Start and Park? Which teams parked their cars early @ Pocono (or seemed to):
43rd: #64-MWallace [was black flagged for not having a pit crew]
42nd: #37-Raines
41st: #71-Gilliland
40th: #66-Blaney
39th: #87-Nemechek
38th: #09-Marlin
37th: #36-Carpentier

Does it make more sense to just reduce the field size? :confused: I have to be honest. While I'm a fan of some of these drivers mentioned here, I probably would have never noticed if they were at the race yesterday or not. Would it hurt the racing if the field was reduced by six or so? I don't think it would. :no:

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
If you reduse the field, you're still going to have start & parks, maybe not as many.
Posted via Mobile Device

True, but at the same time, possibly increase the payout for legitimate teams. Once you get past the top 35, there's only one team that even has a top 10 through the first 21 races. The only exception is Brad Keselowski in 40th position with 3 top tens in only 7 races.

Most of us probably never even notice that these guys are even there. I know I wouldn't unless it is pointed out to me or I've read about it somewhere. It just seems to me that it's a waste to have these positions filled just for the sake of having the car count @ 43.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Shoot, at huge places like Pocono, they could increase the number of cars on the field.

Couple that with the new restart and take away about 150 laps and Pocono just MIGHT start to be an ok race. :p

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I didn't catch who it was on TMD this morning but they mentioned that it should be the Pocono 500K. That would be a much better race. Roughly 310 miles. Add some urgency to that race. Pocono got much better with around 50 to go.

As far as the start & park goes and being a fan of the on track racing. What do they possibly add to the race by them being there? Nothing.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I didn't catch who it was on TMD this morning but they mentioned that it should be the Pocono 500K. That would be a much better race. Roughly 310 miles. Add some urgency to that race. Pocono got much better with around 50 to go.

It was Lee Montgomery from NASCAR Scene Daily :)

There is nothing wrong with lowering the miles run to 400mi at Pocono, Auto Club, Atlanta, Lowe's (except the 600), Texas. Shorter races means you get home sooner.

Las Vegas, Michigan, Dayton all have 400mi races and they work out great :D

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
There is nothing wrong with lowering the miles run to 400mi at Pocono, Auto Club, Atlanta, Lowe's (except the 600), Texas. Shorter races means you get home sooner.

I like the long races when I am at the track, just not at home. I could care less what time I get home from the race. This is coming from a guy that attended the 500 mile race at Dover for several years and loved every minute of it. I got it bad. LOL

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Pocono got much better with around 50 to go.

Just about every big track comes down to that. That's what you hear and read after those races..."those last 25 laps were good".

This is coming from a guy that attended the 500 mile race at Dover for several years and loved every minute of it.

I love Dover! Dover doesn't bore me like some tracks. I sure would love to go there too.

Raceimages

Nov 17, 2008
Fairfield, CA
www.raceimages.net
Why reduce the field now? Make the cut back to 36 and then what do you do when the economy picks back up and there are more fully funded teams? Raise it back to 43? That sends a great message, either have a big sponsor on your car or we don't want you.

BobBski

Nov 30, 2008
Buckeye Lake, Ohio
Start and park doesn't affect me in any way when watching a race. I'd hate to see them get cut out...they're trying to get in to the regulars. Cutting them out would make us look like uppity folks at Private golf courses...gotta live at such and such and have such and such to be able to play. Start n Park doesn't hurt anyone...but, helps a few.:yesshake:

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I don't understand how having teams come to the track to turn in a couple of laps and leave is a good thing but I'll agree to disagree with you all. :peace:

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Start and park doesn't affect me in any way when watching a race. I'd hate to see them get cut out...they're trying to get in to the regulars. Cutting them out would make us look like uppity folks at Private golf courses...gotta live at such and such and have such and such to be able to play. Start n Park doesn't hurt anyone...but, helps a few.

Excellent post!

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I don't understand how having teams come to the track to turn in a couple of laps and leave is a good thing but I'll agree to disagree with you all. :peace:

Test sessions :)

I know some of those multi car teams have brought in extra cars to the track just so they can basically test during a race. This was before the car limit, and most of the teams were only one or two car teams.