The Random Post Thread

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
How much do you guys pay for a haircut? I got one yesterday and with a $5 tip it was $29. That included a shampoo. Seems pretty good. I've never been a barber guy. I have one of those chain places walking distance from my place so that has become my go to. And I keep track of everything I spend so I looked back to my last haircut and it was almost exactly 2 months ago.

Last edited:

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
How much do you guys pay for a haircut? I got one yesterday and with a $5 tip it was $29. That included a shampoo. Seems pretty good. I've never been a barber guy. I have one of those chain places walking distance from my place so that has become my go to. And I keep track of everything I spend so I looked back to my last haircut and it was almost exactly 2 months ago.
For a long time I was a Supercuts guy. When I lived in NH, and rented in Mass, I went there. But being part of a community now, there are these old-timey barber shops, where they get to know you, and they remember how you want your hair cut.

Before the pandemic, the Yorke's Barber Shop was $19 for a cut and wet blade neck trim. I'd give them $26 (one better than $25). It's a bit of a pain, because they only take cash; and so I like to have the exact amount, as it's awkward to ask for change back when you're giving a tip.

Then for 6 months I didn't go. I gave myself 2 trims with the #4 attachment to the beard trimmer, and my wife gave me the 3rd cut. She actually made it mostly through hairdresser school (as a teen), so she knows how to do a good cut. And for a few years, she cut my hair. But it took her a long time, like 20 minutes or more, and it made a mess to clean. Also, you need the professional scissors and a trimmer. Eventually, the scissors get dull, and it doesn't work well.

Anyway, I went back to Yorke's Barber Shop about a month ago, and it was ok. You put your name on a clipboard outside the door, and when it's your turn, you go in. You have to lift the earloops of the mask to get around the ears. And his price suddenly went up to $25, which is fine with me, but it was unexpected. I gave him $32 I think.

Reactions: JHDK

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
When I was going, I was paying $16 (no shampoo) for a cut and straight razor on the back of the neck. I'd round up to $20.
I didn't get it cut for the first few months of COVID and it was driving me crazy, so I took a chance and cut it myself with clippers over the bathtub.

I've gotten pretty good at it, but it takes me about 45 minutes to get everything good. Doing the back is tough. I start with a 5 on the top and work down to a 2 on the sides. It lasts 4 or 5 weeks. I've gotten complements, but have realized I'm a lousy tipper.

Reactions: Aaron

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
and straight razor on the back of the neck.

While I'm no barber guy, I do want to go to one of those places where they shave you with a straight razor. ANd they use that leather thing to sharpen it or whatever. That seems fun. Who know if I'll ever get around to it though.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
While I'm no barber guy, I do want to go to one of those places where they shave you with a straight razor. ANd they use that leather thing to sharpen it or whatever. That seems fun. Who know if I'll ever get around to it though.
I don't get an actual shave (although I think it's available), but they use shave cream and a straight razor for the back of my neck. It's very old-school.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I don't like how calendars start each week on Sunday. The week should start on Monday. It even bothers me on my current favorite watch the Graitymaster where Sunday is the first day of the week the subdial points to.

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I don't like how calenders start each week on Sunday. The week should start on Monday. It even bothers me on my current favorite watch the Graitymaster where Sunday is the first day of the week the subdial points to.
For those of us that work for a living, it means your first day of the week isn't Monday which is a plus.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
For those of us that work for a living,

Hardy har har jerk. Haha.

I actually have been working for a little while now, just haven't talked about it here yet. It's a part time gig (about 30 hours a week) and I do it from home so that's nice. It's more or less what I was doing for free for the ex but now for 2 different people and I get paid.

And it still sucks that dumb calendars force me to view Sunday as the first day of the week.

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Hardy har har jerk. Haha.

I actually have been working for a little while now, just haven't talked about it here yet. It's a part time gig (about 30 hours a week) and I do it from home so that's nice. It's more or less what I was doing for free for the ex but now for 2 different people and I get paid.

And it still sucks that dumb calendars force me to view Sunday as the first day of the week.
Congratulations. And thanx for noticing. It is good to have my jerkiness recognized.

Which calendars? I know a lot of the digital ones have that as an option.

Reactions: HecticArt