The Secret Santa Revolt

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
I must say I was shocked that Scott Salem had the balls to refuse to participate in the Secret Santa drawing... and then Sal and Richard joined him (although they apparently later caved in). Howard was really bummed ... I assume because he knew it made him look cheap. Interesting moment. Robin and Gary were momentarily silent. It reminds me of the time when Ralph was being ridiculed on all sides for his failure to complete projects. When Ralph said back to Howard "look at all the projects you've never finished" the whole studio got quiet.

DoublEE

Oct 11, 2008
South Euclid, Ohio
I must say I was shocked that Scott Salem had the balls to refuse to participate in the Secret Santa drawing... and then Sal and Richard joined him (although they apparently later caved in). Howard was really bummed ... I assume because he knew it made him look cheap. Interesting moment. Robin and Gary were momentarily silent. It reminds me of the time when Ralph was being ridiculed on all sides for his failure to complete projects. When Ralph said back to Howard "look at all the projects you've never finished" the whole studio got quiet.

That Porky's remake should be hitting the theaters any year now. :roflmao:

In Howard's defense, he's probably putting all his creative efforts towards winning next year's North Shore Animal League Dog-cademy Awards.

GoodDog

Oct 13, 2008
Scientific Map

SOS every year

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I can understand why Howard wants to do this,but his logic is way off. When he says I'm not your boss! Do I sign your checks! I have 15 people under me that I'm responsible for. I don't sign their checks either,but I do get them a little something every year. It makes everyone feel good. I know its different for Howard,but still its called THE HOWARD STERN SHOW and he is the boss. Plus he acts like he is the one shopping for things and standing in line. All he does is sign the credit card receipt or check. Anyway I can't understand him. It was funnier when people would get him things and he would rag on them.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
Salem pulled out? I thought it was DePace who got his Republican knickers in a twist.
If it was meant to be a bit, it's ruined. And the fact that it all stemed from Howard's cheapness and/or unwillingness to give gifts to some people further down the line, makes it even more absurd! That's got to be awful for morale...not that things seem to be going great lately, either!

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Is the presents from your boss at Xmas a Northeast thing? I can't think of a single job where I've ever gotten a present from the boss here in the midwest. I can't even say that I've ever run across anyone who thinks it's an entitlement like the whiners on Howard's staff do.

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008
Salem pulled out? I thought it was DePace who got his Republican knickers in a twist.
If it was meant to be a bit, it's ruined. And the fact that it all stemed from Howard's cheapness and/or unwillingness to give gifts to some people further down the line, makes it even more absurd! That's got to be awful for morale...not that things seem to be going great lately, either!

I believe both Scotts pulled out. It was funny to hear Scott the engineer call Howard out for being the cheap bastard that he is. As you correctly pointed out, the morale must be really low at Sirius. Hell, they wouldn't even pay Greg Fitzsimmons' hotel bill - and he's a Sirius employee! LOL

Even though he's under no obligation to do so, wouldn't it be a good will gesture on Howard's part to throw a holiday party for his immediate staff? No elaborate presents, just a morale boosting get together. The cost wouldn't be that much, and it could be written off as a business expense to boot.

The content on H100 and H101 certainly can't be tapping out the 100 million per year budget, can it? I guess spending less than half of a one way helicopter ride to the Hamptons on his dedicated, loyal employees is beyond the reason of this lanky miser.

Neigh

Oct 16, 2008
New Jersey
Is the presents from your boss at Xmas a Northeast thing? I can't think of a single job where I've ever gotten a present from the boss here in the midwest. I can't even say that I've ever run across anyone who thinks it's an entitlement like the whiners on Howard's staff do.

I think it is more of a show biz thing where the entertainer works so closely with the staff and there is such an enormous disparity in pay. I am assuming that most of the salaries (JD level, Jason level and even Benji ) are low and no one gets a Christmas bonus.

jamesp717

Oct 13, 2008
Hey Now

Can someone explain to me where is the Secret in Secret Santa ?

The way I have seen Secret Santa done is to pick a name out of a hat and keep it a F'ing secret. Along with the name you may ask the person to suggest 3 gifts in a price range. The price range being an amount selected and agreed upon by all. This way no one knows who got who what and no one gets credit for spending 2 G's for a gift or shit for spending 20 dollars for a gift.

The way they do it on the show its just a big ego trip and once Howard,Robin & artie pick who really gives a shit ?

JMO

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I live in the midwest(Ohio) and I give out presents to my employees. It's really a morale booster. It's usaully a nice gift card or something like that. It's not much,but it makes my people feel good. Like I stated above I don't sign their checks,but they know I'm their boss. Next time Scott the engineer fucks up and Howard starts blasting him he should say wait a sec.......... you better call Mel and Scott Greenstein in to yell at me because they're really my boss. Howard is being a grinch and thats it.

Machinehead

Nov 21, 2008

No, it's more of Stern Show tradition that Howard no longer wants do anymore. Howard is totally coming off like a cheap ass with this not so secret Santa crap. It's not that hard to get a complete list of everyone that works for Howard 100 and 101 and give them a half-way decent gift. Other than Howard, Robin, Fred, Artie and Booey I don't think any of them get paid very well. A token of Howard's appreciation for their work would go a long way.

On the other hand the staff needs to stop bellyaching. The economy is in the crapper and they should be lucky that they have jobs at this point.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
I must say I was shocked that Scott Salem had the balls to refuse to participate in the Secret Santa drawing... and then Sal and Richard joined him (although they apparently later caved in). Howard was really bummed ... I assume because he knew it made him look cheap. .

Why does it make Howard look cheap? I would think it makes Scott look cheap. I kind of skimmed right through that segment today

INext time Scott the engineer fucks up and Howard starts blasting him he should say wait a sec.......... you better call Mel and Scott Greenstein in to yell at me because they're really my boss.

LOLLERSKATES!!!

BTW, I live in the midwest and my boss bought us a gift. Nothing big, but not unheard of. Hell, when I was a dishwasher in highschool, the restaruant gave all the employees a gift. I got a $30 gift certificate

Its not unheard-of at all

Last edited:

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Howard should give sirius stock for xmas this year.:bigthumbup:

That would be a great gift. I think he should make a donation for each person to "The Human Fund" aka pull a George Constanza from Seinfeld. That episode was classic. He was so cheap. It's almost festivus. Time to get the pole out and have the airing of grievances.

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
Howard's f'in' Jewish! (Or was that half-Jew? ;)) I don't think he should give anyone Christmas presents if he doesn't want to.

If they want something for the air, the A-listers should do Yankee trader. A caller to the Wrap-Up Show said the same thing, and I agree with him. The failure with this Secret Santa bit is they have people never before mentioned on air in it. WGAS? WGAF?

jamesp717

Oct 13, 2008
Hey Now

Hey, he didn't get them free!
And if that's true, he is so out of touch, he probably paid more than what they should cost!

I don't know I am betting that the Sirius Franchise got them at cost or for free.