The Three Stooges

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
If you're like me, you probably grew up watching reruns of The Three Stooges on TV. Looks like a new Three Stooges movie will hit the big screen in 2010.

Article - Independent Film Guide - Yahoo! Movies

Sean Penn as Larry
Benicio del Toro as Moe?
Jim Carrey as Curly?

What you guys think? Who should play these parts?

news_threestooges.jpg

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
None of them are short or Jewish...:shock:

Years ago I had heard that Mel Gibson was trying to make a Three Stooges Movie. I'm sure that wouldn't work now after his arrest...:scratch:

I dunno. I hope it's good, but I wouldn't expect it to be...:worried:

Thanks for the info, though...:)

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
These biopics can flirt with the douche chills. One of the key elements to the Three Stooges was the sound effects, I'm not sure how that will play to this generation for one and I don't know how it could possibly translate to film on a comedic level.

They're all fine actors, but this story reeks heavily of a finance campaign built on wishful thinking. The end result might mirror a Curlyism..."they try to think up a project, but nothin' happens".

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
Yeah. I was reading about this on Yahoo just before getting on the DRC site. I thought the idea of doing the 4 narratives sounded better than 1. What was great about the Three Stooges were the fifteen minute skits. Anything longer was too much. Anyway, seeing Jim Carray as Curly may be worth the trip to the theater.

There is also the remake of the original Star Trek this spring.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
I'm interested. Finally someone isn't going to make a lousy incomplete bio of them using the 3 shorts that were lost to public domain.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
I first heard about this a few days ago. Smells like a flop to me. But, I was thinking Jim Carrey as Moe (he already played a lookalike in dumb & dumber), and someone like a Jack Black as Curly. They would have to modernize the script a bit these days with their handling of minorities, probably making it a bit too politically correct. Much different times back then.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Given that it's the Farrelly brothers, I'm encouraged. They make great movies.

The Coen Brothers could have a good time with this too.

But I'm skeptical regardless. I used to stay up every night till 1:00 in the morning when I was in high school watching every Stooges two reeler made. Loved em.
Hope they don't F it up.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
The Coen Brothers could have a good time with this too.

But I'm skeptical regardless. I used to stay up every night till 1:00 in the morning when I was in high school watching every Stooges two reeler made. Loved em.
Hope they don't F it up.

I agree with that one. I still stay home like a HUMP on New Years Eve just to watch them. Every sunday morning.

Traditions die hard I guess.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
This has got 'straight to video' written all over it. Carrey is about the only one I could see pulling it off, but Sean Penn, really?

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
The Three Stooges are hilarious and timeless.

A sad bipic about the three stooges that won't be funny and focuses more on how much they suffered and died broke is something I certainly DON'T want to see.

Put Sean Penn in anything and I can guarantee you two things:

1. He will be amazing
2. He will make it unfunny, too serious and really just have yet another reason to be extremely full of himself. He really needs to be reminded that he played JEFF SPICOLI.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
The Three Stooges are hilarious and timeless.

A sad bipic about the three stooges that won't be funny and focuses more on how much they suffered and died broke is something I certainly DON'T want to see.

They did that already. This is something else.

Put Sean Penn in anything and I can guarantee you two things:

1. He will be amazing
2. He will make it unfunny, too serious and really just have yet another reason to be extremely full of himself. He really needs to be reminded that he played JEFF SPICOLI.

So Fast "Times at Ridgemont High" was unfunny and too serious?

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
They did that already. This is something else.

So Fast "Times at Ridgemont High" was unfunny and too serious?

No. Fast Times was Hilarious but this was before he became SEAN PENN--he was just a memeber of the cast in this and not the main character.

Can y ou honestly tell me that any movie he has done within the last 5-7 years hasn't been a really serious downer that goes to the extreme to showcase an oddball character? I mean the guy is a great actor, probably one of the best out there right now but all he ever does are depressing films.

Also, don't take everything so f'in literally. I was just pointing out that if Sean penn is in this film then it won't be a lighthearted screwball comedy. Christ.