danced as some sort of cover for her "manliness"? Did I dream all of this?