The Offical Inaugral DRC RDT: 2008 Pep Boys 500

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I thought this would be a great way to get this show rolling. Hopefully this will be a good race. The truck race was awful until the end, so hopefully a few more guys are competitive today.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I just flipped over to the race and HOLY SMOKES! there's a LOT of empty seats.

Are people thinking that the 'chase' is over? Is it the track? Something else? I can't believe it's always "the economy". Gas in my town is now $2.19.

I don't know what nascar can do but I do think that they need to do something to jazz things up a bit. Easier said than done, I know.

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
Atlanta has had attendance problems for a while now. not sure why, there is usually an exciting finish there.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
To defend the sport, Atlanta is a terrible sports town in general. The Braves couldnt sell out Brave Stadium when they were in the middle of intense playoff runs.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
OK, I'm gonna ask a question. It's JUST a question, OK?

Doesn't Atlanta have a large black population? They generally don't care for racing. The Flacons were getting good attendance when Vick was still there.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Without taking this to a racial route, but there are a TONNE of people who ive met in the States that believe that is why Atlanta doesnt support the auto racing, baseball, hockey etc. I dont follow Basketball, do they sell out their games?

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I don't think it's racial, just a matter of fact. That certain groups like certain things. There's nothing wrong with that. Lubbock, Tx is probably 85% hispanic and they could care less for nascar but they sure love them cowboys.

There's also a difference in age groups. Baseball seems to be struggling with the young but the older folks love it.

Personally, if I were the owner of the atlanta track I'd tear it up and build another bristol/richmond type of short track. Better to do that NOW than to let it continue to die slowly. HOWEVER, the switching of the dates next year could be great. (Heck, just about anything's better than that california track)

Oct 20, 2008
Cobblestone Grave
In New York while we all all there on the stick and ball sorts, the fanbase for metropolitan, urban and Long Island is growing pretty rapidly. I see alot more Blacks, Latino, and its getting the attention for the Asain community as well. Most of them are really into the modded up, nossed up, tricked out cars and I am seeing our numbers on the machines.

Oct 20, 2008
Cobblestone Grave
hey we had more peeps than usual last night. LOL. I see alot of empty seats at alot of NHL games this year too even at The house Messier cries like a baby at and Brodeur Palace. I also see a heck of alot of emptys at races too.

DexterMorgan

Oct 22, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Broduer stadium has always been empty. Detroit is suffering big time, Nashville, Atlanta, Phoenix are all NHL markets that are going to hell quickly. THe only markets that are thriving are the canadian markets, I believe every canadian team sells out every game, or at least has this year.

TVsMike

Oct 14, 2008
Shawnee, KS
We have a brand new arena here in KC and they have been lobbying like hell to get either an NBA or NHL franchise here, but its just not going to sell. We couldn't even keep lower-tier hockey and "professional" basketball teams here, so my guess is, they are really going to have to work a lot harder! There is an AFL team there, but ticket sales are iffy most times.

Its too bad too, because its a kick-ass arena.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
When I was still living in middle TN I tried to go to every hockey game I could because I love it.

But the Titans/NFL have taken over the area. My mother was never into sports the whole time I was growing up. Now she's a HUGE Titans fan with season tickets.

And with ticket prices for every thing being so high people have to choose. And if you have a choice of an exciting NFL game or a boring 1.5 mile race........

Oct 20, 2008
Cobblestone Grave
I love going to hockey games, my husband is a die hard Ranger Fan (alot of tension on hockey nights), and I think the energy, the spirit and the amount of fun we have at games be it either team's arena. I love going into the city so going to the garden is not so bad. Hockey rules!