Tunemix, Tunescan, Etc.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Eek!

I got a pretty good deal on an Onyx Plus, so I bit. I thought it came with the customized music channels, such as what my phone has.

Boy, was I wrong.

TuneScan seems to be like a "scan" like what the FM radios had...didn't like what you're listening to and this jumps between presets.

But what the heck is TuneMix?

And it appears that I can't customize a single music channel like I can on my phone? Say, I don't want live songs...or I want a heavy selection of older stuff... I can do that on my phone... can I do that on the Onyx?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Hey @HecticArt ... any tips?

Could I get a home kit and connect that to my SubX1? The radio and SubX1 aren't compatible...it just won't fit. But... I remember that I sawed off the sides of my SL100 car dock to accommodate my SL2. Could I do the same to the back piece in the SUBX1 to force the Onyx to fit?

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I'm not sure about the SubX1. Never used one before.
I did shave the fins off of my old SL100 docks to use my SL2. It worked just fine.
Not knowing about the SubX1, I couldn't be sure if there are any variations that could damage your radio.

TuneMix is a feature that will shuffle songs between your preset stations. It's a bit like the old SuperShuffle station but with your stations. I used to use it, and don't really know why I don't any more.

I haven't used an Onyx either, but I don't thank you can customize stations like you can on the app.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
"Upon further review..."

It does not have a way to custom mix the channels. :(

It does have a feature that allows playing a song fron the start...but if I change the channel and change back, it begins where it it happens to be at a random part of the song.

TuneMix is an interesting feature, especially if one were to put talk/sport channels on those presets.

I still haven't found a way to directly enter a channel number.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I just "found" a new feature!

Drive to work and listen to one channel.
Pull into garage and have very spotty service, right? WRONG! I change to another channel and can back that channel up several minutes and the service doesn't go out as I drive around the garage to find a spot.

:)

Reactions: HecticArt

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
SiriusXM has a new 2.0 radio with the Xtra channels and tunemix.

The OnyxEZR

View attachment 3703

Nice!

This was mentioned to me on Twitter a few months ago. I thought it was still a while off.

In the meantime, my car died on 10/31, I've been using loaners from friends and I'm too lazy to rig up my Onyx Plus.

I've been relegated to app-only until I get a new car and I've been strongly tempted to only use the built-in feature in the newer car.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Edit.

DANGIT!

I was once again thinking of MySXM on a portable unit. Sirius teased to me that such a thing isn't entirely out of the realm of possibilities.

But yeah... I realize that the car may not get all the stations, but I don't think I'd be missing anything I would need. (It infuriated the punk fans when Faction moved to the 300s, as a number of OEM car radios don't get those channels.)

I'd be interested to see how it works with the sports PbP. I'd imagine the older radios still have the "regular programming interrupted" happening.

FWIW, it'll be probably a 2012-2014 model car.