The Space Thread

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule

screw you earth 1! lets go to earth 2. but before we do lets frack the hell outta this place and burn all the coal just for fun.

The second Earth that we could visit in our lifetime: Planet is discovered just four light years away and scientists say it may have liquid water and alien life | Daily Mail Online

only 4 light years away!

378D575300000578-3756479-image-a-30_1472058719286.jpg

Reactions: semipenguin

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
ok 4 light years got me interested. apparently one light year is 5.879e+12 miles. so thats something like 5.88 trillion miles. so 4 light years is 23.52 trillion miles. if the universe in infinite that seems like a quick jaunt to earth 2.

its also neat to think they could have aliens. i know the articles say a there is no real way to tell w/o knowing about the atmosphere but they do think there is likely pooling water on the surface and thats a good sign. so assuming there are aliens and they are like us they would be as or less advanced than us seeing how there has been no contact. but then again maybe they are more advanced just in totally different areas. all of this wild speculation is fun to me.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
So we are to believe that it took all this time to discover an earth like planet a hop skip and a jump away from us? I sense conspiracy.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
We could always ask Thor and use his beaming system to arrive to another planet.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
So we are to believe that it took all this time to discover an earth like planet a hop skip and a jump away from us? I sense conspiracy.
Earth-like planet found orbiting the star next door - Technology & Science - CBC News

According to the article
"The international team of astronomers that announced the discovery did not actually see the planet but deduced its existence indirectly, by using telescopes to spot and precisely calculate the gravitational pull on the star by a possible orbiting body — a tried-and-true method of planet-hunting."

Other interesting tidbits
"NASA's New Horizons probe, the fastest spacecraft launched, left Earth hurtling toward Pluto at about 36,000 mph. At that speed, it would take more than 78,000 years to get [to this newly discovered planet].

Earlier this year, an all-star team of scientists and business leaders including Stephen Hawking and Mark Zuckerberg announced Breakthrough Starshot, a project to send out hundreds of light-powered space probes that would weigh about a gram, travel at one-fifth the speed of light and send pictures back to Earth.

Even at the hoped-for speed, it will take 20 years to get there and four more years for photos to come back. Worden said he hopes they will launch by 2060."

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Or they know it's there by the interrogations they have done on surivours of crashed alien spacecrafts ... the ones the government says don't exist. They are releasing this information now because likely a fleet of starcruisers is heading toward us now and they need to groom us for their arrival. It all depends how you interpret this information and who you believe. The truth is out there.

Reactions: scotchandcigar