Upgrade to Premium broken or am I?

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
OK, so my free online streaming finally died as my yearly renewal came about. I'm trying to upgrade to Premium, since I listen on line quite a bit, but it seems that no matter what CC info I enter into the craptacular form, I get an error about my card info being incorrect. It worked on Friday when they charged me my annual fee, however ;-)

Anyone else tried lately and had issues?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
We know the internet radio system was screwed up over the weekend, now rather that impacted their ability to accept new customers I have no idea. Seems that it has since normalized, though there were changes that took place that renders some 3rd party apps unusable.

If push come to shove you can always call and see about adding it. You tried adding it through a Sirius account or XM account?

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
We know the internet radio system was screwed up over the weekend, now rather that impacted their ability to accept new customers I have no idea. Seems that it has since normalized, though there were changes that took place that renders some 3rd party apps unusable.

If push come to shove you can always call and see about adding it. You tried adding it through a Sirius account or XM account?

Yeah, I had heard about things going blooey for people, so I held off until last night once I started reading that things were back to normal. I evetually tried calling them around 10pm, but got a message that they were closed -- I always thought that they were open later than that. Of course, on their website, I couldn't find any indication of their phone hours. I WANT to give them money and they even make that difficult. :)

I'm going to try again in a few minutes, and will call if need be...

ether3a1

Nov 16, 2009
You know what, I had the oddest issue with my credit card. I think there's an error in their code, because my card expires October 2011, yet my CC always came back with wrong information. I checked my bank online account and it said it was being declined because of the wrong expiration date being entered, even though I was entering it correctly. I called and did the order through there and it worked just fine.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
You know what, I had the oddest issue with my credit card. I think there's an error in their code, because my card expires October 2011, yet my CC always came back with wrong information. I checked my bank online account and it said it was being declined because of the wrong expiration date being entered, even though I was entering it correctly. I called and did the order through there and it worked just fine.

Yep - trouble again with the web today, but called in and they set it up just fine. Something wonky over on their end. Lord knows what, especially since it works fine on their internal systems.

Either way, streaming is back, and now at 128K for me - wheeee!

Daddy-O

Nov 18, 2009
Ohio
I'm in the middle of my 2 yr. contract with XM, last week I deactivated my old radio and activated a new one. A couple of days later I tried to listen online but it didn't work, come to find out my account had been deactivated.

I called tonight and they told me if I wanted online streaming I would have to pay and extra 2.99 a month, I'm just curious why they would shut it off in the middle of a contract.

I got an email tonight from a Vice President of Marketing wanting to know why I cancelled my subscription....I'll damn sure thinking about it at renewal time!

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I'm in the middle of my 2 yr. contract with XM, last week I deactivated my old radio and activated a new one. A couple of days later I tried to listen online but it didn't work, come to find out my account had been deactivated.

I called tonight and they told me if I wanted online streaming I would have to pay and extra 2.99 a month, I'm just curious why they would shut it off in the middle of a contract.

It's a weak argument, but I think their stance is that things are tied to the radio (similar to how 'lifetime' works). So even though you didn't cancel your account, you made a change that they consider significant. Might be worth making a bit of noise about since they are offering all sorts of incentives to not quit - - a few months of streaming may not be too difficult to get.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

Ahh you had the free 32kb streaming because of locking in on a 2 year plan. So, you change your radio and lose that? I think that is crazy, if you didn't change your plan, then what radio you are using should not matter.

I'd keep calling and make a stink until they add it back for free! Though I will tell you in my opinion the improved 128kb streaming service is so much better in terms of SQ.

Daddy-O

Nov 18, 2009
Ohio
Ahh you had the free 32kb streaming because of locking in on a 2 year plan. So, you change your radio and lose that? I think that is crazy, if you didn't change your plan, then what radio you are using should not matter.

I'd keep calling and make a stink until they add it back for free! Though I will tell you in my opinion the improved 128kb streaming service is so much better in terms of SQ.

Actually this is my 6th year with XM and I've had the online streaming since day one, guess it's all about money.

Oh I do plan on calling back, doubtful it will do any good but I'll try.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
If you are locked in a 2 year plan, they should honor the included streaming. It probably takes a manual override or something like that to make that happen. By default, their system probably automatically cuts off the free streaming when there is a change. I'd call back and bitch.

But yeah, the low bit rate streaming is useless for all but over small computer speakers. To me, the premium sub is worth the $2.99/month. But who am I to spend someone else's money?

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
But yeah, the low bit rate streaming is useless for all but over small computer speakers. To me, the premium sub is worth the $2.99/month. But who am I to spend someone else's money?

Quality was fine for most of what I used it for (mainly listening to Stern and Bubba), but I do have to say that the difference since upgrade is pretty noticeable and rather nice when I do decide to listen to music channels that way.

Wish they would do a discount for a second streaming sub, though :)