up for renewal, trying to figure out best subscription for me

the block

Dec 3, 2009
I'm closing in on the end of my 1 year subscription and am looking for a little guidance on what I should do now. I just have a regular ole' Sirius subscription, no ala cart, no best of XM. Last time I renewed was before the merger, before royalty fees, and before being charged for internet streaming. It really seems like Sirius is really trying to nickel and dime the hell out of their customers now.

My radio is set on Howard 100 about 95% of the time. The other 5% is if I have been listening to Howard a lot that week and have heard everything, I'll switch to a music channel or sports radio or something. I don't see how the royalty fees should apply to me as I very rarely listen to music channels, and if it meant I didn't have to pay the royalty fee, I am fine and dandy with not even getting the music channels. I can listen to FM radio the 5% of the time I'm not listening to Howard.

One thing that I don't get that I would like, is MLB play by play. I am a big baseball fan and find myself on the road a lot during games that I am out of signal for on terrestrial radio. This is the one thing that XM has that I would want.

So when it comes down to it, I pretty much just want Howard and MLB play by play. I know there is no plan specific to that, but what would be my best strategy for obtaining that combination of channels for the least price. From what I saw, it seems like if you are on Sirius and want MLB, you have to sign up for the best of XM package which is $17 a month, and if you are on XM and want Howard, you need the best of Sirius which is $17 a month as well. I'm not a big fan of having to pay for 100+ channels when I am only going to listen to 3 or 4 of them, but I understand that's how they make money, I'm just looking to limit the damage.

I was also thinking about a lifetime subscription, but it looks like they don't offer them anymore (or at least advertise them). If I bought lifetime for sirius, would I get MLB, would I have to pay extra for it, would it not even be available, does lifetime include internet streaming now?

Also would I need a new radio to get MLB? I currently have a starmate 4. So what should I do? What plan would work best for me? Would switching to XM help me at all?

And once I know the plan I want, are there any strategies or suggestions on how to get the Sirius CSR's to cut you deals and promotions? I have heard if you threaten to cancel they will start throwing deals at you as they try to keep retention as high as possible. Would it be beneficial to talk to them about how I feel I am getting less for more money since I last renewed my subscription (IE now have to pay royalty fees, no longer get free streaming internet radio). I don't mind threatening to cancel, I just wouldn't know what to do if they called my bluff, as I don't want to go without Howard.

thanks for any and all help :cool:

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
if you want mlb games you're going to have to get xm then get the best of sirius to get stern.

both sirius and xm still offer lifetime subs.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
if you want mlb games you're going to have to get xm then get the best of sirius to get stern.

Unfortunately, this is true. The only way to get MLB and Howard is to have an XM radio with "Best of Sirius" for the $17 a month. The only way to have Howard on Sirius is to get the "Sirius Everything" package for the price of "Sirius Everything." There are very few packages that bypass the music fee. Unfortunately, both "Sirius Everything" and "XM Everything with Best of Sirius" come with the music fee.

You may be able to listen through a computer without paying the $2.99, but I don't know if you can or not. If you have a Stilletto 100 or Stiletto 2, you don't have to pay the $2.99, but you will only be able to listen online through the Stilleto at 32K.

Bottom line? People who like Howard 100/101 and/or The Virus (XM 202, Sirius 197 - "Best of XM") have no choice but to pay the full $12.99, plus music fee.

Last edited:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
So how much would a lifetime be with Everything XM and BOS included? Regular price? Or more with BOS?
Posted via Mobile Device

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
In good conscience, I could not recommend a Sirius Subscription with the Best of XM over an XM Subscription with the Best of Sirius.

Not only will you get the MLB, but you'll get a few more music channels that you can't get on Sirius. Plus you get Talk channels you can't get on Sirius. Coast to Coast AM is only on XM.

There are more college football & basketball games on XM w/BOS.

If you can only go 1 year at a time, with XM, then do that. If you can afford a lifetime subscriptions with the BOS, do. You'll be happy, as long as you radio doesn't go in the tank :)

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
To put it in perspective, I pay $80 a month (or about $960 a year) for Dish network. my contract with them is up in February. I'm cutting costs so I'll be switching to other, cheaper alternatives for Television (Apple TV, Netflix, MLB.TV and ESPN360 for Baseball season). And XM would be apart of that to get News (CNN, FOX, CNBC and BBC) and the talk stations. I'd still have Slacker/Pandora/iPod for music, save for the occassional XM special stuff like Dylan's Theme Time Radio hour and Buried Treasure.
What I am waiting for is a Skydock Home Dock. Once that happens I'll be ready to buy.

bigdaddyII

Oct 13, 2008
Southern Louisiana
Last time I renewed was before the merger as well. I did a 2 year sub and have another year left. When it comes due again I will likely go with the same re-up at the higher price, although I have been kicking around the lifetime option, but will end up with another 2 years.
Posted via Mobile Device

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
Just so it's clear, you can't get MLB on Sirius with BoXM. For once MLB is the villian here and not SiriusXM. MLB already gets more distribution money from sat rad than any other sports league, and they want a lot more to distribute to Sirius customers. I don't know in what universe MLB thinks they are worth more than NFL, but that's the situation. I guess playing in front of empty stadiums hasn't left an impression on these greedy scumbags. I don't know of a way to get what you want any cheaper. You could try telling them you wanna cancel, and when they ask why, tell them you don't want to pay extra for internet streaming, and you don't think it's right to pay the royalty fees because you don't listen to music. They may give you a discount on your sub, and give you a free upgrade to premium internet for awhile. Good luck.