The Loss of A Legend

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The voice of baseball from my youth will be leaving us soon.

Ernie Harwell Has Incurable Cancer
Harwell Spent 42 Years Broadcasting Detroit Tigers Games

DETROIT -- Longtime broadcaster Ernie Harwell, who spent 42 of his 55 years as a broadcaster calling Detroit Tigers games, has been diagnosed with incurable cancer.

The 91-year-old Harwell, who was in the Tigers' broadcast booth from 1960 until he retired in 2002, remains upbeat after an inoperable tumor was found in the area of the bile duct.

Harwell was given a prognosis of one year, but said that doesn't get him down.

The rest of the story.

Baseball is losing a legend.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
I remember hearing him every once in a while. He had a wonderful life :)

God Bless and comfort his family and friends :candle:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Damn! That stinks. I remember hearing him on some TV broadcasts when I had the Baseball package. Good broadcaster, better guy.

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
Ernie may be the greatest radio personality in Detroit history.

Today, I went to a sports shop and bought a baseball he signed for $75. I know that he'll be dead soon and the ball will become an original, but I might keep it.

One of the greatest things about Harwell is how he could bring a city together during its time of need. When Detroit was rioting in the late 60's, a common phrase amongst rioters was "drop that brick! The Tigers are on!" Of course, they won the World Series in 1968, and it was Ernie who helped calm a city down, if only for a few hours.

However, Ernie has lived a nice, long life. There won't be any more people like him, ever.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Ernie may be the greatest radio personality in Detroit history.

Today, I went to a sports shop and bought a baseball he signed for $75. I know that he'll be dead soon and the ball will become an original, but I might keep it.

One of the greatest things about Harwell is how he could bring a city together during its time of need. When Detroit was rioting in the late 60's, a common phrase amongst rioters was "drop that brick! The Tigers are on!" Of course, they won the World Series in 1968, and it was Ernie who helped calm a city down, if only for a few hours.

However, Ernie has lived a nice, long life. There won't be any more people like him, ever.

True.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
A year to live at 91 is not as bad as a year to live at 35. He was probably due to die soon anyways.

Not that death is ever a good thing.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I read that yesterday - seems he is still in good spirits. And he should be knowing how many millions of people his voice has touched over the years. Baseball games haven't been the same since he retired. Every time I hear his voice, I'm taken back to a time when I was young, my Dad was fixing up his boat with my brother and I "helping", while we listened to Ernie and Paul call the game.