Two billing questions...

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
This is gonna suck.

I HAD the idea to upgrade to BOXM when hockey and basketball season started, but how would the new music royalty fee affect that?

Suppose I upgraded for a year, then downgraded when my teams were no longer in contention (as I did last year), would I have to pay twice?

I also see there's a $5 package change fee. :mad:

It is nice being able to get hockey and basketball on Sirius (specifically, being able to look at the screen and know what the score is), but I'm starting to think it's not worth a $5 change fee AND the BOXM fee.

-------------

Second question. I'm seeing a $15 "transfer fee." I'm assuming they charged me $15 when my SL2 died and I had to move the subscription from the old SL2 to the new SL2?

I HOPE this is a mistake...is it?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Clearly they are charging for everything these days just like banks do.

The $15 transfer fee has been in place since March of 2008, so this is nothing new, you just didn't notice it. Initially when they rolled it out a lot of the CSR were not charging or would actually give a credit if asked. I have suggested to many folks that were transferring because of a faulty radio to make sure they tell them and in most cases they did waive the fee.

In regards to $5.00 to change packages... If having access to hockey and basketball is not worth $5.00 then just don't do it. I plan to add the BOS to my XM radio pretty soon and that $5.00 is no big deal to me because having access to those football games when I am on the road is worth it. What is that, one less top at Starbucks this week? I guess we all look at it differently. I wish I could refuse to pay or have services at my bank because they charge me.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Clearly they are charging for everything these days just like banks do.

The $15 transfer fee has been in place since March of 2008, so this is nothing new, you just didn't notice it. Initially when they rolled it out a lot of the CSR were not charging or would actually give a credit if asked. I have suggested to many folks that were transferring because of a faulty radio to make sure they tell them and in most cases they did waive the fee.

In regards to $5.00 to change packages... If having access to hockey and basketball is not worth $5.00 then just don't do it. I plan to add the BOS to my XM radio pretty soon and that $5.00 is no big deal to me because having access to those football games when I am on the road is worth it. What is that, one less top at Starbucks this week? I guess we all look at it differently. I wish I could refuse to pay or have services at my bank because they charge me.
I've always hajust a problem with sports on Satrad. Why can't people just access their favorite teams like we did before Satrad and save X$'s? This would free up mucho bandwidth for whatever.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I've always hajust a problem with sports on Satrad. Why can't people just access their favorite teams like we did before Satrad and save X$'s? This would free up mucho bandwidth for whatever.

Because that is one way in which Sat Radio found an audience so to speak. Why can't we just use a broadcast antenna at home and do away with cable and satellite I am sure we could find something to do with all that spectrum they use.

Sat Radio is not just a music service and I think if it were, there would be a lot less subscribers today. Though looking at the latest financial report it appears that churn is higher than ever. I think that is more related to the economy and the fact that so many of us had both services and with them pretty much mirroring each other now there is simply no need to have both!

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Because that is one way in which Sat Radio found an audience so to speak. Why can't we just use a broadcast antenna at home and do away with cable and satellite I am sure we could find something to do with all that spectrum they use.

Sat Radio is not just a music service and I think if it were, there would be a lot less subscribers today. Though looking at the latest financial report it appears that churn is higher than ever. I think that is more related to the economy and the fact that so many of us had both services and with them pretty much mirroring each other now there is simply no need to have both!

What Sirius might be able to technically do is to allow people to purchase their favorite leagues. To be able to buy favorite teams would be too much to ask.

The economy sinking combined with the merger has been one hell of a tough pill to swallow. Some people are cancelling because of the economy and others are cancelling because they were subscribing to both Sirius and XM.

Still, 18.5 million (or whatever it is) is still pretty damn good, all things considered.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.

I feel what you're saying. I'm not talking about more music content however more whatever programming could be initiated with the newly acquired bandwidth if sports programming was eliminated.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
What Sirius might be able to technically do is to allow people to purchase their favorite leagues. To be able to buy favorite teams would be too much to ask.

Still, 18.5 million (or whatever it is) is still pretty damn good, all things considered.

How would that save bandwidth as v1ru5 is suggesting? I think you are suggesting it from an economic point of view though making prices cheaper? I really don't see how even just giving a little less access cuts their cost enough to make it worth their while.

I do agree 18.5 million is not exactly shabby!

I feel what you're saying. I'm not talking about more music content however more whatever programming could be initiated with the newly acquired bandwidth if sports programming was eliminated.

To be honest, I can't think of anything they could use that bandwidth for other than improving the SQ of the music channels and I doubt it would make that much difference. The way I see it without Sports programming Sirius XM would be dead in the water! It is the only thing they really have that is worth while beyond music, which every internet music service around can offer and do music. Some of them even do it better. So without sports what separates Sirius XM and gives them an edge content wise? Talk programming, you can get most of that via Podcast? Comedy, the same thing!

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
How would that save bandwidth as v1ru5 is suggesting? I think you are suggesting it from an economic point of view though making prices cheaper? I really don't see how even just giving a little less access cuts their cost enough to make it worth their while.

I do agree 18.5 million is not exactly shabby!

