Ufc

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Does anyone really care? :right:

I mean really. On the front page of ESPN.com :shock:

Might as well put Hulk Hogan ripping off on if his Hulkamania t-shirts on the front of ESPN.com :worried:
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008

I used to love to watch WWF when I was in high school. I went to an event in San Diego back in 1991. I was rooting for Ric Flair while everyone else was rooting for Hulk Hogan :)

I just can't get into this stuff anymore. Doesn't do anything for me :worried:

Have fun if you like it. Someone must if it's on the front of ESPN.com :)

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
I use to watch WWF too, it was good, but it is totally fake compared to ufc. You can't compare WWF to UFC at all..

Last edited:

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Does anyone really care? :right:

It is a very popular niche sport...but...a niche sport nonetheless. I agree, I probably would not put it on ESPN's front page.

Remember when Brock Lesnar tried to make the Minnesota Vikings a few years back?

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.

I used to love to watch WWF when I was in high school. I went to an event in San Diego back in 1991. I was rooting for Ric Flair while everyone else was rooting for Hulk Hogan :)

I just can't get into this stuff anymore. Doesn't do anything for me :worried:

Have fun if you like it. Someone must if it's on the front of ESPN.com :)

Big difference between UFC and WWF. Having gone through combatives training, I like UFC even more. You can appreciate what they're doing - the strategy behind it.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Was it on pay-per-view because I couldn't find it anywhere...

The only reason I would care is Jason Ellis is a big fan, and he won 2/3 of the bets he made last night. Now he gets beeds in his ass... Man, I hope he's on air Monday:buttrock:

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Was it on pay-per-view because I couldn't find it anywhere...

The only reason I would care is Jason Ellis is a big fan, and he won 2/3 of the bets he made last night. Now he gets beeds in his ass... Man, I hope he's on air Monday:buttrock:

Loved that Dana called in and gave him tickets. Ellis is learning to use his expanding popularity.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I've tried but I really can't get into UFC. Here are, in my opinion, the problems with it and why I don't like it. Feel free to fire back at me, these are just my opinions.

1. Too many leagues. UFC, Extreme Cagefighting, Pride, EliteXC, AFfliction, etc. This waters down the talent pool and keeps the best in each wieght from fighting each other.
2. Too many untalented fighters. There are WAY too many people that call themselves Ultimate Fighters. Too many former college wrestlers and just local tough guys trying to compete. For every one George St. Pierre, a TRUE TALENT, there are llike 500 other guys that are really lousy.
3. Most of these guys can't punch at all. I still say that a good professional boxer would destroy just about any UFC fighter because most of these UFC guys can't strike very well. I know, I know, you will say that they would just "take the boxer down to the ground" but I don't think they woudl be able too. Pretty hard to take a guy down when you're getting fast, powerful punches thrown in your face.
4. DANA WHITE comes off as a total dick in his interviews and Joe Rogan is super annoying.

Also, I feel that anybody that would just train really hard for about 6 months could get into and win a UFC fight. Try training for 6 months and then trying to walk onto an NFL team or a MLB team or NBA team. You'd get laughed of the field. The most premier athletes go to the NFL, NBA, MLB and that takes TALENT, instinct, skill and athleticism. UFC just takes technique.

Case in point. Jason Ellis, who does a 4 hour radio show everyday of the week considers himself a UFC fighter. Really? You do a 4 hour radio show and still have time to be a pro athlete? Not too many Linebackers in the NFL host a 4 hour radio show. Why not? They're too busy practicing and studying.

I understand it's appeal over boxing but I still feel that boxing is better, harder and more of an art.

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
I've tried but I really can't get into UFC. Here are, in my opinion, the problems with it and why I don't like it. Feel free to fire back at me, these are just my opinions.

4. DANA WHITE comes off as a total dick in his interviews and Joe Rogan is super annoying.

Agree, I can't stand him much myself.. Hubby hates the guy... I won't get into everything he says about him..lol

Also, I feel that anybody that would just train really hard for about 6 months could get into and win a UFC fight. Try training for 6 months and then trying to walk onto an NFL team or a MLB team or NBA team. You'd get laughed of the field. The most premier athletes go to the NFL, NBA, MLB and that takes TALENT, instinct, skill and athleticism. UFC just takes technique.

I have watched some vids that aired on TV over the years that follow some of these fighters around day in and day out and it is pretty amazing to see what these dudes go through on a daily basis and not just 6 months out of the year but 12 months.. It is incredible to see. With that being said I have seen the same with Boxing and it is pretty incredible to see as well the hard work they put into it...

There is true talent out there, aka GSP to name one of them and there are others that are at the bottom of the poll but they have to all start somewhere.. There are alot of boring fights that happen, there were a few lastnight.. Brock Lesnar won last night and had powerful punches but it was basically a lay and pray for him... He stood with Frank Mir for a few seconds and decided to then take Frank down and do the lay and pray yet again, I think if he stood toe to toe with Frank, Frank might have won....

I don't know these types of sports aren't for everyone and not every event is going to be incredible.. Same goes for all sports but they are fun to watch none the less and very, very popular...

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Agree, I can't stand him much myself.. Hubby hates the guy... I won't get into everything he says about him..lol

I have watched some vids that aired on TV over the years that follow some of these fighters around day in and day out and it is pretty amazing to see what these dudes go through on a daily basis and not just 6 months out of the year but 12 months.. It is incredible to see. With that being said I have seen the same with Boxing and it is pretty incredible to see as well the hard work they put into it...

I know a lot of those guys train really hard and it is a year round thing. What I was trying to say is that anyone can learn some holds, practice 8 hours a day for about 6 months and go fight. You CAN'T do that with the NFL, NBA or MLB. These are sports that in addition to hardcore training, you HAVE to have a very freakish ability to play. This is why every track star CAN't go be a Wide Receiver and why every tall guy can't just go play basketball. I could train 8 hours a day for 10 years and I still wouldn't be able to accuratly throw a baseball 100 mph to a chatcher sitting 60 feet 6 inches away. Quite simply, you have to be a physical freak to do that and have done it since you were about 4 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
A good friend and I attended UFC 69 in Houston. Matt Serra beat Georges St-Pierre in the main event. We had a good time, but most of the action was in the stands and definitely more fights.

Now that I have been to a live UFC event, I would rather catch a ballgame.

Reactions: Vargas

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
A good friend and I attended UFC 69 in Houston. Matt Serra beat Georges St-Pierre in the main event. We had a good time, but most of the action was in the stands and definitely more fights.

Now that I have been to a live UFC event, I would rather catch a ballgame.

Yeah they aren't for everyone that's forsure. I have friends that go to them often and have a blast.... I prefer to just watch them at home as it is cheaper and I think you see the action better...

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
Yeah they aren't for everyone that's forsure. I have friends that go to them often and have a blast.... I prefer to just watch them at home as it is cheaper and I think you see the action better...

The best thing about the weekend with my friend, we meet the legendary Cpt. BMF the next night for the first time.