Try XM or keep Sirius with new hardware setup

litterbox

Feb 4, 2009
Ohio
All,
I currently have Sirius on my pioneer p4000u head unit connected via IP bus cable to the CD-SB10 and the SCC1 Sirius unit. I have issues where sometimes it will just shut down the entire system and have to power back up. It is really annoying and have to power the radio back on. I know some might say, just turn it back on, but it shouldn't do it in the first place. I have checked all connections and have the ip bus cable in correctly. (black to black and blue to blue). I have the translator (cd-sb10) connected to a constant 12v source. It is the same one that the radio memory is connected to. My only course of action is to order a new IP bus cable and try that or go with the pioneer 920xm XM unit. What I have heard, this unit is rock solid with no connection issues. My main questions are: will there be a difference in sound quality and will the reception be comparable with what I was getting with Sirius. I have had no problems getting Sirius signal, btw. Any and all responses from the "in the know" people :) would be greatly appreciated.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
As a general rule, XM's signal and repeater coverage has always been stronger than Sirius'.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
All,
I currently have Sirius on my pioneer p4000u head unit connected via IP bus cable to the CD-SB10 and the SCC1 Sirius unit. I have issues where sometimes it will just shut down the entire system and have to power back up. It is really annoying and have to power the radio back on. I know some might say, just turn it back on, but it shouldn't do it in the first place. I have checked all connections and have the ip bus cable in correctly. (black to black and blue to blue). I have the translator (cd-sb10) connected to a constant 12v source. It is the same one that the radio memory is connected to. My only course of action is to order a new IP bus cable and try that or go with the pioneer 920xm XM unit. What I have heard, this unit is rock solid with no connection issues. My main questions are: will there be a difference in sound quality and will the reception be comparable with what I was getting with Sirius. I have had no problems getting Sirius signal, btw. Any and all responses from the "in the know" people :) would be greatly appreciated.

I am afraid most of what you said went right over my head but I can answer a couple of questions:

1) There will be a slight SQ difference. Whether it is better or worse or indifferent is subjective to your own ears. Sirius has more bass while XM has more treble. Some think XM sounds like a tin can while others think Sirius sounds muddled. Personally, I like the Sirius sound better but I don't think XM sounds bad.

2) XM sats are in the S. If you have a S, SE, or SW window you should get XM just fine. Sirius works if your window points toward North Dakota and now to the South as well with their new sat. XM has more repeaters but its hard to know if there are any in your specific area.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I've compared both SIRIUS and XM feeds. To me, SIRIUS sounds noticeably better.

As IRBS said, entirely subjective to your own ears.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
How the hell can anyone know what all those part numbers are for?

litterbox

Feb 4, 2009
Ohio
How the hell can anyone know what all those part numbers are for?

That's why I put for people in the know. If I didn't, I would of got responses like this one. I can provide pics if requested. Rather simple really, either the Pioneer XM unit or the Sirius Connect equipment for Pioneer.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
That's why I put for people in the know. If I didn't, I would of got responses like this one. I can provide pics if requested. Rather simple really, either the Pioneer XM unit or the Sirius Connect equipment for Pioneer.

Good luck getting a response being all smug like that. :scratch:

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
I don't understand why your radio would be turning off, but I know what all the parts are your talking about. I have a cdsb10 and scvdoc1, and an xm pioneer tuner. I would suspect that you have a loose ground connection causing your radio to turn off. I'd check that first. Maybe try grounding somewhere else. As far as sound and reception, as stated sound is pretty subjective, and I don't notice a lot of difference. I usually find car reception to be a little better with Sirius. The sats are at a lower angle, and are moving, so they work more at drive through s, and near buildings and such.

litterbox

Feb 4, 2009
Ohio
I don't understand why your radio would be turning off, but I know what all the parts are your talking about. I have a cdsb10 and scvdoc1, and an xm pioneer tuner. I would suspect that you have a loose ground connection causing your radio to turn off. I'd check that first. Maybe try grounding somewhere else. As far as sound and reception, as stated sound is pretty subjective, and I don't notice a lot of difference. I usually find car reception to be a little better with Sirius. The sats are at a lower angle, and are moving, so they work more at drive through s, and near buildings and such.

Thank you no1hedberg,
I checked all connections. I swapped out ip-bus cables, changed grounding planes, and so on. I went ahead and made the switch to the 920XM unit. It is the best move now that I compare the two. It has worked perfect for me. I get the same reception as I did with Sirius (no drop outs) and it does seem to me to sound a little better. Again, this is subjective to my ears. Maybe I just had a bad unit, but other reviews that I found have had similar issues to mine. Again, thanks for your intelligent insight to this problem.