TMD's All Star Race Discussion

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Thoughts on the fan vote?

It's simply a way for the fan to feel like they are more involved. I don't think that it is anything more than that. The teams that are already in the race are the ones that deserve to be there. I know that the fan vote won last year but did he really deserve to be in the race more than the other drivers in the qualifying race? I don't think so.

Thoughts on the pit crew helping dictate the winner of the race?

David Poole doesn't like to see the pit stop help determine the winner of the race. I don't understand that at all. The pit crew is a huge part of the total team & certainly should play a role the outcome.

KSfarmgirl

Nov 6, 2008
To be honest the whole thing has really lost its luster. It seems like just another race anymore. They try to keep 'fixing' it, but nothing really seems to work.

I still watch, but don't get excited about it anymore.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
This is one of those time when I just turn the channel and go listen to something else. I really don't care to debate the merits of a fan vote for the All-Star Race. Until you put up $70M/yr to sponsor the series and the All-Star Race, then we really have no say...:)

jC...

Oct 14, 2008
Run Qualifying heats at the Dirt Track on Friday night.
Run a 50 lapper on the 1/4 mile! Invert Field.
Run a 25 lap race on the 1/4 mile with the crew cheifs driving.
Run a 25 lap sprint on the 1 1/2.
Then do a WWF Royal Rumble style demolition derby on the front stretch. The cars who finished last start off and then every minute there after another drivers joins in until the last car is running!;)

Sounds like fun but it will never happen.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
They try to keep 'fixing' it

Yeah, and that's what makes me chuckle.

I really don't know what to think with this deal. I try to watch it if I can. But it doesn't matter....except maybe to be used as a test session. If I were a driver/team/owner that's how I would use it...as a test session.

But I like the fan vote. Hell, it's one of the few times nascar seems to listen to the fans anyway. :rolleyes:

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Run Qualifying heats at the Dirt Track on Friday night.
Run a 50 lapper on the 1/4 mile! Invert Field.
Run a 25 lap race on the 1/4 mile with the crew cheifs driving.
Run a 25 lap sprint on the 1 1/2.
Then do a WWF Royal Rumble style demolition derby on the front stretch. The cars who finished last start off and then every minute there after another drivers joins in until the last car is running!;)

Sounds like fun but it will never happen.

Couldn't you find a way to incorporate the zMAX Dragway? :rolleyes:

MichaelC

Oct 14, 2008
I always liked the elimination style they did for a few years. I've lost interest in these non-points events (the Shootout & All-Star races) over the last several years. Like there was with the Shootout in February, when over half of what would be in a normal race get to race, it's really not an all-star race. I know they hype it on TV how everyone's going to let it all hang loose because of the 1st place money....but, can anyone recall the last time one of these non-points races has been a nail-biter?

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
the year Jeff Gordon ran out of gas going into turn one on the last lap and Mark Martin won the race.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
Double file restarts all night long. Long overdue. Now, let's get that in effect for all other races.

MichaelC

Oct 14, 2008
Here's what they announced as the format:

Segment 1: 50 laps with a mandatory green-flag pit stop on Lap 25 at which time teams must pit and take on four tires. Following the end of Segment 1, the caution flag will be displayed for an optional pit stop.

Segment 2: 20 laps with the caution flag displayed at the end of Segment 2 for an optional pit stop.

Segment 3: 20 laps with a 10-minute break at the end of Segment 3. Teams may make normal adjustments to their cars during this break. The finishing order after the third segment determines the final starting positions for the fourth and final segment.

Segment 4: 10-lap shootout with only green-flag laps counting.

Last year it was 4 equal segments of 25 laps, totalling 100 laps.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I've never understood since they implemented the 'free pass' rule why they don't have the double file restarts. For the most part, the lapped car rarely gets the lap back. I'd rather they be in the rear and that way everyone is still racing for position from first to last. The only issue that I can see is when cars stay out under caution to get their lap back and start in front of the leader. I haven't solved that problem yet but I'll make sure that I let everyone know when I do. LOL

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
I've never understood since they implemented the 'free pass' rule why they don't have the double file restarts. For the most part, the lapped car rarely gets the lap back. I'd rather they be in the rear and that way everyone is still racing for position from first to last. The only issue that I can see is when cars stay out under caution to get their lap back and start in front of the leader. I haven't solved that problem yet but I'll make sure that I let everyone know when I do. LOL

The free pass came about after NASCAR stopped allowing driver to race back to the yellow flag. I think it was at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, back in 2003. Dale Jarrett had spun out coming out of turn four and was sitting sideways, driver side door, to oncoming traffic. It was after that race that NASCAR changed the rule.

A race or two before that, Robbie Gordon passed Kevin Harvick, coming to the yellow at Infineon Raceway. Harvick said the driver had a "Gentleman's Agreement" not to pass for the lead coming to the yellow...:rolleyes:

Anywho, the leader of the race always had the option of letting the lap down cars pass him (or her) before coming to the yellow flag. I've seen as many as three or four cars pass the leader before they came to the start/finish line to take the yellow flag.

Most of the time it was the leader letting a teammate get back on the lead lap, but sometimes the lap down car would come back and win the race. Usually the leader would have to slow way down to let the lap down cars back on the lead lap...:shock:

I think it was that same year, at LVMS, that Jeff Gordon actually raced the lap down cars back to the yellow, so as not to let them back on the lead lap. NASCAR got so confused by this, because it wasn't usual for the leader to do this, that they actually put those lap down car back on the lead lap anyway. A day or so, NASCAR apologized for doing that, saying that they were wrong and that they should not have put those lap down cars in front of the leader when they did their scoring.

That was only one of a few times that I've ever heard NASCAR actually apologize for making a mistake...:right:

So that's how the free pass came about...:)