Tony Stewart Owner/Driver

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
Ok so we have so many posts on Kyle/Jr, it is time for something different and worthy of being talked about....

I will start it out.

Who would have ever imagined Tony would be doing this good this early in the season?? I knew Tony would survive it and do well but I didn't think he would be a threat this early on... Good for the him..

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Ok so we have so many posts on Kyle/Jr, it is time for something different and worthy of being talked about....

I will start it out.

Who would have ever imagined Tony would be doing this good this early in the season?? I knew Tony would survive it and do well but I didn't think he would be a threat this early on... Good for the him..

I didn't think he'd be doing this well either. Usually a new team takes some time to get into a groove. I had figured both He and Ryan would be well within the top 35 and posting some top 10s this year but wow. Good for them they're doing great.
He's surrounded himself with great people and partnered with Hendrick so I guess we shouldn't be too surprised. But a win before the halfway point of the season? I figured it would take until next year.
Its been fun to watch.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Best Hendrick team out there!

Seriously though, I never thought that he'd be that good the first year. I certainly underestimated him. I hope he keeps it up. Heck, Newman in fourth! That's great as well.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
It's no surprise, really. Tony's teams are HMS Cars 5 and 6. Doesn't matter what anyone says. It's no different than when Ginn had two and three cars, except this drivers didn't have the talent of Tony or Ryan until Mark Martin went to drive for him.

Remember when Jeff Gordon said that he told Rick Hendrick that if he puts Tony it the same equipment, he'd beat him. Again, no surprises.

I'm not a Tony fan, and I'm mildly amused by him. He was the definition of immature and a punk when he first came into the sport. Fighting with Jeff Gordon, Robby Gordon and Kenny Irwin Jr. He pushed a photographer and a fan in between the haulers at Bristol (that lead to NASCAR not letting fans into the garage anymore).

I'm happy he helps out others and does some much for the NASCAR Community. The Victory Junction Gang Camp can thank him for all that he's done :)

I just can't help but laugh every time I think of him saying that if it wasn't for racing, he'd be flipping burgers. Somewhere out there, there's a Dairy Queen uniform with his name on it :D

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
In a pre race interview yesterday on Sirius Tony doesn't hide the fact that he is where he is because of HMS. I still think its quite the feat, you're right though the drivers have a lot to do with it as do thier crew chiefs.

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
I was never a big fan of Tony myself he was too arrogant and such but I have really taken to him the past few years. Let's face it the guy can drive whatever he gets into... And his mood and all has so changed this year...

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I was never a big fan of Tony myself he was too arrogant and such but I have really taken to him the past few years. Let's face it the guy can drive whatever he gets into... And his mood and all has so changed this year...

I agree, his mood has changed, and he can race. The guy is a talent :)

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
partnered with Hendrick so I guess we shouldn't be too surprised.

Bingo. ;) I knew he'd win races, but didn't think about him leading the points.

k9feces

Oct 20, 2008
Not surprising that a two time champion and one of the greatest drivers in history is doing well in good equipment. He is only an Owner/driver because the team was given to him.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Not surprising that a two time champion and one of the greatest drivers in history is doing well in good equipment. He is only an Owner/driver because the team was given to him.

It also doesn't hurt that Chevrolet wanted Tony back in a bowtie. They must have paid big money for him to be released from his contract from Joe Gibbs and to Haas to give him half the team :shock:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
It also doesn't hurt that Chevrolet wanted Tony back in a bowtie. They must have paid big money for him to be released from his contract from Joe Gibbs and to Haas to give him half the team

Yes. Chevy paid the devil with this one. Hey! Maybe that's what happened to GM! :scratch: They figured Tony was too big to fail. :rolleyes:

I bet Tony's glad he got that deal before all hell broke loose in the auto industry.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I think the point being that Tony wouldn't be an OWNER if it wasn't handed to him. Great for Tony....I'd take that deal if I were him. I don't have a problem with it.

9FNZ

Oct 18, 2008
I think the point being that Tony wouldn't be an OWNER if it wasn't handed to him. Great for Tony....I'd take that deal if I were him. I don't have a problem with it.

I don't believe any of "YOU" know the inner workings of the so called "DEAL" Tony got, so for any of you to come on here claiming he was "given" something is a bit ludicrous. If you think Tony hasn't sunk a bunch of his "own" money into this thing to get it off the ground and running is crazy. I'm not a huge Tony fan either but come on people, you have no idea of the inner workings.

PS. Sorry mghtx, i quoted the wrong post. My Bad meant to quote K9.

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
Was Tony given 50% of this team, Yes he has said it himself... Has he sunk a lot of money into this team now that he is part owner, no freakin doubt he has....

Tony is awesome at what he does and he has proven it over and over again and is still proving just how great he is...

9FNZ

Oct 18, 2008
Was Tony given 50% of this team, Yes he has said it himself... Has he sunk a lot of money into this team now that he is part owner, no freakin doubt he has....

Tony is awesome at what he does and he has proven it over and over again and is still proving just how great he is...

Actually i believe it's 51% (controlling interest), but it was "given" to him in lieu of a driving contract. Some of you are acting like he did nothing to deserve it as if he was just such a GREAT guy they said here Tony here's a gift, 51% of race team.... (have a nice day) Come on...

Last edited:

k9feces

Oct 20, 2008
I am saying that the deal was too good to refuse, and he might not have used any of his own money at all.

Tony is too smart to use his own money to get a team started.

9FNZ

Oct 18, 2008
I am saying that the deal was too good to refuse, and he might not have used any of his own money at all.

Tony is too smart to use his own money to get a team started.

Let's see here... Tony has built 2 Woo teams from the ground up and they run up front regularly, he also has i believe 3 USAC Teams, Silver Crown, Sprint, Midgets and i believe they run up front regularly. I don't think Tony is above spending his own money to WIN that's all he cares about, you can see it in his passion for it. If it took or was gonna take draggin a few "zero's" out of his pocket i'd bet the farm he'd just ask how many "zero's" and that would be it.