The yellow line rule needs to DIE RIGHT NOW

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I want Mike Helton to strap himself into a car and flip into a catch fence like Carl just did. And then maybe he will get a clue as to the unintended consequences the rules they have in place create. You have a yellow line rule that is supposedly for "saftey" when in the course of 7 years, having to race above the yellow line has caused more accidents than racing below it ever caused. Its sickening.

Ruaidh

Oct 15, 2008
I think you're full of crap!
The yellow line has not caused any wrecks, it's the drivers who make the mistake of going there.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
And the drivers do it because the yellow line IS there...:rolleyes:

Would have been different had Regan Smith done the same thing to Toni Stewart last year. I was hopping Smith would have just held his line and let Toni go flipping down the track.

This isn't racing. Marcos Ambrose had the best comment about this not being racing. At least they only race there twice a year...:worried:

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
That's the nature of racing period. Things like that happen. It happened before they had plates and after. It happened before they had a yellow line and after. I don't like the yellow line rule either but removing it isn't going to stop something like that from happening. They'll just block lower on the track.

Ruaidh

Oct 15, 2008
That's the nature of racing period. Things like that happen. It happened before they had plates and after. It happened before they had a yellow line and after. I don't like the yellow line rule either but removing it isn't going to stop something like that from happening. They'll just block lower on the track.

Thank you

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
A guy being put in the position to either go below the yellow line or turn another car is not the nature of racing. How can you say removing the yellow line rule wouldnt of prevented it? If there was no yellow line rule wouldnt Brad just of gone on the apron like Regan Smith did last year?

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
A guy being put in the position to either go below the yellow line or turn another car is not the nature of racing. How can you say removing the yellow line rule wouldnt of prevented it? If there was no yellow line rule wouldnt Brad just of gone on the apron like Regan Smith did last year?

Yes he would have went below the line if there were no rule and so would Carl. That is my only point. I don't like the yellow line rule only because it is open to a judgment call by the officials. If you get rid of the yellow line rule, you'll get rid of the judgment calls as to if someone is forced below the line. You'll never prevent accidents like that from happening. Drivers will continue to block above or below the line. That would never change.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
More wrecks have happened because of the yellow line since the rule was instituted than there ever was before. Can anybody name me one multi car crash that was caused because a bar was below the yellow line?

Im glad to hear that a lot of people share my view on this subject. I dont expect people to agree blindly but I think this is a topic that should be debated and needs to be addressed.

Easy Money

Oct 25, 2008
MS
www.myspace.com
BLOCKING is not racing. If a driver chooses to throw a reckless block, he has to be ok with the consequences. What happened to "drag" racing back to the line?????

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
As I said before "Can anybody name me one multi car crash that was caused because a car was below the yellow line?"

I can name you at least 3 incidents that happened because of cars protecting the yellow line and not wanting to go below it. Not to mention all the blown judgement calls, near misses, single car spins, unneeded black flags. The yellow line rule is a gimmick.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I know that I can't name specific wrecks. At the same time, how many of those wrecks were as a result of blocking? I think that is more a result of plate racing. For the most part, everyone on the track is pretty equal. What can be done about it? You can't remove the plates or one of those cars is going to end up in the stands. You can remove the yellow line but that isn't going to eliminate all of the wrecks. For the sake of the debate, remove the yellow line. You still have two drivers trying to win the race. The guy in second fakes high and then dives low. The leader moves up to block and down to block again. IMO the still would come in contact, only 15 feet closer to the grass.

I agree with you that the line needs to go, just for different reasons.

Les2

Oct 26, 2008
Blaming the yellow line for this is wrong! The blame should be placed on Nascar itself! When RS dropped below that line, won the race and had it taken away, that was a lack of commonsense by Nascar! If he wouldn't have moved, Tony would've wrecked also! I knew a wreck like this was going to happen and Nascar has noone else to blame!

nafddur

Oct 18, 2008
At the same time, how many of those wrecks were as a result of blocking? I think that is more a result of plate racing. For the most part, everyone on the track is pretty equal. What can be done about it?

Exactly right. The problem isn't the yellow line - it's artificially restricting the speeds and, again artificially, bunching the cars up because passing is so restricted (pun intended).

And we know the solution, as impractical and prohibitively expensive (though certainly possible) as it would be. REDUCE the banking at Dega and Daytona so the drivers would be forced to actually drive the cars - and actually pass with them again. Those tracks were fine in the 60's, but have been obsolete for decades.

Of course, imagine the outcry from the hillbillies who flock to those 2 tracks professing to love the `great racing' there so much.

Restrictor plates are just dumb, dumb, dumb. Remember the horrible plate race at NHIS (now NHMS) with the thinking that that was the only way to prevent driver fatalities there? One of the worst races in Nascar history.

Only thing worse now are the Daytona and Dega races where `fans' merely wait for big crashes to occur.