TMD's - Ranking the Short Tracks Discussion - Which is your favorite?

Which is your favorite short track?

• Bristol

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Martinsville

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Richmond

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
The discussion started with D. Poole this morning and was initiated because of this article by Bob Pockgrass.

Bob Pockrass: Ranking the short tracks

Choose you favorite but explain why. Have you been to the track? Put the three in the order and don't flame everyone for their opinion.

I've been to each of these track multiple times and will be @ Bristol again this weekend.

This is my order although my top two are pretty well tied......

Richmond - I think that the racing is the best here of the three short tracks. Good side by side racing at this track. Parking is free and very close to the track. Great place to party for the 12 hours leading up to either race.

Martinsville - Slower by far but the racing is great here too. Great side by side racing here. Seats feel like you are right on top of the track. Victory lane celebration @ the start/finish line give it that old time feel. Parking free and close to the track.

Bristol - Certainly a great event and a must for everyone to see but on my list they come out third. Although they are getting more options now that the track has been repaved it is still pretty much bump and run. Most of the parking here that I have seen will cost you. I park on the other side of the drag strip from the track for free but it is a long hike back to the car. I've only been to the spring race but I'll be there this fall. I've always wanted to go to that fall race just once and that will be it.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I know that if I had a chance to go to any of the three, I'd want to go to Martinsville over the other two. If I can manage to afford it later this year, I'm going to try and go to the Fall race...:)

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Martinsville's the only race I've been to, so I'd have to say Bristol, with Richmond being a very distant 3rd.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I know that if I had a chance to go to any of the three, I'd want to go to Martinsville over the other two. If I can manage to afford it later this year, I'm going to try and go to the Fall race...:)

The fall chase race @ Martinsville is great! I am still trying to talk the wife into that one later this year. The only problem is that it interferes with the High School football season. We already decided that we are going back to season tickets at Martinsville next year.

erock9174

Mar 17, 2009
I've never been to a live Nascar race. I did however race Radio Control Oval cars for about 10 years. My home track was a banked track layed out similar to Bristol.
So there is a soft spot for the banked tracks.

Martinsville is a pure momentum track. When somebody is trailing and trying to make a run I catch myself leaning towards the other end of the couch for them. Hoping they gain an inch. haha

I prefer the short tracks as a TV spectator.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I'd still give a VERY slight lead to Bristol. But Richmond is catching up quick.

All three are fantastic and should NEVER, EVER lose a race.

I've only been to Bristol and that was in the early '90's for a Busch race.

Raceimages

Nov 17, 2008
Fairfield, CA
www.raceimages.net
I have been to all 3 (4 if you count the old fairgrounds layout at Richmond) and would rank them this way

Richmond- you can pass there without knocking someone the heck out of the way

Martinsville- I just like the feel of the place

Bristol- for me it's the most overrated experience on the series. Only time I have enjoyed myself at a race there was when they put dirt on it and ran late models and the WoO sprints.

Bookworm

Oct 12, 2008
Charlotte, NC
The re-configuration of Bristol has ruined the racing there as far as I'm concerned. The whole point of short tracks is to "beat and bang" on each other and now they have too many options to make a pass. I started watching todays race and after about ten minutes I picked up a book and read the whole thing. Didn't miss the race a bit. :(

CanuckFan420

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Well the only short track I've been to was Bristol as I live all the way out in Vancouver, Canada, but it was my very first race in August of 2006. Have to say I loved it! Richmond would be my 2nd and Martinsville 3rd from what I'm able to surmise from watching the races on TV.

That first time seeing Bristol as you come around the corner and there's this massive arena there was absolutely breath taking. I'll never forget it. I just think it's so cool that it's now COMPLETELY surrounded by seats and is literally like the Roman Colisseum. I am a bit upset how the race runs now that it's been repaved. Not enough beating and banging on each other. Heck I'm not even sure anybody was mad at anybody else after Sunday's race. That's a bad sign. Maybe they'll put it back one day.