The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by JHDK, Nov 1, 2010.

1. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so we have a tread about this, but i wanted to start an official walking dead thread.

ive got a billion thoughts about this show, bare with me all. and there will be 1st episode spoilers.

ok here we go.

best opening ever! any show that will start off with shooting a little girl in the face is fing kickass! the whole cop, setting up the premise after that was ok but not the best. then it got shitty. i dont need the played out, cle'ched (sp?) wake up in the hospital, open to a zombie show. -10 right there. but then it get better. once hes awake and meets up with the family (dad and son) it gets really cool again. cool how the dad tries to keep the son proper even in a zombie infested environment. learning about how there may be a safe place in atlanta is also played out but they did it in an ok way. +0.5 right there.

then they get to the police station and that was great. you see the cop and the dad + kid arm themselves. also the star cop finds a zombie coworker cop and has to pop him in the head. cool. +2

star cop gets into the car and starts his way to atl. very cool scene when hes trying to reach people on the radio and the refugee camp hears him but cant talk to him. they will play a big roll in the series. +5 in the camp it seems like they are so used to life with zombies its normal to them. they go about their daily life. the woman in the camp tells her kid to go about his chores. at the same time wanting to post signs that atl is not the promised land.

then we get back to the star cop. when he gets the horse and starts walking to atl its great! when they show him on the horse walking into atl with all the empty cars trying to get out of atl it was a stunning scene. then he gets to atl.........

Fing sweet. so a few zombies at first, the show taught us about this already. then he rounds the corner and BOOM, ZOMBIE HOARD!!!!!!!!! +20 great scene. you see how the army was there but taken over. all the dead tanks and all. as soon as we think the star might be done (of course that wont happen, hes the star) he finds his way into a tank and locks himself in. then the radio goes off. cool! so we now know there is someone else out there that he will get to. he has a saving grace. now i cant wait for S1E2!

also, TV14???? i think mad men gets a TVMA and there is 0 violence on that show. they just say "shit" and "goddamn" sometimes. this show showed straight up gunshots to the head and its only TV14. if i had young kids id much rather they see mad men than this show. the rating system seems all off to me.

but i digress.......

so overall thoughts, great show. had some big flaws in the first 20 mins but after that came on way strong. i give it 4 out of 5 Koops.

:bigthumbup::bigthumbup::bigthumbup::bigthumbup:

hopefully next week will top it with a 5 of 5 koops.

if this show stays this good after 10 episodes it will be up there for best shows on tv. and amc will have don it again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  2. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

I watched about 20 minutes of it before heading out to work today.

It looks decent so far and the opening sequence really reminds me of something off of HBO.

3. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

SPOILER ALERT.

That woman in the camp is Star Cop's wife. That man she's kissing is Star Cop's partner. Not "life partner" like me and Casual Fan, but cop partner, like Starsky and Hutch.

I enjoyed it. It opened mid-apocalypse, then jumped back to a bunch of fruity talking between Star Cop and his partner. Feh. Then hospital, then finally with the zombies again. I could have skipped that fruity talking, but apparently it's important to the drama of the show. The drama that's not about zombies grabbing you.

hyson likes this.
  4. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

I'm not reading any of these posts.

I was so excited for this show but when I realized that GAME 4 of the series was on, I realized I would have to on demand it.

I will be watching tonight. Excited.

5. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

This is an excellent idea for any posts in this thread. Thank you.

I'd like to encourage any future posters to follow this example.

6. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

SPOILER ALERT

This certainly ruined this episode for me.

7. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I thought it was a great premier. The pace was deliberately slow to help you feel the guy's isolation, and to help sustain the show as a series. The headshots were AWESOME! Classic zombie movie splat attacks. I also liked how they didn't let you know how the zombies came to be. More discovery as the series progresses.

Good job on the dedicated thread Koop. :bigthumbup:

8. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Great zombie stories don't dick around with how the zombies came to be. All the people smart enough to explain it are dead. It doesn't matter if it was a virus, an evil spirit or a pop song. Something led to the zombie onslaught, and there is no going back. Explaining it just steals screen time from delicious zombie mayhem.

9. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

e1=as good as 28 days later. imo. and thats a great zombie movie.

thoughts?

btw/get used to it guys, ill bump this thread till the cows come home. zombies are scary and awesome!

10. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

ur so right and that was my biggest flaw of the show. i think it would have been better if they just started right off with zombie infected usa. i dont need the back story. the whole waking up in a hospital shit sucked. thats why the show lost 1 koop out of 5.

11. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I loved the way Shaun Of The Dead handled it. That was classic.

I kind of liked it. It gave you a chance to get to know the character before he wakes up to the zombie madness. And like you guys say, he opens his eyes, and it's game on - no explanation needed.

12. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

SPOILERS INCLUDED:

Got to watch MOST of this episode last night. I started it after the world series and i had to turn it off to go to bed. It was late and I will finish it today. I stopped watching as the Father was sniping Zombies from the bedroom but couldn't force himself to pull the trigger on his now ZOMBIE-FIED wife. That guy is a good actor and I just saw him in something else he was really good in too. That scene was powerfull.

GREAT, GREAT, GREAT SHOW!!!!!!!! This show was errie, well acted, scary, desolate and entertaining all in one.

I do agree with how waking up the hospital was kind of weak only because that is how 28 Days Later did it. I wish they could have come up with something original but I'm not going to hold that against the show.

I DO hope they get to explaining how people became Zombies. I always like to see/here origin stories like this and hope they do it well. I'm sure they will, I just hope it makes sense. I HOPE IT ISN"T A GOVERNEMENT GENERATED DISEASE GONE BAD. that is an old storyline and I don't like it. Come up with something creative.

Excited to finish this show and super excited to finish the episode later today.

13. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

I loved it. I'm a fan of the old Zombie movies and I even liked the remake of Dawn of the Dead. I'm sure it will get a second season.

14. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

Wrapped this up last night.

Looking foward to more episodes.

Way to go, AMC!

15. Chrissyb

Chrissyb Active Member

I haven't read this thread..because I'm afraid of spoilers... but I have the show on Tivo I plan on watching it this weekend.

I saw all you thumbs up .. so now I'm really looking forward to it.

16. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

Got to finish this show. WOW.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere near Atlanta right now. That Zombie hoarde was insane!!!!!!

So excited for Sunday. Glad I'll have another show to watch late night on Sundays.

17. GoodDog

GoodDog Well-Known Member

Watched it last night, fast forwarded thru some of the ssllooww parts, overall I liked it.

18. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

I thought it was a really, really good show. I disagree with some of you that dislike the backstory of the characters and origins of the disease. I want that stuff as it makes it a deeper story and gets you to care about the characters. Just Zombie killing with no story would get pretty boring week after week.:shock:

The actors have good chemistry and so far fit their parts well. I think (at least I hope) this show can make it for the long haul. I really like the main character.

19. ProperModulation

ProperModulation Green Type of Tube

Finally finished it last night. I was a bit disappointed that there was no zombie smooshing after he got in the tank. oh well. Looks to be a good show. Can't wait to see how it holds up. I am a little concerned with the whole wife/partner subplot. I hope that doesn't distract from all the Zombie Apocalypse goodness.

20. Chob

Chob Well-Known Member

I hardly ever get into any TV shows whatsoever but I caught this and loved it. Will be tuning in regularly.