The Wimbledon Final

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I can't be the only one that watched the whole thing.

Discuss here!

Is it the best final ever?

Is Federerer the best ever?

Will Roddick conitnue at that level and win the US OPEN?

For me, I don't think you can compare Tennis players across the board. Is Federer the best of this Era, sure. Is he the best ever? Who knows. 30 years ago they were still using wooden raquets and nobody served faster than 90mph so I don't think you can rank best of all time, just like with Football Teams. Too much in the game has changed.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Roddick gave Federer a run for his money. I don't think I've ever seen Roddick play that well. That 5th set was brutal.

It was really good drama, and a great sports moment.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
I have to say that I say the early rounds of the 5th match, but I couldn't watch after that because Roddick was playing valiantly out of his league, and barring a miracle that didn't happen, it's was only a matter of when Federer was going to win. But good Tennis:bigthumbup:

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
That was some crazy exhausting stuff! It's AMAZING how that stupid Nintendo WII sports has gotten me watching GOLF and TENNIS all of a sudden. Not enough to care but enough to be interested as I'm ready to pass out playing that shit and it's a video game!

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Too bad Roddick couldn't close out the 2nd set. He would have been in the drivers seat for sure.

I know. Being up 6-2 with 2 serves, and with the way he was serving, was crazy. 2 sets to love would have changed the entire final (obviously) and the way Roddick and Federer would have played. Roddick could have just went on serving and NOT being broken and Federere woudl have had to really go for it and probably make more errors.

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
Is it the best final ever?
As good as it was, I still think last year's was better. More drama last year. They pretty much held serve through most of this year's.

I'd say he'd beat anyone on a consistent basis whoever player the game. I think his skill set makes him the best ever + like you said, better equipment, etc. I also think Laver got a raw deal, because he couldn't play in Grand Slams for 5 or so peak years of his career (due to professional/amateur rules), when he could have been winning more slams. He'd probably have more than 15 if that was the case, but we'll never know.​

Will Roddick conitnue at that level and win the US OPEN?
That was the best I've seen Roddick play, but I still think Federer is the clear favor at the Open. Roddick would probably have 4 or 5 Grand Slams right about now, if not for Federer.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I'd say he'd beat anyone on a consistent basis whoever player the game.

He's only 7-13 against Nadal. I'm not much of a tennis fan, but from what I can gather, that's the biggest argument against him being "the best ever".

Another question, who has the better personal logo, Roger Federer or Tiger Woods?

2716833832_32bf50eb64_m.jpg
tiger_woods_logo.gif

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
He's only 7-13 against Nadal. I'm not much of a tennis fan, but from what I can gather, that's the biggest argument against him being "the best ever".

Another question, who has the better personal logo, Roger Federer or Tiger Woods?

2716833832_32bf50eb64_m.jpg
tiger_woods_logo.gif

I like Tiger's WAY better but it would be so cool to be so great at something that you get your own logo. That is pretty much a sure fire sign that you are truly great at something.

I still say that you cannot really rank tennis players as "the best ever" due to such constant changes in rules, equipment, conditioning, etc. Best of a certain era, without a doubt, best ever? who knows. It is fun to argue about and speculate but I don't think there is a clear answer.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I agree, Tiger's logo is better. I'm not sure if they meant for this, but the 'T' coming out of the 'W' resembles a golf tee. Nice touch.

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
Tiger's logo looks like it should be the logo for Metallica or something... RF wins here, but I think it might be too simple...