Transmitter/Reciever antenna question

gotfrag

Jul 22, 2009
I am pretty sure this is the right place to post a question like this.

I have a reciever+transmitter that will only transmit 30ft. If I were to swap the antenna out for a stronger one I know this would help the range. But, I was wondering if this next part was true.

If I passed about 2v through the antenna with some soldering would this help the range too.

gotfrag

Jul 22, 2009

This is a direct quote from the guy. The bottom part has the adding 2v idea. Maybe its not just adding 2v, but doing more too.

"there is a solution...if you know enough about electronics. It can be extended by 15-22 feet by using a scorpion power amplifying IC chip, a 10k ohm resistor, and an antenna from the linksys USB WRT54GS. Open the controller for use in steps ahead. solder on a wire to the antenna to lengthen it. I used 30 gauge since the plug and charge slot is right where the wire has fit and still allow the controller to close. Basically either just run the antenna and solder it to long metal bar just above charge spot, that's the RF receiver/transmitter. Once thats done hot glue the antenna somewhere on the back under side of the controller for convenience. If you still need longer range. Get the chip and solder the resistor to the far left bottom hole in the board. It's where there's 3 gold rings. Far left is DIRECT power supply hence needing the resistor at that point, as it turns the scorpion chip from 10V to 3V there by allowing enough juice to boost, but without expending your battery in like 2 hours. Run positive from board...gold ring...to pin 1 on the chip, so it gets positive polarity...and then run the negative wire from the board to the antenna. Then add another wire from where you soldered the negative to the antenna and it goes to pin 4 and 8. Circuit is complete and adding 3V more boost without DIRECTLY Overboosting the PCB board and frying your controller. BTW negative is reversed on matrix style boards...but those are almost completely impossible to get a hold of because they're not made anymore as they were the first PCB design by microsoft at launch time. Wiring is same for all other wireless controllers PCB types. Hope this helps. Extended my range 37 feet. BTW, you're welcome."

gotfrag

Jul 22, 2009
sweet

kk, where do I get this scorpion power amplify IC chip? What does it do? From, what I know IC chips amplify voltage or current, how is that helping?

Thanks

gotfrag

Jul 22, 2009
kk, I know that if you make the signal to strong the xbox360 will not accept the signal. So, if I added two antennas one that just works short range 50ft. Then, I had a switch to turn that one off and turn another one on that could go way farther, like 100ft. If I turned both of those on at the same time would that increase the signal even farther or would it just be two antennas both sending a signal out?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
kk, I know that if you make the signal to strong the xbox360 will not accept the signal. So, if I added two antennas one that just works short range 50ft. Then, I had a switch to turn that one off and turn another one on that could go way farther, like 100ft. If I turned both of those on at the same time would that increase the signal even farther or would it just be two antennas both sending a signal out?

I dunno. My guess is it might confuse the receiver.

What are you trying to do?

gotfrag

Jul 22, 2009
If the xbox360 controller strengthth is to strong the xbox360 won't accept it. So, I am making a short range antenna and a long range antenna. Then, when I am not that far away I can turn on the short range antenna. If I am farther you can go long range. I was wondering if I was super far away could I turn on both of the antennas for a huge range. I am doing this so, I can use a xbox360 controller from a longer distance. The 30ft range isn't enough for me.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Like I said, I think turning on both will confuse the receiver. You'll get interference between the two signals, which will cancel in places and boost in others. Variable amplification might work, but doing anything inside an Xbox controller will be difficult. Good luck.

gotfrag

Jul 22, 2009
oh, so I could create a little switch that will allow more voltage to pass through to the antenna? This then would create a longer range.

Is this what you are saying? If so, how could this be done?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
oh, so I could create a little switch that will allow more voltage to pass through to the antenna? This then would create a longer range.

Is this what you are saying? If so, how could this be done?

I'd use a knob instead of a switch. First, learn a lot about electronics. Then design and build it.

gotfrag

Jul 22, 2009
lol, I don't have time to learn a lot of about electronics. I am quessing there is stuff at radioshack that you can get that will let change the voltage of the current being passed through with a volume knob thing.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
lol, I don't have time to learn a lot of about electronics. I am quessing there is stuff at radioshack that you can get that will let change the voltage of the current being passed through with a volume knob thing.

No, there is nothing at Radio Shack that will let you boost the signal from an Xbox controller. This is an advanced electronic modification.

Holy cow!
I gotta ask, how big does a TV have to be that your more than 30' away when playing games on it?

I bet he wants a single Xbox wired to multiple TVs.

It will be easier to just buy multiple Xboxes, although Microsoft makes it hard for them to share game data.

gotfrag

Jul 22, 2009
Thanks

kk, well thanks for all the help. I will look up how to build one of these things