U2 on Lithium?

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
When did U2's Mysterious Ways become 90s alternative? What da frick?

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
One has to suspend logic to enjoy Lithium; here are some of their regular artists:

Counting Crows,
Gin Blossoms,
Goo Goo Dolls,
Toad the Wet Sprocket,
Wallflowers,
Candlebox,
Matchbox Twenty,
Creed,
Dave Matthews Band.

I don't consider any of these to be 90's alternative. However, if they really stuck to the formula, they'd overplay the grunge that much more. So it's a no-win, in my opinion.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I remember listening to that in the 90's a lot. There was a station in Cincinnati that played all kinds of cool stuff from Soundgarden, NIN, The Shamen, The Cure, and U2. . . too.

I think it's a fit. I'd rather hear a bit more depth on the 90's alt side anyway. I don't think there is enough depth to what they play in the grunge category either, but there are soooo many cool bands that were out there doing alt that I miss.

Argji

Oct 14, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
I think U2 is definitely fine and I'm not sure where else their songs from that era would go.

I like the "broader" Lithium after the merger anyway, except I would rather see Matchbox20 and Creed banned to 90s on 9 (but that's just my personal taste).

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
"Mysterious Ways" is also on Slacker's 90s Alternative, so I guess it's part of the 90s Alt canon. It certainly fits the sound.

Wayne Edwards

Oct 13, 2008
Alternative, New Wave, are VERY broad terms. .

True. Every band mentioned in this thread so far got airplay on alternative rock stations in the 90's.

I would agree that if they must play crap like Creed and Matchbox 20, they could also go a little deeper and play some Ash, My Bloody Valentine, Salt, Supergrass, Wax, Brian Jonestown Masacre, etc.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I dunno guys and gals. U2 doesn't fit into that category for me

dlnester

Oct 15, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
U2 was a very big artist on the 90's Alternative and College Stations back in the day... and they fit Lithium now. Remember, this isn't Lithium pre-merger but the Lucy of the XM days with a wider playlist.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
One has to suspend logic to enjoy Lithium; here are some of their regular artists:

Counting Crows,
Gin Blossoms,
Goo Goo Dolls,
Toad the Wet Sprocket,
Wallflowers,
Candlebox,
Matchbox Twenty,
Creed,
Dave Matthews Band.

I don't consider any of these to be 90's alternative. However, if they really stuck to the formula, they'd overplay the grunge that much more. So it's a no-win, in my opinion.

They all fit along with U2. Its what I listened to as alternative in the 90s. Its what I heard on Lucy on XM. Its just not Grunge but the new Lithium is not just grunge. Thats what makes it listenable to me.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
What are Goo Goo Dolls, Wallflowers, Matchbox 20, and Creed "alternatives" to? If I'm correct, the term "alternative" is used to distinguish artists from the mainstream of pop music. None of these bands were played on the alternative stations I listened to in the '90's.

Admittedly, the other bands I mentioned (Dave Matthews, Gin Blossoms, Counting Crows etc) did get airplay on alt stations back in the day. But looking back now, they're about as mainstream as it gets.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
What are Goo Goo Dolls, Wallflowers, Matchbox 20, and Creed "alternatives" to? If I'm correct, the term "alternative" is used to distinguish artists from the mainstream of pop music. None of these bands were played on the alternative stations I listened to in the '90's.

Admittedly, the other bands I mentioned (Dave Matthews, Gin Blossoms, Counting Crows etc) did get airplay on alt stations back in the day. But looking back now, they're about as mainstream as it gets.

They were crossovers. (Note: not specifically cross-dressers, except maybe the guy from creed.) Those bands were playing everywhere.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Yeah, it is pretty different today where none of the artists are in top 40 radio. If they do get in, it's pretty rare, and they hardly ever make it big.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Alternative, New Wave, are VERY broad terms. Just because something was a hit, or even from a major artist does not make it less of a fit per se.

When I lived in Hampton, VA, I used to listen to 96X (Year of the X = 1996 :p)

All the bands mentioned were played along with bands I never heard of before, or since.

Poe

Geggy Tah

Big Head Todd and the Monsters

Kula Shaker

Tracy Bonham

Just to name a few :)

Plus they played the regulars like...

No Doubt

Tori Amos

Bush

Dave Matthews Band

Sheryl Crow

Garbage

It was a very good station. I wish Lithium was more like old 96X :)

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
When I lived in Hampton, VA, I used to listen to 96X (Year of the X = 1996 :p)

All the bands mentioned were played along with bands I never heard of before, or since.

Poe

Geggy Tah

Big Head Todd and the Monsters

Kula Shaker

Tracy Bonham

Just to name a few :)

Plus they played the regulars like...

No Doubt

Tori Amos

Bush

Dave Matthews Band

Sheryl Crow

Garbage

It was a very good station. I wish Lithium was more like old 96X :)

That would work for me.
I forgot all about Geggy Tah!