Various Thoughts

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
like the league crew said when they were on TWUS a few months ago they really do try to throw in stern references wherever they can. there have been a bunch on the league and just last night i was watching parks and recreation and jason mantzoukas managed to get a "whoa whoa whoa, stop the clock" in during a scene with amy and adam scott. hahah good stuff.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
I happened on to Private Parts the other day and it reminded me of the two comic mentalities of Howard. The scene was of a woman at home getting off sitting on a speaker while Howard made vibrating sounds into the microphone. The original bit was stupid and fake and Howard's acting in that scene was like the TV talk-show Howard, loud and over broad ... definitely lowest common denominator stuff and definitely not Oscar caliber. On a show this week he was letting Sal go on at length about wiping (every time Sal said "sphincter" I hated him) and at some point he (Howard) talked about how hilarious it would be if High Pitch Eric sang the Tailor Swift song Shake it while standing next to some guy urinating in a men's room. Huh? He has always acknowledged his love of duty jokes and such. I have never found them funny. Yet he can riff and comment extemporaneously on such a high level, make a staged event like an amputee beauty contest compelling and funny and conduct brilliant interviews....really like no one else.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I still laugh at pee jokes. It's the 5th grader in me that I haven't outgrown. I was at a big beer festival last summer and there was a huge row of porta-pots lined up. When I got inside one, I started yelling "It burns! It burns!" really loudly. It got a lot of laughs by the crowd that was still in line.

Sent from Tapatalk

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I happened on to Private Parts the other day and it reminded me of the two comic mentalities of Howard. The scene was of a woman at home getting off sitting on a speaker while Howard made vibrating sounds into the microphone. The original bit was stupid and fake and Howard's acting in that scene was like the TV talk-show Howard, loud and over broad ... definitely lowest common denominator stuff and definitely not Oscar caliber. On a show this week he was letting Sal go on at length about wiping (every time Sal said "sphincter" I hated him) and at some point he (Howard) talked about how hilarious it would be if High Pitch Eric sang the Tailor Swift song Shake it while standing next to some guy urinating in a men's room. Huh? He has always acknowledged his love of duty jokes and such. I have never found them funny. Yet he can riff and comment extemporaneously on such a high level, make a staged event like an amputee beauty contest compelling and funny and conduct brilliant interviews....really like no one else.

OMG..the Hi-Pitch bit would be FANTASTIC! I'm with HecticArt.

I mean, if it's not that, it's saving kittens and AGT talk. As much crap as we gave Howard for being "gross-out, immature" etc...maybe absence really does make the heart grow fonder.

For me, Howard is Robo Spanker, Daniel Carver, Dial-A-Date, Win Fred's Money, midget bowling, Kurt Waldheim Jr, HPE and a dead fish, chickens picking NFL games, Fred getting drunk and falling down the steps, Siobahn, etc.

Maybe the 23,000 hours of tapes was the downfall..paying all that money and then there's no need to have actual content. (And even for a while, some of those "specials" were played in the same order just a year or so later!)

Last edited:

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Howard TV:

I wonder if he actually had something in the pipes. When HowardTV went off the air, he said he had something "not quite ready to announce." With no TV staff around, it seems like the last thing they video recorded was the birthday bash. When Robin was out sick, they had the camera.

Not that they have much to show, but some of those classic clips would have a lot of views for sure. I'm surprised Howard just doesn't make a deal with Netflix where he can still own the video, but effectively "lease" it to Netflix for a few thousand (million?) per year.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
i thought it was neat to learn that they are still filming the shows even if they dont get put out anywhere right now. when bradley cooper was in he asked them to turn off the cameras if he was going to do elephant man and howard said something like 'oh i think we only have a few wide shots going anyway.'

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
The softening of the show began when Lange tried to off himself. December 2009. It's been a slow progression to this point but this is the turning point. AGT came, cats came, 3 day weeks came, 2 day weeks came. But also some guests they never could have gotten before 2010 came also. Trade off. Also, how far could they have taken some of their bits any farther than they did in 2006-2008.

the big celebrity guest do not impress me in any shape form or fashion if the regular show is gonna be castrated in the process of getting them to appear.

I'd prefer not having them if they could go back to being raunchy, how they were in the late 2000's.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I'd prefer not having them if they could go back to being raunchy, how they were in the late 2000's.

I also miss the raunch, but I also think it was probably time for Howard to give that gig up. It's funny if he's 30 or 40 and asking a stripper to undress and have something thrown at her butt, but when Howard is approximately age 60 and married, it's probably more creepy than anything. Keep in mind that his oldest daughter is around 31 or so and his youngest is mid-20s. I can see why he gave that up when his kids were approaching that age.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
this may come as a shock to everyone but remember the clip of that gay dude in the church saying "im not gay no more." that howard played a bunch? well somehow the devil got to him and hes still gay.
You just need to see what he's dressed like in the picture to know he's still gay.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
I also miss the raunch, but I also think it was probably time for Howard to give that gig up. It's funny if he's 30 or 40 and asking a stripper to undress and have something thrown at her butt, but when Howard is approximately age 60 and married, it's probably more creepy than anything. Keep in mind that his oldest daughter is around 31 or so and his youngest is mid-20s. I can see why he gave that up when his kids were approaching that age.

thats the problem. he was doing that shit in his mid 50's, but stopped in his late 50's. so it's not like he all of a sudden got too old for it. I think he's more concerned about being more PC and mainstream, which is the main motivator for stopping most of the antics that made him famous/infamous.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
With all of the public praise he's getting for being a great interviewer, I think he's wanting to position himself as a new generation Barbara Walters type. It's another trophy for his shelf of accomplishments if he can pull off the transition from "successful shock-jock" to "taken seriously by the public." At least that's what I see. He want's his legacy to be more than fartman.

Reactions: Ehilbert1

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
howard "if u get stuck in the elevator thats a lucky break for you."
robin "yea, some excitement in ur life."

hahahahahahaha!!!! im listening to high pitch in studio right now and that made me crack up like a maniac. i love when they go in depth with these wack packers.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
on mondays show howard said that the next show vacation is not for 7 weeks. so i think that means the show will be live until the week of may 25! thats good news. i was expecting at least 1 week off before then. maybe there will still be some 2 day weeks, ill guess we will have to wait and see. god knows, when the live agt shows come along there will be tons of vacation time.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
on mondays show howard said that the next show vacation is not for 7 weeks. so i think that means the show will be live until the week of may 25! thats good news. i was expecting at least 1 week off before then. maybe there will still be some 2 day weeks, ill guess we will have to wait and see. god knows, when the live agt shows come along there will be tons of vacation time.

Yeah... We all know his story about how it's relatively close to the same number of shows as in 2011 vs now, but instead of taking Monday-Wednesday off, he's taking off three Wednesdays as the contract calls for "X number of shows per year."

I think we all saw that calendar a few years ago and how it was shown to be wrong. I just wish someone had the time to go through MarksFriggin and fact-check that statement.