The Zicam issue...

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Robin spoke about this today, but not nearly enough...

Here's what I've know. I used a whole container of the product many years ago. It was a "nasal gel", which I didn't like using, but it was during the whole "zinc lessens the severity of the common cold" period.

Shortly after, I remember reading about a class-action suit involving 100+ litigants claiming the product caused them to lose their sense of smell. I think I read about this in Consumer Reports magazine. I remember telling my friends about it (so many people were using the product).

Here it is, years later. And there is absolutely a problem with Zicam. I think it's because of the Zinc in it.

And DePace is running out to buy 20 of them ;) before they take it off the shelves. He says he loves it.

SENSES?!?! Who needs THOSE?! It's important to know that if your sense of smell is affected, so is your sense of taste. And what I've read (years ago) the loss of the sense of smell it's caused is permanent and irreversible, hence the lawsuit.

:eek:

sjb4

Oct 12, 2008
I hate sticking things in my nose. I, too, see the benefit of zinc for colds. I've had great results using a zinc lozenge - Cold-Eeze. Been using them for years now with no side affects.

I wonder if the loss of smell has caused anyone to lose weight since things don't taste as good anymore? That might not be so bad for some people.

Spokker

Jan 15, 2009
Product placement. Can't live with it, can't burn down all corporations.
I hate sticking things in my nose. I, too, see the benefit of zinc for colds. I've had great results using a zinc lozenge - Cold-Eeze. Been using them for years now with no side affects.
No side effects because it doesn't cause any effects. That stuff doesn't do anything and you're wasting your money.

volfan1

Oct 13, 2008
I'm lucky. I used the nasal gel several years ago & temporarily lost my sense of smell. It was really weird. Everything smelled like burnt chocolate chip cookies. It took months to come back, and I was scared I would lose it for good. It's still not back to where it was before I took it, and I don't know if it will ever be where it was before.

k9feces

Oct 20, 2008
How do you get in on the lawsuit?, my uncle has been complaining that he can't smell and he is a Zicam user. Is there a way to prove that you lost sense of smell?

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
I'm lucky. I used the nasal gel several years ago & temporarily lost my sense of smell. It was really weird. Everything smelled like burnt chocolate chip cookies. It took months to come back, and I was scared I would lose it for good. It's still not back to where it was before I took it, and I don't know if it will ever be where it was before.

You're lucky! When I first read about the potential problem, I remember some people saying that normal things smelled like burning rubber. Others had no sense of smell period, which is dangerous. They can't smell gas leaks, or if their house is on fire, for example.

I lost my sense of smell using Zicam, (at the time, I thought it was odd that I had little sense of smell even though my cold ran its course... but I didn't link the condition to the Zicam). Luckily I only used it for a short time and eventually my sense of smell returned. Soon thereafter I read about that class-action suit and I then put two and two together.

Also, I would AVOID the zinc lozenges. While I don't know if there are any reported problems with long-term use, I do know from personal experience that it lessens and skews my sense of taste. Even though it's temporary, it seems that zinc is a problem, and things don't look so good in that regard. AND if you're using lozenges, I think some of the zinc will migrate into the nasal passages... especially when you have a cold.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
How do you get in on the lawsuit?, my uncle has been complaining that he can't smell and he is a Zicam user. Is there a way to prove that you lost sense of smell?

As far as I remember, that initial lawsuit was settled. I'm sure there will be more to come though. If I were him, I'd go to a doctor about it so the problem and any tests are documented in his medical records.

sjb4

Oct 12, 2008
Product placement. Can't live with it, can't burn down all corporations.
No side effects because it doesn't cause any effects. That stuff doesn't do anything and you're wasting your money.

So say you. Maybe its psychosomatic but my cold symptoms last no longer than 3 days and are greatly reduced. So I think its money well spent - and cheaper than other cold medications.

Spokker

Jan 15, 2009
Maybe its psychosomatic but my cold symptoms last no longer than 3 days and are greatly reduced.
Give the money to whoever designed your immune system instead.

There is no known cure for the cold. It is the most common illness in the world and you can help prevent it by washing your hands and things like that. You'll get it eventually, however, and all medicines treat symptoms only and do not do anything to actually reduce the duration of the cold.

All you have to do is rest up, eat well, and you'll be back on your feet in no time. Don't fool yourself into thinking that any medicine does anything to actually cure or treat a cold. They only treat symptoms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bark

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Give the money to whoever designed your immune system instead.

There is no known cure for the cold. It is the most common illness in the world and you can help prevent it by washing your hands and things like that. You'll get it eventually, however, and all medicines treat symptoms only and do not do anything to actually reduce the duration of the cold.

All you have to do is rest up, eat well, and you'll be back on your feet in no time. Don't fool yourself into thinking that any medicine does anything to actually cure or treat a cold. They only treat symptoms.

I know. I was stupid.

All I want to say is you guys should never do it. Not once.