The Rain Debate

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I am not talking about if it is a legitimate win or not by wining on a rain out. That can't be argued. That's the rule. I'm talking more of a fan's perspective. Do you think that they should come back to complete the race the next available day regardless of the number of laps run? I think that there were 27 laps left yesterday. It's probably a real easy answer if you are only watching it on TV or listening to it on the radio. I'd like to see or here 27 more laps on Monday. I'd have a different response if I were attending the race. I always take the next day off after a scheduled race for a travel day. A few times, I've been to races that have been rained out and have stuck around the next day to watch the rescheduled race. I don't think though that I'd stay for 27 laps though. How about you? What would you do?

foyt

Oct 23, 2008
South of Terre Haute
I am not talking about if it is a legitimate win or not by wining on a rain out. That can't be argued. That's the rule. I'm talking more of a fan's perspective. Do you think that they should come back to complete the race the next available day regardless of the number of laps run? I think that there were 27 laps left yesterday. It's probably a real easy answer if you are only watching it on TV or listening to it on the radio. I'd like to see or here 27 more laps on Monday. I'd have a different response if I were attending the race. I always take the next day off after a scheduled race for a travel day. A few times, I've been to races that have been rained out and have stuck around the next day to watch the rescheduled race. I don't think though that I'd stay for 27 laps though. How about you? What would you do?

I would not stay over for 27 laps, nor would I want to have to pay for security/maintenance personnel the next day either. This dude called BooBoo last night bitching that he had spent $11,000 entertaining guests and got totally screwed. I'm happy he has that kind of $$ to throw around, but his argument that football plays in the rain doesn't hold up with me. Maybe he could have paid the $$ for a finish today??

Reactions: semipenguin

jC...

Oct 14, 2008
Start the races at 1pm local time. And dont give me the argument about people on the west coast because most of them want the races to start at 10am their local time.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I would not stay over for 27 laps, nor would I want to have to pay for security/maintenance personnel the next day either. This dude called BooBoo last night bitching that he had spent $11,000 entertaining guests and got totally screwed. I'm happy he has that kind of $$ to throw around, but his argument that football plays in the rain doesn't hold up with me. Maybe he could have paid the $$ for a finish today??

I sure agree with that.

Start the races at 1pm local time. And dont give me the argument about people on the west coast because most of them want the races to start at 10am their local time.

I'd like to see early starts as well but that would change anything about rain outs. Maybe this time, but not all the time.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
As long as these races are held outside and not under a roof, there will always be rain outs. It doesn't matter if you start the race at 8:00AM, races will still rain out. My question wasn't about early race starts, it was about sticking around for 27 laps the next day. Would you bother? Do you think they should always complete a race?

jC...

Oct 14, 2008
There will be rainouts. But, starting them earlier gives you more time to get them in. The way they do it now they might as well start them at 5pm because the have the 4 hour window to race 500 miles.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Start the races at 1pm local time.

12 or 1 central time.....like it used to be. Keep it simple. Heck, if I'm on the west coast, a 10 am start time would be awesome. ;)

Calypso

Queen Calypso
Apr 29, 2009
carsandcombat.com
No, I don't think they should come back the next day to finish only 27 laps.. No point in that it would most times be only 15 mins they come back for...

They could do with starting earlier... Specially if they have rain in the forecast but I guess there are many reasons they haven't done that, I am sure if we all have thought of that, they have too.

jC...

Oct 14, 2008
Just to clarify. I dont want a 2:30pm race to be changed to 1pm on that day. You cant do that . They need to schedule them for 1pm or earlier. I have enever heard anyone screaming for later start times. Everyone wants them to start earlier. JUST DO IT!

Sirius01_8

Oct 14, 2008
The problem with this instance is that as of 11:15 am ET it is still raining at the track in Loudon, so would you want to wait til tomorrow, then if it rains tomorrow like it is forecasted to do, do you want to wait til wednesday, and looking at the long range forecast they are calling for rain in that area for the rest of the week at least, I guess what I'm trying to say is how long do you want them to wait to try to run 27 laps, November?

It has always been in the case of rain that after halfway it is an official race, I can't count the number of times I've been to Bristol and the night race has been called sometime after halfway due to rain. If you go in thinking that way then if you get the whole race in then thats a bonus, but maybe it is all in the way you look at it.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
The problem with this instance is that as of 11:15 am ET it is still raining at the track in Loudon, so would you want to wait til tomorrow, then if it rains tomorrow like it is forecasted to do, do you want to wait til wednesday, and looking at the long range forecast they are calling for rain in that area for the rest of the week at least, I guess what I'm trying to say is how long do you want them to wait to try to run 27 laps, November?

If I were there, I'd never stay an extra day for the 27 laps. At home though, I'd gladly turn on the TV/radio to listen to the last 27 laps. IMO it's fine the way it is though.

It has always been in the case of rain that after halfway it is an official race, I can't count the number of times I've been to Bristol and the night race has been called sometime after halfway due to rain. If you go in thinking that way then if you get the whole race in then thats a bonus, but maybe it is all in the way you look at it.

I can count the number of times. It was once & that is only if you were at the Bristol, night race in 1983. That is the only one that was ever called because of rain. Darrell Waltrip won after 419 laps.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Remember when the Daytona 500 finished during the day? :twitch:

I grew up on the west coast and it gave me more of an incentive to get up early, going to early church service, and get home by 11am to watch the race. If I know I wasn't going to be home before the start, I'd set the VCR (anyone remember those :scratch:) and maybe I'd watch the whole race after it was done recording that evening :)

If the NFL can start games at 1pm ET, then so can NaSCAR :D

k9feces

Oct 20, 2008
The rules need to be changed, if a race is rained out the winner should be the points leader. Tony Stewart would have won.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
The rules need to be changed, if a race is rained out the winner should be the points leader. Tony Stewart would have won.

sign0167.gif
:rofl2:

linkster

Oct 15, 2008
Arlington, MA
I could not see running the rest of the race on Monday for only for 27 laps. I was at the race and honestly I did not hear a single person bitching about the race being called, at least from the people sitting around me in turn one. Even tailgating afterward the consensus seemed to be that the weather was part of racing and "thems the the breaks." However, I am not sure there is an easy answer to this question as I might have felt differently if race was called at lap 152. From NASCAR and the track promoter's view I can certainly understand the logistical side of the argument.

Raceimages

Nov 17, 2008
Fairfield, CA
www.raceimages.net
12 or 1 central time.....like it used to be. Keep it simple. Heck, if I'm on the west coast, a 10 am start time would be awesome. ;)

I hear that, starting at 2:30 last week at Sonoma was an absolute joke. I didn't partake but if you wanted to get some drivers autographs you had to be at the trailers at 7am.

Start these races at 11am local, it makes better sense for the fans who have to drive home and go to work the next day. I know of a lot of people who don't go to the races anymore just for that reason.

As for the rain debate, it's always been 1 lap past halfway and it's official. Everyone knows it going in.