The Microsoft Word dispute

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I'm a little surprised a thread hasn't already been started about this, considering the large anti-Beth crowd we seem to have here.

I thought it was interesting...I don't remember Howard ever going off on Beth like that before. And over something so random as saving a Microsoft Word document. Interesting that Howard doesn't want her to write a book...and interesting that Beth thinks her husband purposely sabotoged her work. Sounds like they may have some trust issues going on.

Howard: "I was fuming fuckin' mad. You gotta be fuckin' kidding me, you're gonna pin that on me?!?! Take responsibility for your work, learn how to work your program, and save your fuckin' material! I stormed outta the goddamn room..."

sodomite

Banned
Apr 28, 2009
I suspect the fight was really about her best freind and Howard demanding to know if Beth has a boy toy too.;)

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
I'm a little surprised a thread hasn't already been started about this, considering the large anti-Beth crowd we seem to have here. [/I]"
I'm not anti Beth it's just the fact that she's not as fine as Howard thinks she is. I would hit it if she GAVE it to me but I wouldn't pursue her to try to get some.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Seriously how fucking hard is it to hit save or go up to file...... then save as. I like the caller that said instead of her going out at night to red carpet events she should take a basic computer class.

Die_LaMattres

Oct 13, 2008
A 30 something woman can't save a Word document in one room while a 55 year old man wins a four hour Internet chess match in another. Certainly sounds like a normal Saturday afternoon to me. LOL

Beth writing her book at the only time Howard is off sounds like Howard's similar strategy (writing in the basemet) using "work" as an excuse to escape family contact. Can't say I blame her. The rest of the book will be completed Monday through Thursday from 11:00 AM on.

Reactions: Ehilbert1

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Doesn't Word autosave? I missed the show today so I didn't hear this in it's entirety.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Seriously how fucking hard is it to hit save or go up to file...... then save as.

It's verging on rocket science. You can see here how confused she looks...

horse-computer.jpg

...my lame attempt at equine humor, I apologize.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Good stuff AJ good stuff. :bigclap:

Sal is my inspiration. Is that a bad thing? Can't be good...

I suppose I've joined the dark side with that poke at Beth. For what it's worth, I actually think she's very attractive...and she looks more like Jack Nicholson as The Joker to me. More so than a horse, anyway.

I'm about an hour into the show right now, and Howard seems very upset this morning. I wonder if the whole Microsoft Word situation is eating at him?

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
Forgive me, but I missed this on the show and am just going off of what I'm reading here. What exactly happened?

It sounds similar to an episode in my life. This was WAY back, when PC=Commodore 64/128. My sister was writing a term paper in one of the word processing programs of the day. It was a really long document. Anyway, she left it for over an hour to B.S. on the phone with one of her friends. The setup for the computer workstation was pretty weak. The computer was plugged into a switched outlet. Both outlets were hooked to the same switch there, and in the other outlet, a fan was plugged in. We didn't have central air in that house. I was getting cold, so I turned the fan off, not at the fan itself, but at the switch. Needless to say, the computer went down with it, and she wasn't saving. She was PISSED, but I didn't feel guilty about it. :D

I thought Word autosaved too?

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I thought Word autosaved too?

I know mine does.

Forgive me, but I missed this on the show and am just going off of what I'm reading here. What exactly happened?

Just to fill you in briefly, a quick synopsis. Beth is apprently writing some sort of book...I'm not sure what about, I must have missed that part. But Howard says he's not in favor of her doing that, for whatever reason. Anyway, Beth was working on it (over the weekend, I think?), and she couldn't quite figure out how to save the file. Howard said he showed her how, but when she tried to open the file again, I guess some if it hadn't saved. Beth got upset at Howard, accusing him of giving her faulty instructions. Howard got upset at the accusations, and he voiced his displeasure this morning in the first 30 minutes. I thought it was really interesting...do catch the replay if you can.

If I got any of the above summary incorrect, someone feel free to correct me...

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Don't most word processors have an option for "Open recently saved document?"

5thstreet

Dec 31, 2008
Minetto, NY
I think this might be the start of the return of "the old Howard" that some people (not I) are nostalgic for. Cranky and married Howard. I think there may have been fireworks if somebody made a mistake today.

On the WUS, it was revealed that Benjy was VERY close to being late today. That could have been an explosive situation.

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
I know mine does.

Just to fill you in briefly, a quick synopsis. Beth is apprently writing some sort of book...I'm not sure what about, I must have missed that part. But Howard says he's not in favor of her doing that, for whatever reason. Anyway, Beth was working on it (over the weekend, I think?), and she couldn't quite figure out how to save the file. Howard said he showed her how, but when she tried to open the file again, I guess some if it hadn't saved. Beth got upset at Howard, accusing him of giving her faulty instructions. Howard got upset at the accusations, and he voiced his displeasure this morning in the first 30 minutes. I thought it was really interesting...do catch the replay if you can.

If I got any of the above summary incorrect, someone feel free to correct me...

The book is that damn pet book. He has mentioned it before, but he never mentioned being against it before.

Sounds like the Honeymoon is over. :D

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I think this might be the start of the return of "the old Howard" that some people (not I) are nostalgic for. Cranky and married Howard.

As a newer listener of Howard's (since 2006), I never had the opportunity to hear the angrier, crankier version of Howard that I read so much about on this forum. For that reason, I'm hoping you're onto something here about the return of "Old Howard". And hearing him this morning, I kind of thought the same thing. I love the show in its current incarnation, but I do feel like I missed out when people bring up "the good ole days".

sodomite

Banned
Apr 28, 2009
It's verging on rocket science. You can see here how confused she looks...

horse-computer.jpg

...my lame attempt at equine humor, I apologize.
Lol. It's great to see Beth embracing the new technology. I imagine like a lot of great works, she has wrote most of her previous stuff on a typewriter instead of the computer. This must be why she doesn't know how to use word. These brillian,t stubborn artists and their aversion to new technology is noble in a way. I salute her.

Attachments

• qxq8zr.jpg
    qxq8zr.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 13

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
Autosave is helpful but not complete. It's still a temp file, not autosaving your changes to the original file until you save and close. It's hard trying to teach someone when they are upset and/or frustrated. It's too bad it wasn't on her Blackberry, since Howard's an expert on that... :rolleyes:

My wife and I got into a beef this morning because she asked me if I'd sprayed some weed killer. I told her it was useless right now as it had just rained and might rain some more. She said some people told her (her online yenta friends) that it can be a good time to spray because the water helps carry the spray down into the ground. I said that might be good for fertilizer type stuff but weed killer would just be diluted and/or washed away. She accused me of being a know-it-all, I accused her of listening to her know-it-all friends that didn't read the bottle of spray I bought. She slammed the door... By the time I left for work we were over it. Their fight sounds about as trivial, its just that they don't do it that often.