The Wrestler (no spoilers)

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I rented this movie the other day and finally got a chance to watch it last night.

Normally, movies that get a ton of acclaim, I find to be OVERRATED but this film deserved ALL of the awards and notoriety that it received.

This is one of those movies that you watch and then can't get out of your head for the next day or so. Such a great but depressing film.

If you HAVEN'T seen this movie then I highly recommend it.

If you have seen it and want to talk about it please do so here.

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
I'm usually very pleased when a film doesn't live up to it's hype. Nothing like a good old hollywood failure to make me feel better about myself. But I like Mickey Rourke and I hoped he and this movie were going to knock one out of the park and they did just that. It is depressing but I dug it the whole way through. The director did a great job in telling the story as well. I would recommend this to anyone who hasn't seen it. I was a bit bummed about Bruce Springsteen's song written for the movie. I'm not a big Bruce fan in the first place, but I guess it's just not my style.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Yes. This film is a perfect example of what a great director can do with a movie. He filmed this so much like a documentary and really treated the subject of wrestling serious.

I have not been able to stop thinking about this film. I've been depressed all day over it.

Darren Aronofsky has made a few films, Requiem for a Dream I have seen, but I have not seen "THE FOUNTAIN" but I will be looking to rent this soon. I'm sure it is also depressing so I need to see a few comedies in between.

This film is such a perfect example of what an ARTFORM film can be.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no film snob, but there are about 1000 miles in between "the wrestler" and "X-Men Origins." I enjoyed both but one is a movie and one is a film.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
REAL GOOD.

Also if you haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire or Ben Button SEE THEM.

So great. You don't want them to end.

TimTimSalabim

Oct 17, 2008
I thought I was going to hate it because I'm not a big fan of either wrestling or Aranofsky. But I ended up liking it a lot.

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
The Wrestler is an awesome movie. It's sad that Mickey Rourke didn't get the Oscar for his role.

Many claim that Rourke's character was based from Jake "The Snake" Roberts.

I kinda agree about Benjamin Button. The story would be better if it wasn't a knock-off of Forrest Gump.

Slumdog wasn't bad, either. Too bad the kids in the film got screwed over financially in real life.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
huh...i didn't think it lived up to the hype at all. I felt it was kinda boring, and i was waiting for it to end. Slummdog on the other hand, I loved it!

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
I just felt that slumdog's end was too fairy tale for me. Thew wrestler was a drama that was intended to be sad. Not too many surprises, just the self destruction of a man living moment to moment. I loved it!

Blitz71

Oct 12, 2008
Elizabethtown, PA
www.myspace.com
I'm not a Mickey Rourke fan at all but this movie was great. When I was younger I used to watch wrestling. Now as an adult, I don't watch it anymore, but I'm fascinated by their lives behind the scenes. I read a bunch of autobiographies. It really can be a sad life. Anyway, great movie, Rourke was great, gotta see it.