To be honest, I can't think of anything they could use that bandwidth for other than improving the SQ of the music channels and I doubt it would make that much difference. The way I see it without Sports programming Sirius XM would be dead in the water! It is the only thing they really have that is worth while beyond music, which every internet music service around can offer and do music. Some of them even do it better. So without sports what separates Sirius XM and gives them an edge content wise? Talk programming, you can get most of that via Podcast? Comedy, the same thing!

Yeah, being able to select individual teams/leagues probably wouldn't save Sirius any bandwidth, but it might be able to save the customer a few extra bucks a month.

Saving money per radio might just lead to a few more additional subscriptions.

I agree that the Sports/Talk/News stuff is where SiriusXM is the king. They still need to get a few cards in order (fire Oprah and Martha, give Bubba a proper contract, and do some PR work), but anyone can get uncensored music from wherever. They can't do the same with O&A, Jason, Howard, etc.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Yeah, being able to select individual teams/leagues probably wouldn't save Sirius any bandwidth, but it might be able to save the customer a few extra bucks a month.

Saving money per radio might just lead to a few more additional subscriptions.

I agree that the Sports/Talk/News stuff is where SiriusXM is the king. They still need to get a few cards in order (fire Oprah and Martha, give Bubba a proper contract, and do some PR work), but anyone can get uncensored music from wherever. They can't do the same with O&A, Jason, Howard, etc.
Definetly get rid of Oprah and Martha, I forgot Martha even had a channel and are the traffic channels really necessary? With the elimination of some of those channels some of our favorite channels that were eliminated could return.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Definetly get rid of Oprah and Martha, I forgot Martha even had a channel and are the traffic channels really necessary? With the elimination of some of those channels some of our favorite channels that were eliminated could return.

I would agree that Martha and Oprah I don't think have ever really gotten much traction via Sat Radio. I don't use the weather/traffic channels either, but I think those are part of their weather traffic service that they offer, so I would not expect to see them go away. There is no doubt that they could reduce bandwidth if they really wanted too by cutting some of these channels.

I'd personally like to see them improve SQ myself because when you really compare sat radio to other mediums you really find out how really low the quality is. So, taking those channels away and adding more content is not the way to go. Taking those channels and using the bandwidth overall for the music channels would be a step in the right direction. However, in all fairness if you took all those weather/traffic channels, Martha and Oprah you probably still wouldn't have enough bandwidth for one good music channel. Just a guess on my part!

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
I would agree that Martha and Oprah I don't think have ever really gotten much traction via Sat Radio. I don't use the weather/traffic channels either, but I think those are part of their weather traffic service that they offer, so I would not expect to see them go away. There is no doubt that they could reduce bandwidth if they really wanted too by cutting some of these channels.

I'd personally like to see them improve SQ myself because when you really compare sat radio to other mediums you really find out how really low the quality is. So, taking those channels away and adding more content is not the way to go. Taking those channels and using the bandwidth overall for the music channels would be a step in the right direction. However, in all fairness if you took all those weather/traffic channels, Martha and Oprah you probably still wouldn't have enough bandwidth for one good music channel. Just a guess on my part!
I'm sure that as most people are getting ready for work they are listening to the News to find out what the weather is and after hearing the weather pretty much don't think about it any more. As far as traffic goes I listen to it but unless a bridge fell some where, the traffic in my area is pretty much the same everyday. Now should I need to get a traffic or weather report I would tune to my local news station because the traffic and weather channels on Sirius/XM sound like they are robots with nasal problems.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I because the traffic and weather channels on Sirius/XM sound like they are robots with nasal problems.

Exactly and you've just made my point the bandwidth these channels use is so low that even removing them you'd not really accomplish much of anything. In fact you'd probably not even notice it across the service.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Exactly and you've just made my point the bandwidth these channels use is so low that even removing them you'd not really accomplish much of anything. In fact you'd probably not even notice it across the service.
I think were on the same page but I said it wrong.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008

I wonder if they could consolidate Oprah and Martha into a "women's channel?" If not, dump the whole bunch of them.

As for the traffic channels, those don't take up a lot of space. If those were dumped, there probably wouldn't be enough free space.

What they could do more easily is add the extra music channels online. I do wonder if that would raise the music royalty fee. (More music played = more fees?)

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
I just received my billing notice for renewal of my yearly main sub (two other subs are on a yearly billing due in 6mos) and was surprised how much it went up. They are still giving the free month ($142 and change for a year) but added the royalty fee (nearly $22), bringing the monthly total to nearly $14 a month.

The total for three radios is $32 a month - over 3 full album downloads a month.

The other way to view it is one less meal at a decent restaurant per month.

Will probably switch to monthly on the main and dump 'em all in 6 months unless my usage really increases.

Looking forward to the auto wifi/cellular technology:

Chrysler's New WiFi Auto - Daily Brief - Portfolio.com

Looks like it really isn't that far away. SiriusXM will have an uphill battle if they can provide this solution in a plug-and-play module that can be used in multiple cars, keeping the monthly bill in range with having multiple siriusXM radios. More varied music content over the web since the merger.