upgrading from SL100 to SL2

Plowboy67

Feb 26, 2009
SE MN
Some time in the next 2 months, I will be upgrading from a SL100 to an SL2. Am I right in assuming that I have to switch out all my docks to do this?

Thanks

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
The docs are modifiable if you have the patience and skill. me_ruben had a thread at SBS showing exactly how it could be done. That really should be moved over here.

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
The docs are modifiable if you have the patience and skill.

The patience and skill required to modify the docks are minimal, believe me. I sliced the plastic guides off my SL100 home, car and Executive docks in about 10 minutes TOTAL. All 3 docks are still working perfectly with my S2 well over a year later (got my S2 in 12/07).

Without the guides, and with the S2 being a tiny bit narrower, you do have to be careful docking the receiver, and it is a little looser in each dock. But that has never been a problem for me. I never found a need to go the extra step with the above mentioned procedure to reinstall (ie super glue) revised plastic guides onto the docks.

And though I bought the right (SLPK2 - thank you, TSS) case for the S2 I got my son and his wife as a Xmas present, I'm still using my original SL100 case for my own S2. The SL-PK1 Directed Electronics case is a little big - and you have to slide the reciever out to access a couple of the side controls - but other than that it works perfectly.

Enjoy your new S2 (just remember to get the 4 year warranty). The S3 will surely be out within the next 2 or 3 years.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Go for it. It's an easy switch, and you'll love the stability of the unit. I got a car dock and one home dock for my office. I still have 2 old SL100 docks that I modified that i use at home.

Everything works perfectly.

I even modified one of my cases to safely transport my SL2.

If you decide to go with new stuff, TSS will take good care of you!

Plowboy67

Feb 26, 2009
SE MN
Lots of info... thanks guys

Just what I was looking for. I've got a SL100 that I purchased at Best Buy back in 7/07 and it eats batteries like crazy. I purchased the extended warranty and am hoping they'll swap it for a new SL2. I have 7 mobile docks, boombox, plus the home dock and was told at BB that you have to buy all new docks. WRONG

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
Just what I was looking for. I've got a SL100 that I purchased at Best Buy back in 7/07 and it eats batteries like crazy. I purchased the extended warranty and am hoping they'll swap it for a new SL2. I have 7 mobile docks, boombox, plus the home dock and was told at BB that you have to buy all new docks. WRONG

That's exactly why so many of us recommend the BB PSP so highly. I used the plan to upgrade to the S2 when the second headphone jack failed on my (also second) SL100. Can't beat BB customer service (IMO, of course) when it comes to warranty exchanges.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
You don't have to replace all your docks, you just want to be extra careful when you put your radio in a dock. The sl2 dock connector on the bottom of the radio is fragile. As long as you are careful it shouldn't be a problem. If you use the soloist, buy the sl2 adapter for it. It's only 5 bucks. I've messed up 2 sl2 dock connectors not using the right part.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
you can mod the sl1 docks to work with the sl2.

before you buy i would look into the xmp3 player. i love my sl2 and it is the best option sirius offers but it does have issues with deleting your recordings randomly. im not sure if the xmp3 has any big issues and if not, you may want to go with that.

-jhdk

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
I tried to find this on the old site but was unable to locate it. I'm assuming a dremel tool would make this fairly easy.

A dremel's really not needed to remove the old plastic guides. Any sharp blade (like an exacto, utility knife or even a razor blade) will work fine. And even if you're not real neat, once the receiver is docked, you can't see where the old guides were any way.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
you can mod the sl1 docks to work with the sl2.

before you buy i would look into the xmp3 player. i love my sl2 and it is the best option sirius offers but it does have issues with deleting your recordings randomly. im not sure if the xmp3 has any big issues and if not, you may want to go with that.

-jhdk

I was wondering if it's even a good idea to get a SL2 now. I really wanted to get one for my sister,but it seems like it has a lot of issues and Sirius seems to have abondoned it. I've had mine for a while and I've been having problems lately. I read some of the other threads and I shut it down once a week and its ok. I just don't know if I should spend that much on something that is having issues. What do you guys think?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I was wondering if it's even a good idea to get a SL2 now. I really wanted to get one for my sister,but it seems like it has a lot of issues and Sirius seems to have abondoned it. I've had mine for a while and I've been having problems lately. I read some of the other threads and I shut it down once a week and its ok. I just don't know if I should spend that much on something that is having issues. What do you guys think?

I still love the radio, quirks and all. I would buy it again. I guess it depends on your tolerance for 'glitches'.

thelber

Feb 17, 2009
Ohio, USA
Given all the issues people are having with the SL2 I decided to order my second SL100. Hopefully it'll be as problem free as my first one.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule

id say it totally depends on how often you (or your sis) listen to sat rad and if you already have another mp3 player. i use mine everyday. period. that being the case i find that despite the pain in the ass random deleting of my stern shows the device is still quite good and worth the boatload of cash i spent on it. also, like ive said before, the sl2 is my first and only mp3 player. i dont count the s50 because i never put my own music on it. as an mp3 player i find that i enjoy it very much and it works well.

i have had very few issues with the sl2 as an mp3 player. i load a bunch of stuff straight onto my micro sd card via a converter. by doing this i have had no problems at all with the mp3's and can trust the units reliability.

the only two things that could be better, imo, is it would be so freaking cool if it could play video, and it could use more space. i have the 8gb card in mine and find it holds about 1200 of my tunes. i listen to a lot of jam bands so many of my songs are long, over 5 mins. you may be able to fit more tunes on your depending on quality and length of the songs. the good news is that i just read in another post that although the user guide says an 8gb card is the largest it supports, you can actually get away with using a 16gb card, it will just take longer to load upon startup. so i love my sl2. its ashame that i learned of this the exact day i got my 8gb card in the mail from ebay. 16gb cards are still kinda pricey, in the $50 area on ebay. the good news is that i remember the 8gb card being around that price december 07. so i am just going to wait it out a bit until i can get the 16gb card for the same price i just bought the 8gb card, only $15.

the unit is rather durable as well. i have invishields on the screen and i use the case i got from tss all the time. i have dropped the device many times with no problems. just yesterday i had it on my lap when i got out of the car and it hit the cement, in its case of course, and nothing happened. the only durability issues ive had deals with slight cracking. in my car the sl2 is just below my dash, and when its is sunny, the light directly hits the device. as a result of this there have been slight cracks develop around the area where the internal antenna is. i was all sorts of worried about this, hoping it would not get worse. i have since used the invisiheld on the top of the player and the cracks have not worsened since.

well, there are my two cents. i hope it will help. overall though, the sl2 has proven to be a worthy player the whole time i have had it and the pros by far outweigh the cons.

-jhdk

Last edited: